2011 Canadian Sectional Championships
Not much discussion/predictions on the upcoming/completed Sectional Championships, so I decided to start one.
NL Section: Nov 11-12
NS Section: Oct 29-30
NB Section: Nov 4-6
PEI Section: Not listed but I believe they get together with NS or NB
QC Section: Nov 9-13
EO Section: Nov 4-6
CO Section: Nov 10-13
WO Section: Nov 4-6
NO Section: Oct 21-22 (Completed - No results yet)
MB Section: Nov 4-5
SK Section: Nov 11-13
AB Section: Nov 3-6
BC Section: Nov 10-13
Good Luck to all skaters. May you all have fun.
Any results for AB, WOS, EOS yet. Please pass along.
Watched the WOS pairs and dance, and a little singles. The report cards are posted online on the WOS site. Couple of observations:
- There is a strong field of pairs teams at the top, and only a few developing underneath. That is not a good thing for the future. But perhaps pairs teams just start later?
- Bobek/Beharry are beautiful, and continuing to improve.
- I don't think there is much question whether or not Bobek/Beharry will bring home the hardware at Nationals in Junior this year. I hope they medal at the JGPF in Quebec City.
- Orr/Furiano and Rau/Simpson have been pushing each other for years. For Orr/Furiano, they look like they are having a good year. I'm not sure whether or not he has a year of Junior left after this one. Perhaps they will be able to get some international experience. For Rau/Simpson, they have all the time in the world. She's too young to be on the JGP circuit this year. I'm sort of glad they have Bobek/Beharry to take the spotlight so they can grow, mature and develop. Next year they will be ready for JGP assignments.
- In dance, the ranks are very thin at the top, but filling up nicely at the bottom. There were 5 pre-juvenile teams, 2 juvenile teams, 1 pre-novice team, 1 novice team, and 1 senior team. Nice for the future, but very low numbers right now in the competitive ranks.
- Arnold/Trojek withdrew. I guess that means they are done skating? Maybe injured? There was also a Junior team that didn't skate, and a novice team that withdrew.
- The pre-novice and novice teams are definitely going to struggle at Challenge.
- Lioudvinevitch/Mulder were the only dance team at Senior. They have made a lot of improvement over the last couple of months. Stronger, more confident, and mostly clean. Still some levels issues, and it looks like a couple of judges gave them a hard time with low GOE's and PCS (looking at the report cards, PCS on FD ranged from 3.50 to 6.00 - I'm thinking this was more on the side of the 6.00), but I'm sure they will have no problem getting through to Nationals. If they can skate clean, and continue their course of improvement all the way to Nationals, they could very well challenge for one of those spots between 6 and 10 at Nationals. Gorgeous programs, especially the FD. Gorgeous costumes. And a very smooth, elegant skating style with deep knees and edges. In comparing from last year, their biggest noticeable improvements are much faster speed and night and day difference in presentation/connecting with the music and each other.
EOS Sectional Results: [url]http://www.skate-eos.on.ca/competitionssub_11-12results.html[/url]
WOS Sectional Results: [url]http://www.skating-wos.on.ca/results/2011-12/11sec/index.htm[/url]
AB/NWT/NUN Sectional Results: [url]http://www.skateabnwtnun.com/en-us/competitions/201112season/sectionalsresults.aspx[/url]
NS Sectional Results: [url]http://www.skatecanada.ns.ca/NewsEvents/News/NewsDetail/tabid/16946/sni[/url]/1211/language/en-US/Default.aspx
NO Sectional Results: No Results Posted
MB Sectional Results: [url]http://www.mbskates.ca/Competition.html[/url]
NB/PEI Sectional Results: [url]http://www.skatenb.org/en-us/events/nbpeisectionals2012.aspx[/url]
Last edited by hohoho; 11-08-2011 at 03:06 PM.
This result is interesting (from COS sectionals, short dance):
The fight for the third spot on the podium at nationals could be very interesting.
Originally Posted by geoskate
Not much of a fight with P/I having such a rough year. I am not even sure they will be able to stay ahead of R/H. G/P have it in the bag - P's reputation helps.
Feel very bad for R/H. They have made some great improvements this year, their skating has improved, their programs are so much better, she has been glammed/tarted up, and yet they are still a country mile from third.
Last edited by jolen; 11-13-2011 at 09:20 AM.
Wicked Yankee Girl
Strictly speaking, it's hard to read all that much future history into a single, two-team SD competition.
Besides which, R&H's FD is much better than their SD.
Based on the scoring/overscoring(?) at Octoberfest, I think it will be a similar result after the free dance.
Originally Posted by dorispulaski
who goes to worlds
assuming Poirier and Gillis take the 3rd spot at Nationals, and Asher/Hill take 4th , wouldnt Asher/Hill get to go to worlds based on Poirier /Gillis not being eligible yet to represent Canada?
Originally Posted by jolen
That would be great for R/H and would give them a good start for next year.
If G/P are not eligible, when will they be? I thought she had the release.
Results are posted. G/P have a full 18 points in the free dance over K/H and 150.84 to 128.88 in total.
Originally Posted by jolen
Last edited by jolen; 11-13-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Constable , Costume Police
G/P would not be eligible to go to world's 'til 2013 , I think.
But since these sectional marks ( COS and BC ) seem to be coming to us from the Twilight Zone , I don't think we should make any assumptions about placements at Nationals.
Ice Dancing and Johnny Fan
She's been promised the release, but she doesn't get it until this coming summer/fall.
Originally Posted by jolen
NL Sectional Results: [url]http://www.skating.nf.ca/?p=4031#more-4031[/url]
QC Sectional Results: [url]http://www.patinage.qc.ca/doc/resultats/Section_A_2012/resultats_section_A_2012.html[/url]
COS Sectional Results: [url]http://www.skatecanada-centralontario.com/Irma/Sectionals%202012/index.htm[/url]
SK Sectional Results: [url]http://www.skatecanadasaskatchewan.com/competitions/[/url]
BC/YT Sectional Results: [url]http://www.skatinginbc.com/results/super-series-2012-skate-canada-bcyt-sectionals/2012-bcyt-sectionals-results[/url]
Congratulations to all competitors and those advancing to Regina for Challenge.