Skate Canada Predictions | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Skate Canada Predictions

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Plus, the whole notion that the presence of last year's champs will boost interest and attendance is more wishful thinking than anything else. Right now I believe that the only athletes that are scheduled for three events are leonova, Brezina, Kavaguti & Smirnov, and Weaver & Poje. Michal B. was a treat at Skate America, but I do not think that any additional tickets were sold in anticipation of his participation.

Terry Gannon said during the Skate America broadcast that Carolina Kostner is also slated for 3 events this GP season. He said in addition to skating in America, she is also scheduled for China and France. Of all the current ladies competing, Kostner would be the biggest draw for me, personally. :yes::love:

Last edited:

burntBREAD

Medalist
Just noticed Lawrence/Swiegers are using "Beetlejuice" as their SP music! I love that soundtrack! They and Takahashi/Tran are my favorite teams here. Speaking of T/T, she's showing bigger height on her SBS 3T, maybe she'll land her jumps more often this year? That was their big downfall last year. Their SP is awesome.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
SC Predictions

MEN
1. Patrick Chan
2. Daisuke Takakashi
3. Ross Miner
4. Javier Fernandez
5. Adam Rippon
6. Kevin Van der Perren
7. Denis Ten
8. Andrei Rogozine
9. Alexander Majorov
10. Elladj Balde

Balde is the only one who hasn’t made the minimum score, so I assume he’ll be last. Between the new to seniors, Rogozine beat Majorov at WJs, so I’ll stick with that, though Rogozine clean (as in 4-3, two 3As clean) will make things VERY interesting. Then it gets tricky. Van de Perren is one of those skaters people seem to like despite his general lack of figure skating talent (not to be confused with jumping, something he does well). I quite enjoy him when he skates well – not so much for his programs, but for his exuberance after. So I hope he does do well. But I hope the five ahead of him skate much better.

Rippon tends to start out the season AMAZINGLY. His bronze medal at TEB. His JO last season. But then he peters out. If his move to Dunjien/Sato is successful, then it’s likely he won’t be as gangbusters to start with anyway. Should be interesting to see his PCS compared to the rest of the gang. So between Fernandez and Miner for the bronze medal, I went with Miner. Fernandez is still getting his feet together, finding a style, with his new coaching situation. He’s going for a quad in both programs, so if he lands them, I think he’ll be bronze. But I don’t think he’ll get everything together quite so quickly, so Miner gets the bronze, who’ll be afire to prove that last season’s success was no fluke.

Takahashi slots nicely in for the silver medal. His weaknesses will be more strongly felt in the LP than the SP, so a strong SP skate (and it’s a nice program too) will allow the judges to hold him up a bit (if indeed it comes to that) in the LP.

LADIES
1. Akiko Suzuki
2. Mirai Nagasu
3. Elizaveta Tuktamisheva
4. Alena Leonova
5. Cynthia Phaneuf
6. Ashley Wagner
7. Sarah Hecken
8. Rachel Flatt
9. Amelie LaCoste
10. Adriana Desanctis

Replace Balde with Desanctis. Phaneuf through LaCoste is basically one scramble. Leonova seems ready to challenge here, and I wouldn’t be surprised if she does.

So it’s really the top three that’s up for debate. Mirai, oh Mirai. By all accounts, a really nice person and a talented figure skater. Her Olympic debut was a respectable fourth. She beat Kim and Asada in the SP at worlds. Clearly someone who, when at the top of her game, can be among the best. But she so rarely follows through. We’ve heard about her lack of work ethic and cavalier approach to training. It’s now or never time: if she doesn’t kick it into gear, she’ll be left behind. I’m rather expecting that. Between Tut and Akiko, I’m predicting Akiko due to PCS and the short program in general.

PAIRS
1. Volosozhar/Trankov
2. Duhamel/Radford
3. Sui/Han
4. Takahashi/Tran
5. Iliushechkina/Maisuradze
6. Lawrence/Swiegers
7. Dube/Wolfe
8. Yu/Jin

Base value should keep S/H on the podium.

DANCE
1. Virtue/Moir
2. Weaver/Poje
3. Riazanova/Tkachenko
4. Cappellini/Lanotte
5. Chock/Bates
6. Pushkash/Guerreiro
7. Harvey/Gagnon

C/L get left behind this season, it’ll start here. Though they look sharp.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Can you allow anonymous comments on that blog? I think a lot of people would like to discuss posts, but are twitchy about signing up for yet another account.

I didn't know it was set to only registered users; it's been fixed now. Comment away! :biggrin:

nemequittepas

Rinkside
These are my predictions.

Men:
Chan
Takahashi
Van der Perren
Ten

Ladies:
Mirai
Tukt
Akiko

Pairs:
Volosozhar & Trankov
Dube & Wolfe dead last

Ice Dance:
Tessa & Scott
Weaver & Poje
Cappellini & Lanotte
Chock & Bates

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'm going to go wild & crazy:

Tessa & Scott
Weaver & Poje
Pushkash & Guerreiro
Riazanova & Tkachenko
Capellini & Lanotte
Chock & Bates
Harvey & Gagnon

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Trying to predict the ladies event is almost impossible at any event but especially with a field this deep. Plus you have headcases that could either win or finish 6th.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Men:
1 Chan
2 Fernandez
3 Takahashi
Poor Balde, everyone has him last. Go Eladj, I like your style :rock:

Tricky, tricky... too many wild ladies… I have a feeling Leonova will medal, but where… hm… and who else… I predict this:
1 Susuki
2 Tuktamishieva
3 Leonova

Go Ashley :yes:

Pairs:
1.Volozoshar/Trankov
2.Iliushechkina/Maizuradze
3.Takahashi/Tran

Dance:
1.Virtue/Moir
2.Weaver/Poje
3. Cappelini/Lanotte

icellist

On the Ice
Trying to predict the ladies event is almost impossible at any event but especially with a field this deep. Plus you have headcases that could either win or finish 6th.

so true, i think we should give bonus points to whoever guesses who finish 6th place in any field XD, probalby a lo harder than actual predictions