Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Thread: LADIES Long Program

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Mirai needs a new choreographer, a new costume designer and some oomph. This strategy is just not right .
    Mirai also needs a good swift kick in the rear end. Girlfriend skated almost zombie-like. And this is coming from a huge Nagasu fan.

Congrats to all the medallists I heart all three of these young ladies! Tiny Tuk what a coming out party! Lovely job by Akiko, and Ashley has won a GP medal! Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by badknees View Post
    I agree that Mirai needs to do something different. I would like to see her repeat her pirates program. That was exciting!
    I would love it if she brought it back-her 'Pirates' is my favorite SP of hers. She needs something as enchanting for her LP.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Well i think its time to sweep the US ladies from 2007-2008 cycle and hope the younger girls can get it together. Rachael, Mirai, Ashley and Caroline have had their chances and haven't got it done.
    I'm not quite that pessimistic just yet. The four young ladies you mentioned aren't dead just yet and theirs still a few seasons yet before the Sochi Olympics. Anything can happen between now and then and who knows how the junior phenoms will develop by then?

Custom Title
    Do you really think any of those four are going to be factors by Sochi? Caroline is beyond history and so is Rachael judging by the last year and now this performance. And if Mrai can't skate under pressure she will always be a "what if" skater. Ashley looked better here then she has for a long time but i'm not sure about her either. And Alissa will be 27 and how will her weak jumps hold up against the younger girls coming up?

Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Do you really think any of those four are going to be factors by Sochi? Caroline is beyond history and so is Rachael judging by the last year and now this performance. And if Mrai can't skate under pressure she will always be a "what if" skater. Ashley looked better here then she has for a long time but i'm not sure about her either. And Alissa will be 27 and how will her weak jumps hold up against the younger girls coming up?
    Yes I think Mirai still is very much in the mix and Alissa and Ashley too. For Alissa age is just a number if she keeps herself in a very good condition and paces herself. Caroline and Rachael-no.

The Olympic trials/U.S. Nationals for Sochi will tell. We'll compare notes then.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Thanx for Nebelhorn videos, I think Mirai's both dresses were much better longer and for some reason she cut them short both now, also I think her Lp dress must go, it is indiferent color and design. She always had nice dresses.

Custom Title
    Sigh...Mirai. I wish she could pull it together.

I have a soft spot for Frank Carroll because of Michelle. He gave her such beautiful technique, and he and Lori Nichol made magic with Michelle in terms of original choreography and music choices. (Interesting that since then, Lori has so often retreated into more conventional musical treatments. I have always thought of Michelle as Lori's muse.) Do you all really think that he isn't working out for Mirai? (I'm not arguing; this just never occurred to me before.) If any of you could "assign" a coach to Mirai given her particular strengths and weaknesses, whom would you choose?

I suppose looking at the skaters who did best with Carroll (Kwan, Lysacek, and Fratianne) one could reason that he does best with workhorses who have a steadier temperament. All three of these skaters strike me as people who aren't easily shaken during a competition and also as people who will give every ounce of their time and devotion to training. But I only know what I hear and have no solid basis on which to evaluate any of this. Any thoughts?

Custom Title
    I am sadly coming to the conclusion that Mirai does not have the mindset of a champion. A champion is relentless, regardless of falls or bobbles in a program, and just doesn't quit. A champion, when technical mistakes esp on jumps happen, can keep things rolling and still make magic with presentation and musical connection..even if if not ending up on the podium. A champion could take program material based on the telephone directory and make it work. Usually by the age Mirai is now, you either see this innate quality or you don't.

I'm not sure Frank Carroll is the problem here. I definitely think Mirai should be looking at other choreographers.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    I am sadly coming to the conclusion that Mirai does not have the mindset of a champion. A champion is relentless, regardless of falls or bobbles in a program, and just doesn't quit. A champion, when technical mistakes esp on jumps happen, can keep things rolling and still make magic with presentation and musical connection..even if if not ending up on the podium. A champion could take program material based on the telephone directory and make it work. Usually by the age Mirai is now, you either see this innate quality or you don't.

I'm not sure Frank Carroll is the problem here. I definitely think Mirai should be looking at other choreographers.
    Reading this really makes me miss Yuna Kim. She never give up, injuries, training problems, emotional upsets, pressures etc. Perhaps Mirai would be interested to look for a role model for mental strength and competitive spirit too! As well as Michelle who she said look up to.

So she hit a new low in her career (Although someone said she would have got a bronze at Skate America), but really she could still rise above it at Cup of China just like what she did at 4CCs after the US nationals.

Agree about change in choreographers, she need someone to tap into her personality and bring out a program she can connect with and skate with joy again.
    Last edited by os168; 10-30-2011 at 09:46 AM.

I just watched Leonova and felt sorry for her. For all the critics against Morosov, it was clear he was clever enough to make programs that gather points just not my cup of tea, but Leonova's (and Amodio's Lp) is not this year even good. He cant give a piece like that to Alena, she is not Ando who had a gentle physique and kind of skate, this program is very wrong for her. And he added a cut of Requiem to make things worse. By now he should have known that requiem is not carmen that can be skated again and again, I mean if I was a judge I would have requiem allergy after Vancouver.
    I feel sorry for Alena in case she is paying Morosov a lot of money. And Rachel if she paid Lori to give her a microwaved firebird.
    Last edited by seniorita; 10-30-2011 at 10:10 AM.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    EVery year Lori gives better programs to Rachael than to Mirai. Mirai's SP is good if skated well, but her LP is generic that dress is terrible. Rachael's Firebird is a beautiful program. Rachale is not the right skater for that program though at all. Imagine how effective it could be with a skater like Mirai who can do the quick sharp arms...imagine Sasha skating that program. That split jump in the begining, the building footwork at the end...I say nice try Rachael, because it does help her and it just as a great program but I think that even if she skated clean it would not be performed as it should.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Sigh...Mirai. I wish she could pull it together.

I have a soft spot for Frank Carroll because of Michelle. He gave her such beautiful technique, and he and Lori Nichol made magic with Michelle in terms of original choreography and music choices. (Interesting that since then, Lori has so often retreated into more conventional musical treatments. I have always thought of Michelle as Lori's muse.) Do you all really think that he isn't working out for Mirai? (I'm not arguing; this just never occurred to me before.) If any of you could "assign" a coach to Mirai given her particular strengths and weaknesses, whom would you choose?

I suppose looking at the skaters who did best with Carroll (Kwan, Lysacek, and Fratianne) one could reason that he does best with workhorses who have a steadier temperament. All three of these skaters strike me as people who aren't easily shaken during a competition and also as people who will give every ounce of their time and devotion to training. But I only know what I hear and have no solid basis on which to evaluate any of this. Any thoughts?
    I agree Frank does best with very committed, dedicated, hardworking skaters. Lysacek is the epitome of that. He and Frank seemed to have the ideal student/coach relationship. There was never a doubt as to how hard Evan was working and he was an amazing competitor as well, usually skating his best in difficult situations. Mirai isn't that kind of skater at all--she's definitely an emotional, up-and-down performer as opposed to a steady competitor--and you just get the feeling that Frank is constantly frustrated by her. Also, I have to say that, off ice and in interviews, Mirai comes across as immature for her age. I think that also frustrates Frank (and certainly is in great contrast to Lysacek and Kwan, both of whom were always exceptionally poised and mature even at a very young age).

Maybe Mirai should go to Jason Dungjen & Yuka Sato. Yuka & Jason seem to be good at working with skaters who have struggled under other coaches. Just look at what they've done with Czisny, and to a lesser extent Abbott. Maybe they could help Mirai. But ultimately, Mirai needs to help herself. She needs to really commit herself to being the great skater she can be. It's almost like she has a fear of failure or something.

And Lori has given Carolina GREAT programs, especially this season.

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    Akiko brings such joy and musicality to skating. She never stops dancing for a moment and that program is everything I love about figure skating. She's like my female replacement of Stephane Lambiel. So genuinely charismatic. I adore her skating from the bottom of my heart.

Custom Title
    Mirai simply does not have the mentality of a champion at this point. No coach can make her want to be a champion only Mirai can do that. And what's with her screwing up her spins yet again? That's lack of concentration simple as that. You could see Frank was seething inside but he kept it in.
    Last edited by Jammers; 10-30-2011 at 11:54 AM.

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast