Skating 'is not at all about money' | Golden Skate

Skating 'is not at all about money'

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A gold medal at Skate Canada International translates into nearly $20,000 cash. But the Canadian figure skating CEO William Thompson isn’t anticipating a day where his organization forks out dough to lure more star talent to take part in this country’s Grand Prix stop.

More

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
If it's not at all about money, I hope the Canadian figure skating CEO William Thompson is not receiving any salary. :)

sorcerer

Final Flight
He says next, "It’s about the expectations for what each side will do at an event."
What are they exactly?

One interesting point was brought up on another thread. The skaters receive prize money as the reward that they earned fair and square in competition. But they have to skate in the gala or they won't get the money. Think about it. ;)

Anyway, I hope that the Canadian Federation is able to attract a sponsor for Skate Canada International next year, after two years of no commercial interest. The federation seems already to be counting on enticing Davis and White to come and compete against Virtue and Moir to save their bacon.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
Anyway, I hope that the Canadian Federation is able to attract a sponsor for Skate Canada International next year, after two years of no commercial interest. The federation seems already to be counting on enticing Davis and White to come and compete against Virtue and Moir to save their bacon.

I think that this was conjecture on the part of the writer, not something that William Thompson said. The way the seeds are assigned to events, the ISU would not have the two top ice-dance teams in the world compete head to head prior to the GPF. They do everything possible to prevent such a thing from happening.

wallylutz

Medalist
The way the seeds are assigned to events, the ISU would not have the two top ice-dance teams in the world compete head to head prior to the GPF. They do everything possible to prevent such a thing from happening.

Your information is outdated. Such restriction is no longer the case starting 2011-12. Here is the proof:

http://www.isuresults.com/events/gp2011/gpspairs.htm

World Pairs Champion S/S of Germany opted to do 3 events this season. If not for Qing/Pang skipping the GP series this season, necessarily, they would have to bump into S/S during one of the 6 stops. Likewise, V/M purposely turned down doing a 3rd GP event, not because they can't but because they chose not to. Had they accepted such invitation, they would additionally face either D/W or Shibs at one other GP event.

Nothing stands in the way as far as the ISU is concerned for Skate Canada to invite D/W to Skate Canada Int'l assuming both teams remain in Top 3 at the Worlds.

I...the ISU would not have the two top ice-dance teams in the world compete head to head prior to the GPF. They do everything possible to prevent such a thing from happening.

I forgot about that! I guess Skate Canada Intermational will not have that extra marketing pull next year after all.

Edited to add: Oops.I just read Wallylutz' intervening post. The plot thickens. Now the question becomes, will "proximity" be enough of an enticement for Davis and White to come to Windsor? (Windsor s just across the river, south of Detroit. -- I'll be there in any case, appearance fee or not. :yes: )

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I see no reason for D&W to do it next year....especially since nothing is planned as a monetary reward for them, other than the opportunity to finish 1st or 2nd in a GP. Big risk, little reward. And it doesn't look like USFS gets any of the money.

So why should D&W comply?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I think companies should take worldwide online viewership into consideration, not just event attendees and TV viewers whom they actually try to limite.

eta:

Feds support skating

Mississauga-Brampton South MPP Eves Adams said that Prime Minister Stephen Harper's government contributed $50,000 towards the 2011 Skate Canada International Grand Prix of Figure Skating through Sport Canada's Hosting Program.

"Hosting international sporting events not only provides opportunities for our athletes and coaches, but also brings economic benefits to our communities," said Adams. "I would like to congratulate the organizers and local volunteers for their efforts."

Nice to know there is a Sport Canada's Hosting Program.

Last edited:

yfbg722

Spectator
Country
Canada
I see no reason for D&W to do it next year....especially since nothing is planned as a monetary reward for them, other than the opportunity to finish 1st or 2nd in a GP. Big risk, little reward. And it doesn't look like USFS gets any of the money.

So why should D&W comply?

They might choose to comply because there is prize money for winning a medal (which they are likely to do), and points to be earned towards the Grand Prix Final and a shot at more prize money, with very little outlay in cash for them to get there to compete.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Bad choices. Who wants to arrive at the GPF with less points than they need to. Prizes on the GP are fairly insignificant these days.

Men and Ladies, Pairs and Ice Dance (per couple)

1st place USD $ 25,000; $12,500 a piece.
2nd place USD $ 18,000 $9,000 a piece.

When you are looking at Red Sox and Yankees,
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080422130244AA1z6yd

Arod for example gets $185,185.19 per game. Skating isn't baseball. It isn't at this point about money.

For that money, D&W have to skate 2 programs and a gala.
If they were Arod & another guy on the same team who works for about the same money, each would earn $555,555.57. But skating isn't baseball.

If they finish first, they get $4,166 a piece per appearance. If they finish second to V&M, each would get a measly $3k per appearance, and probably screw up at least one costume, which could easily cost as much as either of them would make on the venture.

In skating, arguments about making money on the GP ring very hollow.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Not only why should D/W comply but why should they want to face V/M on V/M's home territory. Skate Canada has had some very beneficial results-for Canadians. Chan's four fall victory last year being the most notorious... Why after all wouldn't the USFSA prefer the match up at Skate America?

Me thinks if the two teams WERE to meet it would be better to have it neutral ground.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
The winning skaters get prize money so yes, the skaters do get it. It is most definitely not "sinful and un-amateur" for the eligible skaters to get prize or appearance money and hasn't been since the 90's when the ISU started awarding prize money. "Amateur" is a quaint term which no longer used in Olymmpic sports.

^ It seems to be a tangled web. The prize money that skaters get does not come from the Canadian government, but from the ISU. But the ISU gets its money from dues-paying members like Skate Canada. As far as I can tell the government money goes directly to the event organizers to defray their expenses for putting on the competition. Maybe they use it to pay skaters' hotel bills.

Anyway, I liked the lead-in to the article:

As the skaters were cutting their last figures at Skate Canada in Mississauga yesterday, federal politicians were moving to take credit for the success of the event.

The Internet consensus seems to be that the government should have sprung for some flowers to spruce up the kiss and cry. :)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
The Internet consensus seems to be that the government should have sprung for some flowers to spruce up the kiss and cry. :)

Well. the organizers showed they were frugal with tax payers' money. Better the money go to publicity to fill the seats and the hotels.

For that money, D&W have to skate 2 programs and a gala.

If they were Arod & another guy on the same team who works for about the same money, each would earn $555,555.57.

I, for one, would pay 55 cents to see Alex Rodriquez and Derek Jeter do a tango on ice. Me and a million other Yankee ice dance fans, and there you go!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I am not sure why the second page is currently unavailable

But I did include a link to Red Sox dancing the Irish jig.

They were certainly more authentic about it than some ice dancers were in their folk OD's. ;)