Article about Skate Canada Sponsorship Issues and Next Year's SC Location | Golden Skate

Article about Skate Canada Sponsorship Issues and Next Year's SC Location

prettykeys

Medalist
Dude, what's up with the comments on that article saying Figure Skating isn't a sport?

And I see one that sarcastically responded, "Lifting a 100lb female over your head while skating is not athletic" and people didn't get it.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I thought we in the US had a lock on that kind of idiocy. Sad to know our Canadian neighbors have been infected with it.

Antilles

Medalist
Morons exist everywhere. I hadn't even noticed the comments. I generally don't read them on any news story, because they remind me how many dumb people truly exist around us.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
One of the comments on the article was "Issue is not whether this is a sport, issue whether anyone cares about it?" This is a big problem for skating, particularly in North America. The companies with the deep pockets can turn on the TV to a Grand Prix event, see a ton of empty seats, watch skaters the average viewer has never heard of, and then the next day see the dismal ratings for the televised event. I don't blame them for not wanting to sponsor these events.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I was at SkateAmerica and yes, the seats were empty....but they did get a sponsor who, knowing how bad Portland was still wanted its world wide name out there on all the world wide TV feeds (I would love to know how many people are watching NBC coverage) I also wonder about the TV ratings in Canada?
Clearly, they filled quite a few more seats at this year's SkateCanada than they did at SkateAmerica. What I cant understand is that at SkateAmerica, the practices were free and open to the public and the individual event prices were very reasonable, and yet no one came.....not the local LA skating club members....not the public.....no one. Has skating sunk so low in the US that you cant give away tickets to see World Champions?
Take away the coaches, skaters, families, Katia Gordeeva and all the support staff out of the stands and the attendance was in the hundreds for any event....how sad....the locals I talked to said the event wasnt promoted for some reason....I do not know if that is true but with the low ticket prices, maybe the cost of promotion in LA wouldnt have been worth it....it is a mystery to me....

prettykeys

Medalist
^ CoyoteChris, that is sad to hear. I didn't know it was that bad for Skate America.

Promotion is really important. Even for me who follows figure skating regularly during the year...I had to listen to a radio saying that Mississauga Skate Canada tickets were being sold (in the 2nd week of October) to tell myself to grab the tickets.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I was at SkateAmerica and yes, the seats were empty....but they did get a sponsor who, knowing how bad Portland was still wanted its world wide name out there on all the world wide TV feeds (I would love to know how many people are watching NBC coverage) I also wonder about the TV ratings in Canada?
Clearly, they filled quite a few more seats at this year's SkateCanada than they did at SkateAmerica. What I cant understand is that at SkateAmerica, the practices were free and open to the public and the individual event prices were very reasonable, and yet no one came.....not the local LA skating club members....not the public.....no one. Has skating sunk so low in the US that you cant give away tickets to see World Champions?
Take away the coaches, skaters, families, Katia Gordeeva and all the support staff out of the stands and the attendance was in the hundreds for any event....how sad....the locals I talked to said the event wasnt promoted for some reason....I do not know if that is true but with the low ticket prices, maybe the cost of promotion in LA wouldnt have been worth it....it is a mystery to me....

I think it's a bit deceiving as I believe the auditorium in Canada is quite a bit smaller than the one in Ontario.

Citizen Business Bank Arena (Ontario, Calif.): Full capacity is 9,500. (for sporting events; it's higher for concerts)
Hershey Arena (Mississauga, Ont.) : Full capacity is 5,500. (same thing applies)

That's a big difference! So it's likely that both events attracted the same number of people, but obviously there would be more empty seats at SA.

KKonas

Medalist
2011 Skate America had the lowest attendance I've seen in awhile. George Rossano who keeps an unofficial count has attendance for the Men/Dance Finals at approx 1000, Ladeis at 1600, Pairs at 1200 and Exhibition at only 750. Ontario is a great place for skating events as it has an airport, plenty of hotels and restaurants nearby and a newish arena, but USFS did nothing to promote it except at their website and in local area clubs. However, driving just from LA proper or its southern suburbs to Ontario with the traffic is daunting.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Actually Doris, I did write a short trip report for reference on Ontario in case they have another event there and I can polish it up a bit, put it here and post a link to my pics on photobucket. Give me a few days....I took pics of the seats that had bodies in them and I think you will be amazed. Many sections were closed off to the public and some pretty much only had special people in them. I will say that I can see why no one wants to drive around LA, after talking with some of the locals. I will also say that I like this arena. It is within walking distance of a number of hotels, so close that even a number of the skaters weren't taking the shuttle. The seats are relatively wide and well padded, and the pitch was good for watching skating. The nose bleeds were empty if memory serves and not needed. More later......

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I always love to hear about the reactions of people who saw performances live! And AFAIR, you wrote a very interesting report last year, Chris.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Slightly OT, but everytime I read a comment from someone saying figure skating isn't a real sport--I want to invite those people onto the ice with me, and have them do something simple. Forward crossovers in the natural direction. For half an hour. When they've mastered that, we'll move on to the unnatural/opposite direction. If they don't come off the ice without a few bruises and sprained wrists, then they can tell me skating isn't a real sport.

On the subject of "real sports," I can proudly report that in Detroit the news media go out of their way to support skaters as sportsmen, especially Davis and White. Charlie was included on a short list of "famous local athletes" (along with hockey players, a football coach, etc.) who contributed opinions on "Why the Detroit Tigers are going to beat the Texas Rangers and make the World Series."

Meryl threw the ceremonial first pitch at a Tigers game, shortly after winning the World Championship.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Well, even before the whack, Paramus, NJ, named a street after Elaine Zayak.

Is there a Meryl & Charlie St. yet?

callalily

On the Ice
I think it's a bit deceiving as I believe the auditorium in Canada is quite a bit smaller than the one in Ontario.

Citizen Business Bank Arena (Ontario, Calif.): Full capacity is 9,500. (for sporting events; it's higher for concerts)
Hershey Arena (Mississauga, Ont.) : Full capacity is 5,500. (same thing applies)

That's a big difference! So it's likely that both events attracted the same number of people, but obviously there would be more empty seats at SA.

Skate Canada was not sold out, but attendance was excellent. I'd say it was about 80% full for the events on average (so 4,000 attendees, say), plus Thursday practices were attended by more than 500 (not counting school groups).

There wasn't much advertising, so I don't think the broader general public came, but there are many people interested in figure skating in Toronto/SW Ontario/adjacent northern States who know when the GP's take place and seek out tickets. Quite a few Japanese fans flew in as well.

Last edited:

Dragonlady

Final Flight

There were a number of posts in other forums from skating fans who live in the area who had no idea Skate America was taking place in their community because there was no advertising for it locally.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
When I was eating at the Black Angus a two wood shot away from the Hilton, I asked the help if they knew an international skating competition was going on, and only a few had a vague idea. When SkateAmeria was in Spokane in 2002, there was lots of local TV and paper coverage and a 4 story tall banner/pic of that Hughes girl that didnt show hanging on the side of a big downtown building. I just watched Yagudin's short from that event and yes, the place wasnt packed but there was a good crowd. I am not into marketing but you have to wonder if the fans are now an after thought. Do we spend $50,000 in local advertising to get 1,000 more people to come? About the same thing happened in Portland last year. They gave away tickets to the Gala. All I can tell you is that I know the event organizers for SkateAmerica 2002, Nats 2007 and nats 2010 just to say hello and exchange a few words....The last time I saw Toby and Barb, I asked them if they were going to promote Spokane again for skating and they shook their heads....no.....something has changed cause I thought the nats in Spokane 2010 had a pretty good attendance. Maybe not sold out novice compulsory Dance like we had in 2007, but there were lots of hotel rooms filled and meals bought....

genki

On the Ice
When I talk about " Skate America" to my non figure skating fan friends,
they all said," Is it US nationals?" Then I explain what grand prix of figure skating is and blah,blah,blah."

Surprising thing is that the same thing is happening every year!! I say, Skate America, then they say us Nationals, I say Skate Canada, then they say Canadian Nationals. They are not even listening.

So sad that people are quite ignorant about this sports. But it may be a blessing too, because I know how hard and expensive to get a ticket in Japan.:laugh: