LADIES LONG PROGRAM Thread | Page 12 | Golden Skate

LADIES LONG PROGRAM Thread

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I was shocked that Alissa won instead of Carolina, but then I saw that Carolina still won the FS. That was a really clean FS for Carolina. I wasn't that impressed with Alissa's error-marred skate, but it wasn't horrible. I'm happy that Viktoria H got a bronze medal because she's been a favourite of mine for awhile. I just wish she could have got it with a cleaner skate. And wow, Caroline Zhang really imploded.

krenseby

Final Flight
And wow, Caroline Zhang really imploded.

The thing is, while this may be considered a meltdown, it also should be no surprise to anyone. Both this season and last, she has tended to consistently botch her jumps. While nerves certainly play a part, it's a technique issue. She just hasn't mastered the lutz, and her flip is very inconsistent.

Also, congratulations to Carolina Kostner for winning the LP. I wonder whether she should have scored higher in the SP as well.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Kostner skated to a Shostakovich Trio in her SP (it happens to be one of my favorite pieces of music :) )
I thought it would take someone with an acquired taste to appreciate it. You must have a musical ear.
I first came across that trio in a French film a few years ago and immediately fell for it. It's brilliant. I wonder if Carolina has a more musical ear than many skaters; her music choices tend to be interesting and often unusual, which is not common, especially among Nichol-choreographed skaters.

My one quibble with the SP is that she can do even more with the music in some sections. But it looks really good for this early in the season. I haven't yet seen the second group LPs so can't comment on the skating or the results.

I did see the first group, and I would like to say that Makarova and Joshi Helgesson should burn their LP costumes. Makarova needs a new program, period.

Last edited:

Mirunna

Record Breaker
The reason why Carolina performed so well is because she wore the lucky dress :) (this is the same dress she used in 2007 sp at Worlds in Tokio, where she had the SP of her life). It's a beautiful dress, I hope she keeps it for the rest of the season

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
Just watched the final flight. To me Carolina's yet again sophisticated performance stood out and I don't agree with the PCS :( All of Carolina's elements flowed beautifully, whereas Alissa's not so much. Carolina's transition's lower, really?? Did the judges see, for instance, how she entered her first triple loop?

I can't believe I'm wuzrobbing for Carolina who I used to think got overmarked many times!

Caroline :(
Haruka :(

seniorita

Record Breaker
I m fine with the results cause the gap was really small. But when men try harder content and somehow mess it in comparisson to easier content that wins, there is a rush of Oh it is figure skating, not figure jumping. When ladies try harder stuff and mess it and still win, we call it she had a safe cushion because of difficulty. Honestly I was never a Costner fan except for some bright moments she had but both her programs are creative, her sp is really unique and she was flying in the lp with a music choice that i thought is difficult to skate to, either that or I miss Mao, but I havent seen such light skating with such exciting choreo lately. Alissa is beautiful to watch but puts me to sleep, she looks like calculating much and I dont see her posture gushing, especially in the Lp i got annoyed, when she prepares to jump she sets her arms and it is like she is in practice. It is like her jumps dont come out of the choreo. She is amazing for getting back this way since the Olympic season and somehow this is what sport is about, but i dont see how she is on the same level with Carolina (whenever she skates clean).

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
Kostner skated to a Shostakovich Trio in her SP (it happens to be one of my favorite pieces of music :) )

Thanks for this info. I'd never heard of it but I really liked it!! Did Lori Nichol choreograph it (Wiki doesn't say)? Kudos to whoever explores outside the 'traditional' skating music. Traditional is beautiful, but how boring would it be if everyone dismissed anything 'different' as simply 'odd', especially when such dismissal stems from a lack of willingness/curiosity to appreciate/learn about/ be exposed to a wide range of beauty? I played the piano all through high school and all I cared about was choosing the 'bang!' pieces (Beethoven's Pathétique, Tempest, etc.) for recitals! Thanks partly to posters like you and skaters like Kostner, I appreciate different stuff too.

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
I think this has become a matter of attempting high risk jump difficulty results in PCS boost from the judges. Right or wrong, COP judging is known for this and Czisny reaped the benefits here.

You might be right. This was always the case in old judging system.

Bartek

On the Ice
Does America finally have next top lady contender? It seems that judges picks a skater every season and give her high components. Last season it was Ando and Costner. This season Czisny and Costner.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kudos to whoever explores outside the 'traditional' skating music. Traditional is beautiful, but how boring would it be if everyone dismissed anything 'different' as simply 'odd', especially when such dismissal stems from a lack of willingness/curiosity to appreciate/learn about/ be exposed to a wide range of beauty?

I totally agree with you! This is a big reason why skaters like Savchenko/Szolkowy, Abbott, Lambiel, Buttle, Kostner, Kozuka, Crone/Poirier, Savoie, just to name a few, are so special to me! I REALLY appreciate skaters who think and step outside of the box and give the audience members something unique to truly treasure. :yes::)

Last edited:
I m fine with the results cause the gap was really small. But when men try harder content and somehow mess it in comparisson to easier content that wins, there is a rush of Oh it is figure skating, not figure jumping. When ladies try harder stuff and mess it and still win, we call it she had a safe cushion because of difficulty. Honestly I was never a Costner fan except for some bright moments she had but both her programs are creative, her sp is really unique and she was flying in the lp with a music choice that i thought is difficult to skate to, either that or I miss Mao, but I havent seen such light skating with such exciting choreo lately. Alissa is beautiful to watch but puts me to sleep, she looks like calculating much and I dont see her posture gushing, especially in the Lp i got annoyed, when she prepares to jump she sets her arms and it is like she is in practice. It is like her jumps dont come out of the choreo. She is amazing for getting back this way since the Olympic season and somehow this is what sport is about, but i dont see how she is on the same level with Carolina (whenever she skates clean).
Exactly. Alissa's arms bother me too. She's overhyped IMO. That's what winning a few will do for you. Until another US lady can do better, she gets the America's sweetheart treatment.

christinaskater

Medalist
I love the nuances in Carolina's program. She has become one of my fave skaters since this years worlds. I love her regal demeanor and musicality. She has improved immensely through the years in this dept.

Alissa is the queen of spins! She is an incredible artist as well. This maybe her year!

npavel

On the Ice
About watered content for Kostner, she is the only one who did a 3-3 in the whole competition

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
After watching Carolina and Alissa I have to say that Carolina was robbed big time. And i'm usually not her biggest fan. USFSA was certainly at work ensuring that Alissa was set up to be the next "top lady" in skating. That freeskate usually would be desrve a medal. never mind gold. It is a beautiful program. Her speed is much improved and her elegance is unquestionable. But these are the qualities that Carolina is generally accepted as having too. Carolina's skate was almost clean, she too had a beautifully choreographed program and really performed it well. Evan Alissa's SP, was not perfectly clean so I don't see where she got that much of a lead from that portion of the competition. Just saying...if this was GRand Prix Paris the decision would have been different.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Yay for the "mature" persevering Ladies. :yay:

Put Carolina in the Fine Wine category. :thumbsup: Kudos too to Alissa.

Hope that Caroline is encouraged by these champions.