Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Ladies Free Skate

I can't wait to see Fumie's two performances. Hooray for 550 and 448. Not that I am surprized. She is a two time World medalist, after all. Plus she had those great Lori Nichol programs!

Mathman

Custom Title
    The USFSA article on the free program mentions that Fumie was quite emotional at the end of her successful skate. I love it! She is a beautiful skater and seems to be such a genuine person. I've always wanted to see her perform well and win over a distinguished field. Beating the heavily touted Cohen should give her some self-confidence heading to Dortmund. As for Sasha, well, it does seem to be a situation in which she and Tarasova haven't balanced the schedule well. Hopefully, she'll regain her form by the time Nationals rolls around...but she definitely won't be the undisputed favorite. The question mark has reappeared. I also wouldn't blame the entire break in consistency on "burn out" or poor scheduling. I think those two factors play a role along with the concentration/mental issues that existed in previous seasons. At any rate, I don't like seeing Sasha mar her brilliance with silly mistakes. I want and expect to see a beautiful Kwan/Cohen battle live in Atlanta!

Custom Title
    At the Cheesefest, Sasha had problems with all her jumps, as not one of the two she actually landed were in any way secure.

At the GPF, it seemed to be the pick jumps giving her trouble. She fell on her 3Z at the SP and lost her combination. In the FS, she had only a single flutz, no lutz combination, and fell on her 3F and 3T.

Maybe she was tired, or the altitude affected her badly, but why on earth did she get such high SC scores for such a flawed performance? One of the judges actually gave her three 9.0 scores (performance/execution, choreography and interpretation). How can a program with two falls and missing combinations get such high scores? If she skated completely cleanly, would she get 11s?

Custom Woman
    I agree, Chuckm. Even though I like Sasha's skating, I don't like to see any skater get marks that don't reflect what they did. But at least with the COP, that 9.0, being one of the two high scores, would have been thrown out. So it doesn't count toward the Total Component Score.
    Rgirl

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Congratulations to Fumie! She is a beautiful skater. I look forward to seeing her program.

Custom Title
    Originally posted by Rgirl
    I agree, Chuckm. Even though I like Sasha's skating, I don't like to see any skater get marks that don't reflect what they did. But at least with the COP, that 9.0, being one of the two high scores, would have been thrown out. So it doesn't count toward the Total Component Score.
    Rgirl
    Rgirl, what worries me is that there can easily be collusion between or among judges in the CoP system, so that one judge throws out a ridiculously high score like that 9.0 just so it can be tossed. Other judges then score the same skater 8.75s, and those stay (if selected). A group of 3-4 judges could do this with impunity.

The CoP has to have a method of checking any wrongdoing and ineptness in the judging. Without it, it's SLC deja vu. Will there be an honest discussion after this GP is over? and moreso, will there be the proper safeguards introduced?

Joe

Custom Title
    But that's why CoP IS NO SOLUTION to the SLC problem!

It's removing the appendix when the gall bladder is causing the distress.

As long as judging is anonymous, the judges are free to do as they please, and if it pleases them to collude and they are able to get away with it, they will! The ISU has disciplined judges in the past only because the cheating was blatant, and there was loud public outcry.

Now that everything is hidden, anything can happen, and I do not believe the ISU will do anything about questionable or outrageous results.

Chuckon - I hate to agree, but I do. There has to be a safeguard put in to this judging system to prevent collusion, and hopefull ineptness too.

Joe

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3