Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Skate Canada Predictions

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    I like your podium, but if Ashley earned one of those medals I would be very happy. She needs to break out of the middle this season.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikiAndoFan#1 View Post
    I definitely agree. I really want Ashley to have her moment!

I wouldn't mind if Ashley snagged one of those spots either. She's been working really hard and I think she'll end up with two of the better programs of the season. I liked what I saw of her Black Swan program earlier this summer, so if she's been working on polishing it, it should be great. If she nails her jumps, she should be a podium threat.

Custom Title
    This may come as no surprise, but Nathalie Pechalat and Fabian Bourzat withdrew from the competition per the roster dated on 10/26/2011.

About the whole three appearance Grand Prix option in general, this is a terrible idea. The sine qua non of competition is a level playing field. You cannot have a contest where a few select players get two out of three while everyone else is do or die.

Plus, the whole notion that the presence of last year's champs will boost interest and attendance is more wishful thinking than anything else. Right now I believe that the only athletes that are scheduled for three events are leonova, Brezina, Kavaguti & Smirnov, and Weaver & Poje. Michal B. was a treat at Skate America, but I do not think that any additional tickets were sold in anticipation of his participation.

Even if, say, world champions Miki Ando and Davis & White decided to grace an additional event outside their own country, I doubt that it would matter all that much at the gate.

Ladies predictions!

http://thenakedice.blogspot.com/2011...edictions.html

Way too hard to call but I am hoping Mirai wins this...or at least makes the podium!

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    who is commenting on skatebuzz feed?

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Plus, the whole notion that the presence of last year's champs will boost interest and attendance is more wishful thinking than anything else. Right now I believe that the only athletes that are scheduled for three events are leonova, Brezina, Kavaguti & Smirnov, and Weaver & Poje. Michal B. was a treat at Skate America, but I do not think that any additional tickets were sold in anticipation of his participation.
    Terry Gannon said during the Skate America broadcast that Carolina Kostner is also slated for 3 events this GP season. He said in addition to skating in America, she is also scheduled for China and France. Of all the current ladies competing, Kostner would be the biggest draw for me, personally.
    Last edited by museksk8r; 10-27-2011 at 11:36 AM.

Custom Title
    Just noticed Lawrence/Swiegers are using "Beetlejuice" as their SP music! I love that soundtrack! They and Takahashi/Tran are my favorite teams here. Speaking of T/T, she's showing bigger height on her SBS 3T, maybe she'll land her jumps more often this year? That was their big downfall last year. Their SP is awesome.
    Last edited by burntBREAD; 10-27-2011 at 12:12 PM.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Without knowing, just from hearing voices, in Pairs Group 1, it was Debbie Wilkes, Ted Barton, and Jaimie McGrigor, I believe!!!

Sitting Here on Blue Jay Way silver.blades's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Paul Martini is one of the commentators for pairs

Custom Title
    Maybe we should move the practice discussion to the Practice Reports thread?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Ladies predictions!

http://thenakedice.blogspot.com/2011...edictions.html

Way too hard to call but I am hoping Mirai wins this...or at least makes the podium!
    Can you allow anonymous comments on that blog? I think a lot of people would like to discuss posts, but are twitchy about signing up for yet another account.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by silver.blades View Post
    Paul Martini is one of the commentators for pairs
    Nope, my suspicions were confirmed...it said who I named above - though maybe Paul was there earlier!!

Custom Title
    SC Predictions

MEN
    1. Patrick Chan
    2. Daisuke Takakashi
    3. Ross Miner
    4. Javier Fernandez
    5. Adam Rippon
    6. Kevin Van der Perren
    7. Denis Ten
    8. Andrei Rogozine
    9. Alexander Majorov
    10. Elladj Balde

Balde is the only one who hasn’t made the minimum score, so I assume he’ll be last. Between the new to seniors, Rogozine beat Majorov at WJs, so I’ll stick with that, though Rogozine clean (as in 4-3, two 3As clean) will make things VERY interesting. Then it gets tricky. Van de Perren is one of those skaters people seem to like despite his general lack of figure skating talent (not to be confused with jumping, something he does well). I quite enjoy him when he skates well – not so much for his programs, but for his exuberance after. So I hope he does do well. But I hope the five ahead of him skate much better.

Rippon tends to start out the season AMAZINGLY. His bronze medal at TEB. His JO last season. But then he peters out. If his move to Dunjien/Sato is successful, then it’s likely he won’t be as gangbusters to start with anyway. Should be interesting to see his PCS compared to the rest of the gang. So between Fernandez and Miner for the bronze medal, I went with Miner. Fernandez is still getting his feet together, finding a style, with his new coaching situation. He’s going for a quad in both programs, so if he lands them, I think he’ll be bronze. But I don’t think he’ll get everything together quite so quickly, so Miner gets the bronze, who’ll be afire to prove that last season’s success was no fluke.

Takahashi slots nicely in for the silver medal. His weaknesses will be more strongly felt in the LP than the SP, so a strong SP skate (and it’s a nice program too) will allow the judges to hold him up a bit (if indeed it comes to that) in the LP.

LADIES
    1. Akiko Suzuki
    2. Mirai Nagasu
    3. Elizaveta Tuktamisheva
    4. Alena Leonova
    5. Cynthia Phaneuf
    6. Ashley Wagner
    7. Sarah Hecken
    8. Rachel Flatt
    9. Amelie LaCoste
    10. Adriana Desanctis

Replace Balde with Desanctis. Phaneuf through LaCoste is basically one scramble. Leonova seems ready to challenge here, and I wouldn’t be surprised if she does.

So it’s really the top three that’s up for debate. Mirai, oh Mirai. By all accounts, a really nice person and a talented figure skater. Her Olympic debut was a respectable fourth. She beat Kim and Asada in the SP at worlds. Clearly someone who, when at the top of her game, can be among the best. But she so rarely follows through. We’ve heard about her lack of work ethic and cavalier approach to training. It’s now or never time: if she doesn’t kick it into gear, she’ll be left behind. I’m rather expecting that. Between Tut and Akiko, I’m predicting Akiko due to PCS and the short program in general.

PAIRS
    1. Volosozhar/Trankov
    2. Duhamel/Radford
    3. Sui/Han
    4. Takahashi/Tran
    5. Iliushechkina/Maisuradze
    6. Lawrence/Swiegers
    7. Dube/Wolfe
    8. Yu/Jin

Base value should keep S/H on the podium.

DANCE
    1. Virtue/Moir
    2. Weaver/Poje
    3. Riazanova/Tkachenko
    4. Cappellini/Lanotte
    5. Chock/Bates
    6. Pushkash/Guerreiro
    7. Harvey/Gagnon

C/L get left behind this season, it’ll start here. Though they look sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by brightphoton View Post
    Can you allow anonymous comments on that blog? I think a lot of people would like to discuss posts, but are twitchy about signing up for yet another account.
    I didn't know it was set to only registered users; it's been fixed now. Comment away!

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    C/L get left behind this season, it’ll start here. Though they look sharp.
    I really hope you're wrong. I just love them!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast