Figure Skating Grand Slam | Golden Skate

Figure Skating Grand Slam

enlight78

Medalist
I was curious how many skaters have won all three or four of ISU Championships. Grand Prix Final, European/4CC, Worlds, and Olympics

I know Yu Na Kim, Evan Lysaceck, Shen Zhao,Virtue and Moir and Plushenko has won all four. Mao Asada,Brian Joubert, Patrick Chan, Staphane Lambiel, Pang and Tong, Salvhenko and Szolkowy has claim gold at all but olympics.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
In the pre-GPF days, Katarina Witt won EC, World and Olympics in the same year. Twice. Annett Poetzsch won it once.

Dick Button won two Olympoic gold medals, five World Chamionships, three North American Championships, and one European Championship.

They let him into Europeans because he said he was representing Boston, and they thought he said Bosnia.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Dick Button won two Olympoic gold medals, five World Chamionships, three North American Championships, and one European Championship.

They let him into Europeans because he said he was representing Boston, and they thought he said Bosnia.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ah, the good ol' days. No modern complications of citizenship issues, federation's releases, and pages and pages of internet heated discussions.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
There are these ice dancers from Britain whose name escapes me that have done that. They almost did it again, but didn't win the gold at the Olympics in their second try.

Klimova/Ponomarenko have won the grand slam.

(Although they have the right titles, Tara Lipinski, Grishuk/Platov, Navka/Kostamarov didn't win the grand slam in the same year, as they were absent from worlds in their last year)

jaylee

Medalist
Alexei Yagudin. He did it all in one season, too.

Olympic champions who missed one of the other championships:
Tara Lipinski retired before 4CCs existed. Ilia Kulik & Alexei Urmanov never won a world championship.

Olympic champions missing two or more: Shizuka Arakawa was twice a runner-up at 4CCs and runner-up at GPF, Oksana Baiul never won Euros and retired before GPF existed. Sarah Hughes never won GPF or Worlds, and never competed at 4CCs.

Rodnina is the only woman besides Sonja Henie to have ten world championships and three Olympic gold medals. Rodnina had two different partners, so there isn't a guy with the same record. I have looked up to be sure, and though Gillis Grafstrom won three Olympic golds, he didn't win ten world championships--just a "lowly" three. (I know, I know...Sarah Hughes should be so lucky!)

Yet again, I find myself fascinated by the many possible configurations of a championship competitive career.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I was curious how many skaters have won all three or four of ISU Championships. Grand Prix Final, European/4CC, Worlds, and Olympics

I know Yu Na Kim, Evan Lysaceck, Shen Zhao,Virtue and Moir and Plushenko has won all four. Mao Asada,Brian Joubert, Patrick Chan, Staphane Lambiel, Pang and Tong, Salvhenko and Szolkowy has claim gold at all but olympics.
This came up in a thread here a while back. Shen and Zhao have not only won all the major events, they have also won each of the GPs -even the discontinued Bofrost Cup - the only skaters to have accomplished this in any discipline. And if I'm not mistaken (again, this is based on my memory of the previous thread) Grishuk and Platov are the only ones to have won each of these events at least twice; the GPF may have had a different name back then, though.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The GPF started in the 1995/1996 season as ISU Champions Series; G&P won it twice. It changed its name the season after they retired.

jaylee

Medalist
This came up in a thread here a while back. Shen and Zhao have not only won all the major events, they have also won each of the GPs -even the discontinued Bofrost Cup - the only skaters to have accomplished this in any discipline. And if I'm not mistaken (again, this is based on my memory of the previous thread) Grishuk and Platov are the only ones to have won each of these events at least twice; the GPF may have had a different name back then, though.

That is a remarkable achievement, but I think it's rare to get the opportunity to compete at each of the GPs, no matter how many years they compete. Michelle Kwan never competed at Cup of Russia (not sure if she was ever assigned it in one of the seasons that she skipped the GP); she never competed at Cup of China either, but was assigned it in 2005-2006, the season in which she ultimately never competed. On the other hand, Alissa Czisny and Carolina Kostner have had the opportunity to compete at every one of the GPs, while Joannie Rochette never competed at Skate America or NHK Trophy.

Brian Joubert has won every current GP event (and the GPF) except Cup of China, where he has a silver medal. He failed to medal there last year, but has another chance this year to win there.

Vash01

Medalist

I believe Berezhnaya-Sikharulidze have won all 4.

GPF: 1998
European: 98,99,01,02 (they lost the 00 title due to Elena's drug testing)
Worlds: 1998, 1999
Olympics:2002

I think they also won SA, SC, Trophee Lalique (now Eric Bompard), the German GP which has been discontinued, and Cup of Russia.

I don't remember them competing at NHK or Cup of China, so they could not have won those.

Also I think Totmianina-Marinin won all 4, but I don't remember all the years.

GPF- Don't know the year, but may be 2004? (This is the only competition I am not sure they won, but I think it may have been 2004- the year they won their first world championship.

European- 2005, 2006 (and 2004?)

Worlds- 2004, 2005

Olympics- 2006

Last edited: