LADIES Long Program | Page 12 | Golden Skate

LADIES Long Program

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hate to say it but Mirai's problems seem to be all in her head. But not going out and fighting is not acceptable. Akiko struggled with some of her jumps but kept performing and not giving up. Maybe Mirai just isn't a competitor.

Mao88

Record Breaker
Final result & videos

1. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva - 177.38

Short Program

Free Skate

2. Akiko Suzuki - 172.26

Short Program

Free Skate

3. Ashley Wagner - 165.48

Short Program

Free Skate

4. Alena Leonova - 152.22

Short Program

Free Skate

5. Mirai Nagasu - 151.72

Short Program

Free Skate

6. Amelie Lacoste - 146.40

Short Program

Free Skate

7. Cynthia Phaneuf - 140.70

Short Program

Free Skate

8. Sarah Hecken - 130.71

Short Program

Free Skate

9. Adriana DeSanctis - 129.48

Short Program

Free Skate

10. Rachael Flatt - 128.22

Short Program

Free Skate

Last edited:

bekalc

Record Breaker
Liza was indeed calm and her performance was really good, but she has a HUGE advantage because she is a "tween". When you're young like she is, your whole emotional chemistry is that of a child and the doubts and insecurities etc. that creep into the young adult mind don't plague her yet. Also, she's tiny and weighs almost nothing yet, so her body defies gravity with much greater ease. Don't get me wrong, Liza is a real genuine talent and should have been scored higher than she was, she is an ice-princess and if she survives puberty intact she will be a major player at Worlds in 2013 and the Olympics in 2014. She had two admirable performances at Skate Canada.

The only senior skater in the Grand Prix that can maybe beat her is Mao. Will they be competing before the Grand Prix Final?

I'm just not sure this is even a fair assessment. The reason I say this is I remember Elizaveta struggling with consistency the year before, and also bombing her first JGP assignment last year. Last year. And this is the most consistent her 3lutz/3toe has ever been. I'm not saying in some cases youngsters can't feel immune. But this is a youngster whose been hyped since she was 12 and had to hear about everyone's hopes on her since she was 12...

lavender

Record Breaker
Liza was indeed calm and her performance was really good, but she has a HUGE advantage because she is a "tween". When you're young like she is, your whole emotional chemistry is that of a child and the doubts and insecurities etc. that creep into the young adult mind don't plague her yet. Also, she's tiny and weighs almost nothing yet, so her body defies gravity with much greater ease. Don't get me wrong, Liza is a real genuine talent and should have been scored higher than she was, she is an ice-princess and if she survives puberty intact she will be a major player at Worlds in 2013 and the Olympics in 2014. She had two admirable performances at Skate Canada.

The only senior skater in the Grand Prix that can maybe beat her is Mao. Will they be competing before the Grand Prix Final?

Yeah remember when the lovely Mao first came on the scene beating Irina and Sasha. She had no pressures then. She wasn't eligible to go to worlds or the Olympics but she was beating the women on the gp. Now look at how times have change.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Yeah remember when the lovely Mao first came on the scene beating Irina and Sasha. She had no pressures then. She wasn't eligible to go to worlds or the Olympics but she was beating the women on the gp. Now look at how times have change.

Mao actually lose to Irina in her first Senior GP, and even though she beat Sasha, she did fall there too. She also bombed Junior Worlds and lost to Yu-na there.

I don't think Asada's issues are so much she's older now, Asada's had pressure for years. I think the issues are that her jumping technique was never great, and being older hasn't helped... And I LOVE Asada.

Tukt has a lot to fall back on jump technique wise when she's older.

Art&Sport

Medalist
...the US used to always have girls that were contenders. Maybe over 50 years of great US women skaters was bound to come to a end for awhile.

