2 Sasha COHEN USA 177.48 2 2
3 Shizuka ARAKAWA JPN 167.57 5 3
4 Elena LIASHENKO UKR 165.16 3 4
5 Yoshie ONDA JPN 153.00 4 6
6 Julia SEBESTYEN HUN 152.11 6 5

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
:( I feel so bad for Sasha. Unfortunately, since the disaster at cheesefest, it was kind of predictable... Also sad that Elena did not medal (kind of feel it's her last chance, whereas Shizuka still has a long career ahead).

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Elena still has European's and World's. She's had a fantastic season--I'm sure she's happy about that.

Antilles

Medalist
Anyone know what happened to Sasha tonight? This could bode well for her, if she has her not-so-great performances now, and rebounds for nationals and worlds.

Lcp88

On the Ice
This has got to be one of the greatest upset competitions in years. Fumie, after having a pretty crummy season, beating out Sasha and Eman beating Plushenco. Cool...
Laura

Fossi

Final Flight
Wow. :eek: I read Sasha fell two times. TWO times. No falls for Shizuka. Was Sasha once again held up? Not fair!

rtureck

Final Flight
Congratulations Fumie :love: :love: :love:

My lucky numbers worked :laugh:

What did Richard Callaghan do to get Arakawa's spiral sequence to a level 3?

Last edited:

Kasey

Medalist
Congrats to Fumie...what a beautiful skater. I'm also wondering what Sasha did that was so remarkable to better Arakawa with two falls. Even with the CoP, it would appear that sometimes, reputation and time in international presence will hold up a skater....

Kasey

mzheng

Record Breaker
Kasey said:
Congrats to Fumie...what a beautiful skater. I'm also wondering what Sasha did that was so remarkable to better Arakawa with two falls. Even with the CoP, it would appear that sometimes, reputation and time in international presence will hold up a skater....

Kasey

ITA. If anything feel better about the score this time for me is that Fummie got the same SS as Sasha.

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Wow, I think that hell has officially frozen over tonight. :eek: Eman and Fumie winning the GPF?!?! Wow. That is absolutely awesome. Congrats to both of them!! :D

kasia16

On the Ice
Poor Sasha :cry: !!!
I'm really upset... She is the queen of grace, everything what she does is wonderful (Jumps, spins, spirals) but always has bad luck...
I hope she'll win a battle with it and get medal at the Worlds!
Keep going Sasha!

C

Cactus

rtureck said:

She is now doing a change of edge spiral, ala Kwan, albeit in a catch-foot position. The edge change is deep, effortless, clean and fast, just like Kwan's. Arakawa is the only skater I've seen that duplicates the Kwan edge change with this degree of success. Spirals with a change of edge, regardless of the quality of the edge change, often gets counted as level 3. This is why Sasha Cohen's wobble with a leg lift is also counted as a level 3 spiral.

rtureck said:

Well, he produced Tara for one thing - maybe some more before her. And there is not only Shizuka (skating better than ever) but improved Jenny 100 per cent.

Anyone vote Callaghan COACH OF THE YEAR/

Joe

MasterF

Rinkside
Surprise

Why are we all surprise that Fumie won. Fumie has been a great skater for many years. She just falls apart too many times. The same has been said about Sandhu. He is a phenomenal skater and performer, he just falls apart too often. Plushenko is just a consistant skater and a great ham on the ice, but he is not the only great skater out there. The same can be said about Kwan, who at her worst can miss two jumps and still give a good performance.

On a seperate note, Richard Callahan gives me the creeps as a person. I would never bring a skater to him unless it was a girl. He apparently can train the help out of a skater. examples Bobek in 95, Tara 97,98 Jenny and Shizuka 2003.

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
Re: Surprise

Originally posted by MasterF Why are we all surprise that Fumie won.

... because, with the exception of the cheesefest, Sasha has been on fire all year. I feel like she's been skating with a new confidence and it appeared as though her lapses of years past were history.

I'm hoping that the Sasha of the last week is just a physically tired skater. Now she'll have time to go home, stay in the same place for a few weeks, and get back to where she was in the beginning of the year. It'd be much more difficult to get back on track if the cheesefest spooked her.

rain

Record Breaker
While I'm disappointed for Sasha, maybe this is actually a good thing for her. In the past she's been great in the mid-season and down at worlds.... Perhaps this year the pacing of her season is different.....

Anyway, I'm thrilled for Suguri. I've been a huge fan for a long time and have thought she's been one of the most underrated skaters for ages. At the last Olympics her placement was something of a travesty. I can't wait to see this skate.

I'm also really pleased that Arakawa pulled up to third. I've loved watching her the last two seasons and have really enjoyed her breakthrough this season.

I'm really looking forward to seeing all three of these skaters at worlds!