Which Of These 'Newbies' Will Achieve The Most In Ladies Figure Skating? | Golden Skate

Which Of These 'Newbies' Will Achieve The Most In Ladies Figure Skating?

• Adelina Sotnikova

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Elizaveta Tuktamysheva

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • Julia Lipnitskaya

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Gracie Gold

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Christina Gao

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Satoko Miyahara

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Risa Shoji

• Polina Shelepen

• Vanessa Lam

• Zijun Li

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mao88

Record Breaker

Which Of These 'Newbies' Will Achieve The Most In Ladies Figure Skating? There are a lot of talented skaters who will be entering seniors in the seasons leading up to the 2014 Olympics who will mount a serious challenge for the Olympic title.

Last edited:

Vash01

Medalist
Tough choice between Liza, Julia and Adelina. I picked Liza but it's hard to tell how they all will develop and who has the heart of a champion.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I picked Liza since she has more interesting programs than the others right now and is more consistent already IMO. I have limited exposure to some on that list though.

Hanaka

Rinkside
I like Liza most. She is so exciting and charming on the ice. :love: But her body size is pretty tiny at present. We'll have to wait and see how her body will develop in the coming years, or will she persue Tara's path and remain short and small and keep her amazing jumping ability?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Liza is amazing will keep her solid jumping thechnique is very clean, has good physical proportions for skating at the moment, the final will have to wait if she will still grow and improver even further however, I'll bet on Adelina, a Girl that has already survived her first growth spurt tells you a lot her determination, depth and skating is better than Liza's imo, juts need to change her jumping techniques

Julia is good too but being super flexible doesnt guarantee anything ala Caroline Zhang and she seems to have trouble with her jumping techniques

ryanbfan

On the Ice
I would say Liza, however it is still a tough call with her still being 14 and not having her growth spurt yet. I thought it was funny someone equated her to Tara because Tara always posts on twitter how much she loves Liza's skating.

I don't know about Gracie Gold either, we've always seen so many skaters do awesome in the lower ranks then do not so hot in their senior career.

I am also really pulling for Christina Gao, but her season this year doesn't seem like it's going so well.

gdane

Spectator
It is quite a tough call to make though one that will probably be decided with who is going to be developed with the heart of a champion. And at their level with juniors, it is quite hard to make out who will be made of nerves of steel.

Though if I really have to pick one, I would have to go with Adelina just because I think that she could really be in strong contention when she gets a go at it.

louisa05

Final Flight
Clearly, you all need to get a big glass of Gold kool-aid. It is available from many media outlets, Scott Hamilton and another fan forum.

More seriously, I think Tukt has a lot of potential as the whole package, but she's going to grow--so that scares me.

AmuChan363

Rinkside
Depends on what you mean by 'Achieve the most'. Do you mean win olympic gold? a world title? land a triple axel? the most triple triples? set a personal best, surpass 200 points?

From seeing what the junior ladies have done so far, I can see the Adelina, Liza, Julia, and the two Polinas (but only one was offered here, and doesnt this line up remind you of the US senior ladies from 2008-9 a bit? all young and extremely talented but puberty holding them back?) all on the Sochi podium, but once again this is what they said about Mirai Nagasu/Caroline Zhang back in 2008, but by 2010 Caroline's technique and a growth spurt left her out of the top 10 at nationals BUT Mirai did come 4th at the olympics.

That being said, there are 3 US ladies listed here (though I believe that there are other US ladies that should have been included like Yasmin Siraj, Nina Jiang, Leah Kisner who could easier improve to medal contention at nationals in a year or two) and you can't forget Zijun Li who could rise like Yuna did from a country not known for ladies figure skating.

Overall, this question is far too open ended and its much too early within the 4 year gaps of the olympics to see what the up and coming skaters will be like. Unfortunately like Adelina already, some will have to face the issue of growth spurts, puberty, and mental stability.

But if I had to guess after writing this really long reply.... I'm going to say Liza, because from the withdrawal at this year's world juniors with plans for her 3A I could see her like a Mao Asada in 2014, and if being able to do extremely difficult jumps and medal at the olympics is considered achieving the most than well..