"Freedom" Blades | Golden Skate

"Freedom" Blades

L

LADSKATER

"Freedom" Blades

Michael Weiss wore new blades dubbed "freedom" blades. So I was wondering what is your opinion on them?

Ladskater;)

S

SteveKmetko374

Re: "Freedom" Blades

You forgot to put in the option of "I loathe them"

S

sk8guy2k2

The only difference between the regular blades and the "Freedom" blades is that the Freedom blades can be used to skate on the heels. What good is that?

L

lilicedancer

Weiss says that these blades are for skaters who prefer to skate on the back of their blade. You're not supposed to skate on the back of your blade, so I don't know what he's talking about. They're more of a show skate, like "Look at the cool stuff I can do with these!" They don't seem to have improved his skating at all.;)

J

Joesitz

I'm not against them. I just don't get the concept other than to do some comic spread eagles. What else could you do on your heels? Maybe he'll show us some more tricks with them.

Joe

L

LADSKATER

Personally, I can't see these blades being used much by skaters. They positively go against the rules of figure skating. They might be useful for comedy skating. I am sure Kurt could come up with some unique move with them. I know Barb Underhill wants to try them.

Ladskater

R

RealtorGal

<span style="color:navy;font-family:century gothic;font-size:small;">Are they an improvement on the standard skates? Will they lessen the impact of jumps at all? If not, it would be nice to see a skate that does.</span>

D

dlksk8fan

The "Freedon Blades" were designed by Nick Perna, one of Michael's coaches. He thought that since you can does tricks on the heels of Rollerblades why not on ice blades? He says he wanted to make skating more interesting. I say why not? I like the freedom blades for that reason. Even if they don't catch on at least someone is looking to evolve the design of the figure skate.

K

Kzarah

Personallly, I think that Mike is a passing fancy, will not catch on.
Daniel and Little Lulu

C

CB1AB2

I agree with " it's just a passing thing" I think that Michael had to do something about his skating and maybe he thought this was it. They don't seem to improve his skating.
You don't see Aleixi using a prop like this. That's because he doesn't need any. He is a great skater and while I like Michael I don't think I would clasify him as a great skater