Ladies - Short Program | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Ladies - Short Program

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Alissa was lovely but definitely overscored...that flip got an edge call but it should have got a UR call as well.

Carolina was a little off but she held it together. Funny how that color yellow isn't as much of an eyesore on her as it is on Rachael:laugh:...I think Carolina has a better skin tone for it...

So proud of Caroline! Surprisingly big jumps and better speed. I really hope she has a good performance tomorrow.

Haruka was gorgeous! I'm quickly falling in love with this girl. That program is so beautiful! The judges hammered her a bit (edge call on lutz and UR on 2a) but that was a solid performance and she's within striking distance for a medal.

Elene and Ksenia had meltdowns...shame.

It's going to be interesting to see if Alissa can hold it together tomorrow.

burntBREAD

Medalist
Protocols

Czisny: Edge call on the flip (-1 and -2s), level fours on all spins with insane GOEs to match.
Kostner: Lost on GOEs compared to Czisny. Her jumps got her more points, but Czisny devoured her on spins
Zhang: NO URs or DGs!!!!!
Imai: Ur'ed the 2A, would've been third otherwise
Makarova: Got hit hard. Ur'ed the loop combo, and because it was with a single toe, mandatory -3's.
Marchei/Gedevanishvili: Ditto

Recalling: Rules are a solo triple out of steps and a triple triple/double combo. If you don't do either of those things, mandatory -3 GOE. The only benefit to adding the double toe to the double jump (like Gedevanishvili did) or a single toe to the triple (a la Makarova) is to boost up the base value.

I'm wondering why the negatives on Imai's loop? It was quite good!

skatinginbc

Medalist
People, you really need to stop doubting Alissa. She's improving her jump technique. She's upping her technical game. She's bringing back the salchow. She's conquering her nerves. She's fine. She's awesome, she's graceful and lovely and will win worlds.
I love what you said.:thumbsup:

treeloving

Medalist
I'm I the only one who think Carolina should lead. She may a little bit off in step sequence, but other part is gorgeous. Great line and choreography, speed.

This is the first time ever that I think her PCS is too low

Alissa is lovely as well, great for her

LeCygne

Final Flight
I think it'll be a battle between Alissa and Carolina for gold (I think Alissa will be fine if she skates decently) and Caroline and Haruka for bronze. If Caroline sticks with it and hits her lutz and second flip, she has a good chance for a medal. She gave away some points in two L3 spins in the SP though. No reason that should happen to someone of her spinning ability. She has had the same three spins for many seasons.. time for a bit of tweaking?

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I understand Caroline goes for 3Lo-3Lo after seeing the huge one on SP!!

I know! I couldn't see it at first but I could totally see it now. That flip had great lift and her 3lp was gorgeous! She's getting really good height on her jumps now! :thumbsup:

skatinginbc

Medalist
Caro's program was lovely. A few bobbles and I believe she finished after the music, but overall I thought it was great.

She was WAY behind the music. Did she get a deduction for that? If not, then I think the video or sound feed might have a problem so that it did not synchronize with the action. Did you notice that the music already started before she even took the stand?

burntBREAD

Medalist
She was WAY behind the music. Did she get a deduction for that? If not, then I think the video or sound feed might have a problem so that it did not synchronize with the action. Did you notice that the music already started before she even took the stand?

I think it's the video, because when I watched the stream she ended RIGHT on the last beat.

EDIT: Yeah, the music started before she was in her starting position on the video, so the audio was forward.

jiggs

On the Ice

The video and sound were totally out of synch. We will have to wait for a good version on youtube but when I watched on livestream I thought her movements were spot on!

skfan

Final Flight
I'm I the only one who think Carolina should lead. She may a little bit off in step sequence, but other part is gorgeous. Great line and choreography, speed.

This is the first time ever that I think her PCS is too low

Alissa is lovely as well, great for her

nope. i too think kostner should lead. despite the stumbles, there's a freedom, a lack of stiffness, a flow to her movements that among today's competitors only she and mao have. she had better speed, better jumps, plus the best program (music + choreo) among the ladies i've seen (i haven't seen zhang's yet). i'm one of those who don't worship alissa c's fast but with so-so position spins, so to me there's no vast difference there. i also thought alissa c's 1st jump had a 2 foot (the toe-pick). yeah, i know, i didn't have slow-mo, i'm not a judge, blah blah blah, but i can make my own ranking (no funding envelope depends on it, so i'm free :)

for those whose taste runs to pretty-in-pink (as mine does), haruka imai's was the best of those pretty barbie doll programs. for once i prefer kostner's artsy program to all the pretty barbies, even haruka imai. maybe lori nichol still has some creativity left in her after all (good news for me, since mao has yet to move to tom dickson :)

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Alissa was divine. Her speed across the ice was beautiful. Even her spins seemed faster than usual. I like the ballerina look too...it suits her so well.

skatinginbc

Medalist
Believe it or not, even with the out-of-synch video, I still loved her program. The music tickled me. I watched with a smile all the way through. A happy program to watch, indeed. And I loved the unusual movements or postures in that choreography. Who is the choreographer, by the way? I cannot wait to see a better version on youtube.

Last edited:

Andalusia

Final Flight
Oh my, Caroline was gorgeous. I think it's the music that makes this program so right for her; it gives her a sense of freedom that's normally absent in her skating. I was swooning when she did the spreadeagle. And with that loop, I can finally say that I've seen Caroline Zhang jump well! :laugh: I think she'll kind of deteriorate in the free, though, as she'll have too many jumps to get through that she's inconsistent on. However, I'd love to be proven wrong and see her on the podium. At least she's proven that her fans don't have to completely give up on her just yet.

I adored Alissa's skating and she's deservedly in first, but I don't like her cut of La Vie en rose at all. IMO, she's using the lounge version and I would've preferred a full orchestral version all the way through. Still, she skated with such smoothness and completed a footwork sequence that I'm finally impressed with. Here's hoping that she can keep it together for the long, although I must say that I wasn't a fan of the program when I saw it at the Japan Open.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
I'm Shocked, Shocked I Say...

It's Sunday here in Beijing, and after heading out to church and then to brunch, I return to check the Ladies' and :eek: :eek: Caroline Zhang is in a respectable 3rd place. At first I thought this was some sort of mistake but then checked and indeed, I was on the official ISU site. After the last couple of years, who'd a' thunk it? We'll see how the FS goes...but as long as she puts out a pretty good program, I'll tally it in the "victory" column, medal or not.

(For now I'll take that slice of humble pie to go, thanks.....)

jiggs

On the Ice
Believe it or not, even with the out-of-synch video, I still loved her program. The music tickled me. I watched with a smile all the way through. A happy program to watch, indeed. And I loved the unusual movements or postures in that choreography. Who is the choreographer, by the way? I cannot wait to see a better version on youtube.

Here it is with fixed audio http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deuIorP3HEs

Last edited:

ordinary person

On the Ice
So sad Caroline won't getthe gold, but everybody knows it's between Alissa and Carolina now which is still exciting to see.