Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 155

Thread: Free Dance

  1. #91
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    8,073
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Yankees are devils. That you compared D/W or V/M to them is an affront to my very soul.

    ..... Wait, do they play soccer or tennis?
    Honestly, I'm just happy that neither team was nowhere near this year's World Series title.

  2. #92
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    552
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    I know. But do you really and truly believe their program is the equal of D/W?
    Whether this program is the equal of D/W or not, THE SCORE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH BECAUSE IT'S IN CANADA! Please stop creating some scandal or accusation that's not true.

  3. #93
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    414
    I really dont think you can compare one of the all time greats like D/W with pretty much anyone anymore. That free dance will be what future generations look back on for years to come.

    After all these years finally another BOLERO!

  4. #94
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    133
    Are you just trying to be funny? You cant be serious...

  5. #95
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,071
    Mrs. P makes a really good point. There are two really, really exciting races shaping up for this season. Obviously for gold between D/W and V/M. But also for bronze between P/B, the Shibs, W/P, and C/L so far. Also, it will be interesting to see how the Russian teams hold up and if they can maintain their current foothold, move up or lose any more ground. Given how long their programs have been out there, it's fairly disconcerting that R/T would suffer a music deduction so late in the process. Worse, their program was not well received, deduction or not, relative to a team who fell in a previous segment and that was only formed in the last few months. I'll be curious to see how I/K and B/S perform in the coming weeks. Stavisky was not keen on their programs as seen at the test skates according to an interview he gave a few weeks ago, particularly the SDs. I could see up to 6-7 teams realistically vying for bronze next March. That will be a lot of fun to watch.

    I wonder if they will lose ground or set themselves up with large deficits after their SDs if they have not improved their overall composition. Latin dances really require authentic and very specific character more than other styles. From what I say exhibited at the test skates, there really was no latin feel to what they put out. That may be a cultural issue rather than an indication of their work ethic or intent. Just as some more classical dance styles have favored European teams in the past, this latin theme may slightly favor NA or western European teams just a tad. Their technical elements may be there, but their PCS will likely be hurt if the composition of the dances is not improved. So even if they have high quality FDs, they may be too far behind. We'll have to wait and see. It should be very interesting.

  6. #96
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    433
    We are lucky to witness 2 such great teames at the same time than V/M and D/W.

    I love them both, but prefer V/M because of the more poetic artistic ability.

    This last WorldChamp. V/M has showed an epic, unusual performance which is one of the most memorable one, but couldn't win, because they couldn't quite get the judges' appreciation being the WorldChampionship their first competition of the year (and it was a tendency to create History with the first ever USA WCH in ice dance...)

    Many of us has a feeling it would be somehow fair to get V/M crown back, and our joined feeling is that, with this FD it will not be possible (my very strict opinion).

    Last year D/W won with their less impressive FD in the last couple of years but now their FD is a masterpiece.

    V/M program simply doesn't let them to Show all of their bright, fantastic quality. That what annoyes us, because we want to see 2 gorgeous program, and the result must be decided by the quality of the performance not the quality of the program only.

  7. #97
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,609
    Just prior to CoR in 2009, there was a report about the early mornings both Meryl and Charlie had, being students while being high level athletes. Charlie said that the way he motivated himself to get out of bed was by repeating "0.04" to himself (the amount they lost the bronze medal by in 2009, and perhaps the flukiest loss in bronze medal history, up until 2011 anyway). Clearly both had worked like mad over the summer and when I saw POTO at CoR, I was blown away. The vigour, the committment, the sheer chutzpah of the whole thing. I've mentioned before that I think Samson and Delilah was D/W's best FD and I don't think that I'm gonna change my mind any time soon - certainly not this year, but that was so thrilling an athletic spectacle that I couldn't help but applaud (putting aside my aforementioned feelings on the music). I think anyone underestimating their hunger or their work ethic is doing so at their own peril, and I'm confident that Tessa and Scott are the last people to do that.

    If you asked me to bet right now, I'd bet on Davis/White. But what I don't feel is that the result is preordained or inevitable. I feel to do so would be dismissive of both teams as competitors and the feeling I have that the judges are probably really hoping one of them makes a mistake and makes their job easier. I think fans (except a few ubers on both sides) are hoping for the opposite.

  8. #98
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    But what I don't feel is that the result is preordained or inevitable. I feel to do so would be dismissive of both teams as competitors and the feeling I have that the judges are probably really hoping one of them makes a mistake and makes their job easier. I think fans (except a few ubers on both sides) are hoping for the opposite.
    Exactly!

  9. #99
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by bellafurr View Post
    Are you just trying to be funny? You cant be serious...
    Are you trying to be funny by not acknowledging a masterpiece? No program has garnered so much admiration since Kwan's Salome' and the hype would be even bigger if skating had the audience it once had. Maybe this program will start to bring people back to the sport.

  10. #100
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    133
    Oh ok. Then dont worry so much about what Virtue and Moir are doing then>

  11. #101
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,818
    Quote Originally Posted by blackswanphoto View Post
    Are you trying to be funny by not acknowledging a masterpiece? No program has garnered so much admiration since Kwan's Salome' and the hype would be even bigger if skating had the audience it once had. Maybe this program will start to bring people back to the sport.
    Funny, I thought Kwan's most signature piece was Lyra Angelica, the program she scored the most 6.0 with. Kwan's Salome, which led her to her first World title was probably her most controversial win. Then again, getting facts straight doesn't seem to be the issue here.

  12. #102
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    Funny, I thought Kwan's most signature piece was Lyra Angelica, the program she scored the most 6.0 with. Kwan's Salome, which led her to her first World title was probably her most controversial win. Then again, getting facts straight doesn't seem to be the issue here.
    I dont think Lyra was her Signature piece. She had her best performance with it yes. But when not performed correctly it was a bit bland. Which is why unfortunately Tara snatched her wig at the Olympics. Salome' was more exciting, which is what D/W free dance is.

  13. #103
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    94
    Repeating an idea over and over again won't make it become the truth

  14. #104
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,657
    awwwww... now THIS is ice dance... total argument on teams that haven't met each other yet in competition this season.

  15. #105
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,818
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    awwwww... now THIS is ice dance... total argument on teams that haven't met each other yet in competition this season.
    And somehow dragging Ms. Kwan into it as well...or declared Mission Impossible 2 months before the competition.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •