Pairs LP Thread | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Pairs LP Thread

jcoates

Medalist
HHmm.....why would some have full screen and clear and others not? Could it be the difference between a cable provider vs. satelite?

That is not an issue that is solely limited to the broadcaster or carrier. Most newer TVs (made within the last 4-5 years) can be adjusted to account for the way a broadcaster or carrier delivers the signal. If your TV is newer, check out your remote. Look for a button that is labeled with something including the word size. That will likely allow you to adjust the size of the image onscreen. There would be a range of choices. Your user manual could give some direction on this. UniSports works best on both of my TVs when they are set to the Zoom 2 setting. It gets rid of the black bars altogether. If you have that option, you should be able to have the same result.

Hope you have the option and that this helps when you watch in the future.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to Aliona and Robin. Brilliant program. Their level of difficulty is insane.

Good effort by the Zhangs. Beautifully choreographed program they just need to breath a little more life into it.
I really enjoyed it.

Loved the Canadian couple. Their lifts are just incredible.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
This program from S/S is so much more sophisticated and ambitious than all their past programs put together. It's a blessed miracle! For those of you who may not know, they're using music and inspiration from the film Pina, a conceptual dance film where the choreography of Pina Bausch (RIP) is performed offstage in various interesting locations. And it's in 3D! It's Germany's submission to the Oscars best foreign language film category for 2012.

I do wish, however, that S/S used a bit more of this bit from the film: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_0kvICz1ac

Ilvskating

Final Flight
It seems that I'm the minority. I really don't like S/S's program this year. I just can't see much indication of months dance training. Maybe I'll get used to it. I didn't like their last year's lp either at the beginning, but it was fine later.

Art&Sport

Medalist
I think D/C getting higher PCS than B/L is the biggest farce of Skate America.

B/L still have a lot of room for growth and development of their presentation skills. I don't think B/L should be rated that far off from D/C (a new team finding their rhythm and identity), however I can see D/C receiving a bit higher PCS. I thought both of B/L programs are boring and they tend to look juniorish -- to me they don't seem to show much growth from last season. Perhaps the programs/ music/ choreo they have chosen are problematic in helping them to demonstrate their growth. While D/C are also still developing and working on their line and presentation skills, they showed more maturity, and also connection as a pair on the ice.

ITA with everyone who love S/S/ & S, and their new programs. A joy to watch, and something engaging and interesting to experience upon every viewing. I wish I could see them live in competition. I wasn't as enamored of their last season's programs, but both grew on me as the season progressed -- and S/S definitely are not boring. They have always had range, excitement, and unique moves. I've loved them at hello (since 2005 Worlds).

Sad for Mary Beth and Rockne. I hope they will rally for their next GP, and come out strong and prepared for U.S. Nationals.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Okay, while we expected brilliance from S/S/S, I'm surprised at how much I really liked MT/M's program. Their short was annoying, even though they clearly are trying to improve their sophistication, but their long program is quite beautiful. Is it just the music? I don't think so - how some of the elements are timed and match the swell of the score (particularly the second lift), Kirsten's positions, how she's holding the landings of her throws.... I have to admit, I'm really impressed. I thought it was a fait accompli that they'd be losing their National title this season to Duhamel/Radford and be fighting with Lawrence/Swiegers for the second spot. Now I'm not so sure.

Art&Sport

Medalist
This program from S/S is so much more sophisticated and ambitious than all their past programs put together. It's a blessed miracle! For those of you who may not know, they're using music and inspiration from the film Pina, a conceptual dance film where the choreography of Pina Bausch (RIP) is performed offstage in various interesting locations. And it's in 3D! It's Germany's submission to the Oscars best foreign language film category for 2012.

I do wish, however, that S/S used a bit more of this bit from the film: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_0kvICz1ac

Thanks for that "Strength and Beauty" clip. S/S did obviously use more of the music, meaning, and movement from this clip, "Lean on Me":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1qh-gZtqWs&feature=relmfu

What an inspired concept and choice of music to explore for them. Now that I've seen the inspiration for some of the movement ideas, it will enhance my enjoyment of watching them skate this program all season long. "Lean on Me," concept kinda reflects the partnership of this threesome: S/S & S (they have certainly been through a lot together and never once gave up on each other). :) Pina, seems to be a great dance film! I'd love to see the whole film.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I quite enjoyed Vise & Baldwin's program--but then I always get a kick out of mirror pairs. And they were so happy with how they skated! That is always nice to see. And they were quite charming when their music got messed up twice.

I was happy that the Zhangs were able to make a successful comeback. Their LP will only get better as their training progresses and their stamina improves.

And Robin & Aliona were great, and I'm thrilled that they're going for the 3Ath, too. I'd like to see more dance in their LP though-I think the program just needs more miles on it.

Art&Sport

Medalist
It seems that I'm the minority. I really don't like S/S's program this year. I just can't see much indication of months dance training. Maybe I'll get used to it. I didn't like their last year's lp either at the beginning, but it was fine later.

You see no indication of months of dance training by S/S? Well, I guess you had to be there with them when they were practicing. I definitely see the evidence... also remember, it is modern dance they are expressing. What's not to like about their programs? You don't like the edgy style and always different look, and their range and innovative moves that have helped push pairs skating forward in the new millennium? Just asking, cuz maybe you like the traditional style of some other pairs better?

bekalc

Record Breaker
You see no indication of months of dance training by S/S? Well, I guess you had to be there with them when they were practicing. I definitely see the evidence... also remember, it is modern dance they are expressing. What's not to like about their programs? You don't like the edgy style and always different look, and their range and innovative moves that have helped push pairs skating forward in the new millennium? Just asking, cuz maybe you like the traditional style of some other pairs better?

