Free Dance | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Free Dance

wallylutz

Medalist
I know. But do you really and truly believe their program is the equal of D/W?

I feel V/M's Funny Face FD is their best ever FD that I have seen. I don't know if it's better than anybody else's, whether currently competing or in history, it doesn't matter to me. I know a masterpiece when I see one.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I know. But do you really and truly believe their program is the equal of D/W?

Yes, I truly do.

D/W do what they do well, but it's all surface. There's no profound understanding of the music. I love the shifts in colour in the performance from V/M: there's a playful spirit, the beautiful embodiment of characters, the slightly noirish tinge, the wistful S'Wonderful, and the terrific climax. It can definitely improve, and I expect it too, but the scores are so close that I really don't get how you can be so utterly dismissive of them, to be honest.

wallylutz

Medalist
Can we dismiss D/W's score as being only in America then? What happens when they compete head to head in Canada (as in the GPF)?

Well, they can always pretend to be sick or fake an accident, better than raise a white flag. ;) Sorry, I can't help it when some people like to abuse the word "never" in this sport. Then again, some people insist V/M only won the Olympics because it happened in Canada - only to find out they could also beat anyone else outside of Canada (in Italy) as well a month later.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Well, they can always pretend to be sick or fake an accident, better than raise a white flag. ;) Sorry, I can't help it when some people like to abuse the word "never" in this sport. Then again, some people insist V/M only won the Olympics because it happened in Canada - only to find out they could also beat anyone else outside of Canada (in Italy) as well a month later.

Or forget that they lost to D/W in Canada (4CC 2009) but then beat them in the USA (Worlds 2009).

Well, I respect you guys and will watch both again (duh)... but this was an honest first reaction from someone who fully expected them to top even the amazing FD that D/W have put out. For me this program can't touch the Mahler FD which was my idea of an instant masterpiece.

katia

On the Ice
I have to disagree with spun silver. At first I did not like V/M FD and I liked D/W. After watching couple of times D/W I liked it less, on the contrary V/M dance grew on me. Each time I watch it, I like it better.

apple123

On the Ice
I think Tessa is channelling Audrey Herbun perfectly, which is a big big compliment. With their undeniable connection, beautiful posture and extension, outstanding skate skill, they are carrying the music, not the other way around as in D/W's case. So we'll just have to wait and see.
Nope. V/M will never catch D/W with that FD. Have to eat my words.

First step: find a wordless version of this music, like Balanchine did for Who Cares. Instant upgrade in classic elegance. All those words are just plain distracting.

Second step: new hairdo and costume for Tess. Just let it down and look pretty, girl, and get a less severe dress. She looks like an aging ballerina or Gloria Swanson in Sunset Blvd.

Third step: I wish I had one. It needs an implant of excitement.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Well, I respect you guys and will watch both again (duh)... but this was an honest first reaction from someone who fully expected them to top even the amazing FD that D/W have put out. For me this program can't touch the Mahler FD which was my idea of an instant masterpiece.

Right. But even Mahler had to wait until Nationals/Olympics before it was skated at it's peak, so what you're arguing is that D/W have put out something so superior that V/M are simply incapable of beating them no matter how much they improve.

apple123

On the Ice
I can't agree more, well said!

Yes, I truly do.

D/W do what they do well, but it's all surface. There's no profound understanding of the music. I love the shifts in colour in the performance from V/M: there's a playful spirit, the beautiful embodiment of characters, the slightly noirish tinge, the wistful S'Wonderful, and the terrific climax. It can definitely improve, and I expect it too, but the scores are so close that I really don't get how you can be so utterly dismissive of them, to be honest.

KKonas

Medalist
Don't think this redux of That's Entertaiment FD is even close to a masterpiece. Terrible music cuts and rather boring. They also got one point less for this dance than D&W in Canada no less. There already is a buzz in the skating world re D&W waltz, which has already been labelled a classic. D&W just need to work more on the SD, but their waltz is sublime.

jcoates

Medalist
For all the talk of individual personal preferences of either D/W or V/M and the skating style, performance ability, musical nuance, home ice advantage, etc. between the two events, their difference in score comes down to one level on the first rhumba sequence.

CassAgain

On the Ice
For all the talk of individual personal preferences of either D/W or V/M and the skating style, performance ability, musical nuance, home ice advantage, etc. between the two events, their difference in score comes down to one level on the first rhumba sequence.

Seriously. It's going to be quite a season. Barring mistakes by either team, it will probably come down to what judges want to any given competition. The atmosphere in canton is going to be...interesting.

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Riazanova/Tkachenko got at music restriction violations of -2.00. Not uplifting enough or no discernable beat?

Right. But even Mahler had to wait until Nationals/Olympics before it was skated at it's peak, so what you're arguing is that D/W have put out something so superior that V/M are simply incapable of beating them no matter how much they improve.
Disagree with me all you want but please don't tell me what I'm arguing. I thought Mahler was fabulous the first time I saw it. And I suggested improvements precisely so that V/M's program can be more competitive with D/W. I realize I misspoke by saying "never" but I meant "never in this form" ie not unless they rework it with improvements such as those I immediately tried to suggest... or better ones!

I usually prefer V/M to D/W because the latter are too busy and less emotional but this is one time when IMO D/W have turned their strengths into an advantage.