Ah, Cohen did not carry on the tradition. And Alissa needed help with her jumps, but look how well she's rebounded. Alissa IMO does have a chance to compete for gold at Worlds. And I hope Ash gets there too. If Ash does and she holds her nerves together, she is at least as good, if not better than some of the top 4-10 ladies in the World. Unclear whether Mirai will come back from this setback so far this season. I never liked the look of this season's programs (of Mirai). In some ways, I blame the U.S. federation for not putting more of their confidence in Mirai (and wasting it on Rachael). I mean they should be supportive of all the skaters and not go so far out of the way to push up one over the other (as I think they did with Rachael). I know Mirai has been up and down, but look at her career. Given gold too soon at Nats when she couldn't go to Worlds anyway put too much unnecessary pressure on her, as well as criticism.

The sport has changed so much and if you look at things historically, there have always been ups and downs in the U.S. and other countries. Prior to 1961, the U.S. usually dominated in the ladies event. After the tragic airplane crash in 1961, the entire U.S. team had to be rebuilt. And then there was Peggy, Janet Lynn, Dorothy Hamill. (Fratianne, Sumners and Zayak, with not as great success, although Fratianne wuzrobbed at 1980 Olympics). Then, the era of Debi, Caryn, Jill, and Kristi, with Tonya and Nancy closing out the pre-Kween era. There always seemed to be more than one U.S. lady battling for Nats top spot with lots of depth in the ranks. After the Kween, lots of upheaval, not only in the U.S. During the Kween era, Europe had practically no strong contenders (IMO, that is why Lipinski was able to come on strong at 1997 Worlds after the Kween had a slight mistake in the sp and boot problems). Now, Asian countries have had top contenders following the legacy set by Midori Ito (and also inspired by the American Kween). With Tukt's salvo here, the Russian women have announced their arrival on the senior scene.

Still doesn't mean that Alissa and Ashley are chopped liver. They can both do well at Worlds. Despite her uber special qualities, Mirai needs to believe in herself, find the right music and packaging, and go for it. Guess Frank was spoiled by the Kween too!

Last edited:

lavender

Record Breaker
Mao actually lose to Irina in her first Senior GP, and even though she beat Sasha, she did fall there too. She also bombed Junior Worlds and lost to Yu-na there.

I don't think Asada's issues are so much she's older now, Asada's had pressure for years. I think the issues are that her jumping technique was never great, and being older hasn't helped... And I LOVE Asada.

Tukt has a lot to fall back on jump technique wise when she's older.

Didn't Mao beat Irina in something? I checked..she won the 2005-2006 gp final of Irina.

I was meaning on the senior circuit. I think she had more pressure on the junior circuit because she was a junior.

No she wasn't perfect in everything but she didn't have the expectations on the senior circuit yet. That's what I meant.

Last edited:

bekalc

Record Breaker
Didn't Mao beat Irina in something?

I was meaning on the senior circuit. I think she had more pressure on the junior circuit because she was a junior.

Mao did beat Irina at the GPF. But the point I'm making is Mao didn't come out of the gate in the Senior circuit perfect in everything, uber consistent either.

Art&Sport

Medalist
What's wrong with Mirai's program? I liked it a lot.

I don't think this music works for Mirai. Compare with the cut Kwan skated to at 2005 Nats sp. And like you said re Akiko and Ashley, they were really into and enjoying their programs. It doesn't seem as if Mirai ever liked this program, just that she was being told to do it, like homework. I also don't find that her costume is working for her, nor the overall choreo. She sure doesn't seem happy with it. The program was just okay -- she didn't sell and she lost focus. I think that's obvious. She knew it and Frank knew it, and the judges certainly knew it -- they overly dinged her on PCS.

Last edited:

lavender

Record Breaker
Even though it was bad skate, this program was better suited for Rachel more than those cutesy programs.

Art&Sport

Medalist
I don't know if Mirai has the commitment to be a champion.

Possibly, but once again, see my post upthread -- Did Mirai's possible "lack of commitment" come about because of the hot and cold support by U.S. federation. ONce again, everyone took the Kween for granted, and still haven't come out of the shock and awe daze/ days.