I love what S/S bring to the ice. I also love what the Russian pairs at their best have brought to the ice too. While reports of B/L lacking power etc, make me understand their PCS better. Watching Vera hit beautiful positions, and her lovely toe point, makes me want to shake most of these pairs skaters. The problem with most of pairs skating is most of these skaters don't have the innovation/creativity etc of S/S nor do they have the beautiful traditional style of the old Soviet pairs. I really think pair skating is the most difficult discipline to do truly well.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Savchenko/Szolkowy's program is a masterpiece even with the small technical difficulties they had. I thought the Zhangs might have scored a bit closer to them, but overall I'm happy with the results. I'm glad the Canadians got a bronze medal, too. Denney and Coughlin skated well but they are rather bland, and I can't help but add that John probably could have got that same result (or better) if he had stayed with Caitlin. I felt sorry for Marley and Brubaker because of her three falls, but I thought they skated nicely anyway. I just wasn't feeling Bazarova and Larionov - as usual.

feraina

Record Breaker
Watching in person, I thought S/S's program didn't have much energy/life, Z/Z got quite slow/labored toward the end, and B/L were shockingly lacking in power/speed. Vera seemed incredibly frail, no power in her stroking at all -- beautiful lines and posture and all, it was almost all stationary. It felt like he was dragging her at points.
In contrast, the NA couples had a lot more speed/power/energy/pizazz, MT/M, D/C, and even V/B all had wonderful programs that got the audience energized. We were all rather disappointed by D/C's scores. I didn't get their FS from the summer competitions, but today they made the program come alive. I'm glad that at least MT/M got a medal.

Buttercup

Record Breaker

Thanks for that "Strength and Beauty" clip. S/S did obviously use more of the music, meaning, and movement from this clip, "Lean on Me":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1qh-gZtqWs&feature=relmfu

What an inspired concept and choice of music to explore for them. Now that I've seen the inspiration for some of the movement ideas, it will enhance my enjoyment of watching them skate this program all season long. "Lean on Me," concept kinda reflects the partnership of this threesome: S/S & S (they have certainly been through a lot together and never once gave up on each other). :) Pina, seems to be a great dance film! I'd love to see the whole film.
There's definitely some inspiration from "Wet" as well. I'd love to see the movie - it looks so unique! And it would be fun to try and spot the different sections that inspired the program.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I m so happy I watched fs finally on tv that i dont want to look at youtube, I remember all programs by heart and S/S Lp was by far my fav in all disciplines! They are so creative and modern. I was thinking the swan lake of V/T and i think I got depressed. There's no match.

KKonas

Medalist
Frankly I didn't care for any of the long programs. S/S had a lot of difficulty but to me it was just weird and their GOEs were not that good. They will need to work harder to make it palatable to the judges, who pretty much hated the program judging by the low component scores for World champions. Denney & Coughlin's program is "empty." Their SP is fine because it's shorter. Poor Brubaker. He is a good skater and is now stuck with a 16 year old child who looks 12 and is an inconsistent jumper. Always thought this was a poor decision on his part. Did see Meno & Sand backstage - they are mostly their day-to-day coaches. Their two boys are now 5 & 6. Nicks was also there wearing shades. I said how great he looked (he's 83) and typical of his British dry wit, he said, "You're surprised?" Peter Carruthers was also there doing backstage interviews. Worked with him for 10 years. He looks good.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Frankly I didn't care for any of the long programs. S/S had a lot of difficulty but to me it was just weird and their GOEs were not that good. They will need to work harder to make it palatable to the judges, who pretty much hated the program judging by the low component scores for World champions.
Actually their PCS was pretty much in the same range as their past early season performances. The widely admired Out of Africa had a PCS less than 2 points higher in it debut. Schindler's List, as far as I can see, received lower marks.

Pina is an ambitious program, both technically and conceptually, and they're clearly still in the process of becoming comfortable with it; I expect the PCS to go up as the season progresses. I understand that you weren't a fan - and Robin Szolkowy said in an interview he figured people would either love it or hate it - but judging from the responses I've seen so far, the reaction appears to be quite positive. I look forward to seeing how they develop the program.

KKonas

Medalist
Actually their PCS was pretty much in the same range as their past early season performances. The widely admired Out of Africa had a PCS less than 2 points higher in it debut. Schindler's List, as far as I can see, received lower marks.

Pina is an ambitious program, both technically and conceptually, and they're clearly still in the process of becoming comfortable with it; I expect the PCS to go up as the season progresses. I understand that you weren't a fan - and Robin Szolkowy said in an interview he figured people would either love it or hate it - but judging from the responses I've seen so far, the reaction appears to be quite positive. I look forward to seeing how they develop the program.

I like S&S fine - I just don't like this program. I was there in front of him when Robin made this comment. It will be interesting to see after the judges' feedback what they change. Ingo has always had a stubborn streak so who knows what changes we will see to this program if any. Ingo did the choreo on this and even chose the music - so win or lose - it's Ingo's baby.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
I'm so impressed with the improvement Moore-Towers Moscovitch have made. Not only are they going for greater technical difficuty, they seem to skate with a much smoother, more refined style this year and are really emoting. So excited to see these great programs progress!