The Carolina Kostner thread | Golden Skate

The Carolina Kostner thread

Vash01

Medalist
Until last year I never liked Carolina's skating. She skated fast, but fell many times and looked coltish. Suddenly last year I found her skating mature and enjoyable. This year she is more consistent in her jumps, more controlled, and a joy to watch. I am almost a fan at this point. IMO she should have won Skate America over Alissa, whom I like quite a lot. Carolina needs to work on her spins though. At the recent SA, her spins looked really weak.

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
Hear! Hear!

Going back to Michael Huth seems to be working for Carolina. I also recall (perhaps in a Japanese figure skating magazine interview) her saying something along the line with "I just enjoy being on the ice. I wish I didn't make mistakes in big competitions and I feel sad when I do. But that doesn't change my love of skating."

This is another 'transformed' Carolina, skating to Debussy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRy8EA7-HfA

Yuka also skated to the same piece in 1997 by the way.

BlackAxel

Final Flight
Like the poster above, I never ever considered myself a fan of Carolina at all. To be honest, she was my least-favorite skater and much of that stemmed from what I saw as overmarking on her scores. Yet she blew me away last season at Worlds as the last skater to skate and the one who truly won me over in the ladies LP. Her performance to "Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun" was unique and spell-binding to say the least. That LP performance of hers is one of my personal favorites of the season 2010-2011. I know I am not the only one who thinks that Carolina should have won SA but it is what it is. Carolina just needs to keep doing what she is doing and improve her spins and increase her jump difficulty. I hope she has a good season :)

christinaskater

Medalist
I love the repackaged Carolina Kostner! She is now one of my favorite skaters in the world. Her artistry has simply become exquisite. Arguably, she is one of the best artistic and musical skaters now. Her height, beautiful jumps, spirals, hand movements, gestures etc are all beautiful.

britebells

Rinkside
Totally agree with Vash. I definitely have not been her biggest fan, but I thought she did an exquisite job at Skate America. She has transformed into an elegant and graceful skater, with every detail placed just so (I remember noticing how pretty her fingers were. You know that means there is a grace there that was absent before!).

Brilliant!

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Disclaimer -- I have sometimes posted about how I have found some of Caro's performances underwhelming when she has a lot of balance checks and "dragging" free leg on her jumps and bobbles like that. however, overall I find Carolina enchanting and a real artist on the ice. I love so many of her programs, from her canon in D to last years prelude/faun, Vivaldi winter, Prokofiev, Chopin nocturne, and so on. Wasn't really fond of her memoirs of a geisha but for me that just wasn't a good program/skater match. And I really really like this year's sp. Love the music and choreo. I like that caro can do something a little different yet still stay very classical looking on the ice. I want this woman to win gold at the world champs!! She really shows a love of skating and has stayed with it through some big ups and downs. GO CAROLINA!!!

lcd

Match Penalty
She is a such a lovely young lady and in my opinion deserves the accomplishments that has achieved. It has been a very long road for her. Longevity and the maturity that has come with it, without "attitude" or negativity, is to be celebrated in my opinion.

skfan

Final Flight
Carolina has designed and created her 2011/2012 competition costumes. If you scroll down this page, you see the drafts. Quite impressive!
http://www.carolina-kostner.it/E-costumes.htm

thank you for sharing the article about carolina. so interesting, how she chose her short and long program music, the creative process with lori nichol, how she contributes her own ideas, perhaps a bit like the way MK used to work with nichol.

i like carolina's long program unitard very much, now that i've had more time to absorb its impact. i still think the bracelet on the sleeveless arm completely breaks the impression of long lines that she otherwise managed to create. she skips the skirt, but then she has this other... obstruction. ^^ though i see it on so many costumes this season--S/S long, tut's long program red dress, akiko's short, zijun li's short... i just can't get behind the fat bracelet / naked cuff look :)

skateluvr

Record Breaker
until last year i never liked carolina's skating. She skated fast, but fell many times and looked coltish. Suddenly last year i found her skating mature and enjoyable. This year she is more consistent in her jumps, more controlled, and a joy to watch. I am almost a fan at this point. Imo she should have won skate america over alissa, whom i like quite a lot. Carolina needs to work on her spins though. At the recent sa, her spins looked really weak.

this

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Like the poster above, I never ever considered myself a fan of Carolina at all. To be honest, she was my least-favorite skater and much of that stemmed from what I saw as overmarking on her scores. Yet she blew me away last season at Worlds as the last skater to skate and the one who truly won me over in the ladies LP. Her performance to "Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun" was unique and spell-binding to say the least. That LP performance of hers is one of my personal favorites of the season 2010-2011. I know I am not the only one who thinks that Carolina should have won SA but it is what it is. Carolina just needs to keep doing what she is doing and improve her spins and increase her jump difficulty. I hope she has a good season :)

There's the whole issue most have with this winning. She wasn't winning, she was splatting with the more difficult jumps. And she is now winning with watered down tech content due to her lines, elegance, speed, joie de skating. So why should she go back to plan A? There is no reason.

jiggs

On the Ice
i like carolina's long program unitard very much, now that i've had more time to absorb its impact. i still think the bracelet on the sleeveless arm completely breaks the impression of long lines that she otherwise managed to create. she skips the skirt, but then she has this other... obstruction. ^^ though i see it on so many costumes this season--S/S long, tut's long program red dress, akiko's short, zijun li's short... i just can't get behind the fat bracelet / naked cuff look :)

ITA. The bracelet really bothers me too. It really does break her long lines. Hope she will get rid of it, cause otherwhise, I have really grown to like this costume very much. Mainly because she dares to be different and steps out of her comfort zone. And she totally pulls it off!!