Cup of China Predictions | Golden Skate

Cup of China Predictions

icellist

On the Ice
Seeing how there is no predictions thread yet. voila!

Men:
1 Kevin REYNOLDS (CAN)
2 Jinlin GUAN (CHN) withdrew
3 Nan SONG (CHN)
4 Jialiang WU (CHN)
5 Brian JOUBERT (FRA) withdrew
6 Yuzuru HANYU (JPN)
7 Nobunari ODA (JPN)
8 Artur GACHINSKI (RUS)
9 Jeremy ABBOTT (USA)
10 Richard DORNBUSH (USA)

Ladies:
1 Bingwa GENG (CHN)
2 Kexing ZHANG (CHN)
3 Qiuying ZHU (CHN)
4 Carolina KOSTNER (ITA)
5 Valentina MARCHEI (ITA)
6 Kanako MURAKAMI (JPN)
7 Ksenia MAKAROVA (RUS)
8 Adelina SOTNIKOVA (RUS)
9 Christina GAO (USA)
10 Mirai NAGASU (USA)

Pairs:
1 Kirsten MOORE-TOWERS / Dylan MOSCOVITCH (CAN)
2 Taylor STEELE / Robert SCHULTZ (CAN )
3 Wenjing SUI / Cong HAN (CHN)
4 Xiaoyu YU / Yang JIN (CHN)
5 Dan ZHANG / Hao ZHANG (CHN)
6 Klara KADLECOVA / Petr BIDAR (CZE)
7 Yuko KAVAGUTI / Alexander SMIRNOV (RUS)
8 Amanda EVORA / Mark LADWIG (USA)

Dance:
1 Xintong HUANG / Xun ZHENG (CHN)
2 Xiaoyang YU / Chen WANG (CHN)
3 Pernelle CARRON / Lloyd JONES (FRA)
4 Penny COOMES / Nicholas BUCKLAND (GBR)
5 Ekaterina BOBROVA / Dmitri SOLOVIEV RUS (RUS)
6 Charlotte LICHTMAN / Dean COPELY (USA)
7 Emily SAMUELSON / Todd GILLES (USA)
8 Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI (USA)

Happy Pickings!

Last edited:

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'll come back to do predictions, but just a quick note: Brian Joubert withdrew from CoC.

Shaba22

Final Flight
Men:
1 Artur GACHINSKI (RUS)
2 Yuzuru HANYU (JPN)
3 Nobunari ODA (JPN)

Ladies:
1 Adelina SOTNIKOVA (RUS)
2 Kanako MURAKAMI (JPN)
3 Carolina KOSTNER (ITA)

Pairs:
1 Yuko KAVAGUTI / Alexander SMIRNOV (RUS)
2 Wenjing SUI / Cong HAN (CHN)
3 Dan ZHANG / Hao ZHANG (CHN)

Dance:
1 Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI (USA)
2 Ekaterina BOBROVA / Dmitri SOLOVIEV RUS (RUS)
3 Emily SAMUELSON / Todd GILLES (USA)

NMURA

Medalist
Men
1 Hanyu
2 Song
3 Gachinski

A reminiscence of 2010 junior worlds. Reflecting on SA and SC, someone unexpected have won silvers. At least, Song has the quad, consistent 3A plus home supports.

Ladies
1 Kostner
2 Murakami
3 Sotnikova

In ladies, the "favorites" have won so far. Kostner will score over 180 with SA performance here. It would be hard for teens to make up for the PCS gaps.

Pairs
1 Z/Z
2 K/S
3 S/H

The Chinese federation will not allow S/H to be above Zhangs.

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
Ladies
1. Carolina
2. Kanako
3. Adelina

Men
1. Nobunari
2. Yuzuru
3. Jeremy

Pairs
1. The Zhangs
2. Kavaguti & Smirnov
3. Sui & Han

Ice Dance
1. The Shibutanis
2. Bobrova & Soloviev
3. Samuelson & Gilles

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Ladies:
1. Carolina Kostner. I rather she does the robbing. It's odd to see Caro being robbed. My heart can't stand it. :biggrin:
2. Adelina
3. Kanako

Men:
1. Nobu. He's a strong GP skater. I can't believe someone wouldn't put him in the top 3.
2. Yuzuru
3. Athur

Pairs:
1. K/S.
2. Z/Z
3. S/H

Dance:
1. S/S
2. B/S
3. S/G

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Dance:

Shibutanis
Bobrova & Soloviev
Carron & Jones
Lichtman & Copely
Samuelson & Gilles

This is a hard one to guess.

icellist

On the Ice
Men:
Podium consisting of Yuzuru Hanyu, Nobunari Oda, and Jeremy Abbott
with Artur Gachinski in bronze

Ladies:
Do I dare?
Gold - Mirai Nagasu (yes, unrealistic. it's just a hope now. but i still have faith in her!)
Silver - Carolina Kostner
Bronze - Adelina Sotnikova
I don't like Kanako's programs from what i've seen in shows. And her flutz got worse.

Pairs:
Gold - Zhangs
Silver - Kavaguti/Smirnov
Bronze - Sui/Han
Pewter - Evora/Ladwig (hopefully)

Dance:
Gold - Shib
Silver - Russians
Bronze - Lichtman/Copely (I enjoy their programs)

FTnoona

Final Flight
Men:
1. Oda
2. Gachinski
3. Abbott

Hanyu seems to be having problems with his lutz and his stamina hasn't really improved so I don't think he'll make the podium.

Ladies:
1. Kostner
2. Sotnikova
3. Murakami

I'd love to see Mirai on the podium but after SC...

Last edited:

jChamp

Rinkside
Men
1. Oda
2. Abbott
3. Hanyu
4. Gachinski
5. Dornbush
6. Song7. Reynolds
8. Wu
9. Guan

This one could turn out a couple of different ways. I think Oda is the clear favorite (and i'm surprised he's not higher on some lists). Sure, he tends to fizzle out by the end of the season but he usually has very strong GP results. I think Abbott will have a strong showing this year as well. He has a lot of pressure to perform well after such a dissapointing end to last season. Hanyu and Gachinski will be close, I think, but I like what i've seen from Hanyu so far this season. Gachinski....not so much. At all. Also, he finished 5th, 6th, and 7th at Euros and his 2 GPs last season. He managed a bronze at worlds, but I don't think that one performance makes him a podium lock. The rest of the field is a toss up. I would love to see Dornbush do well, though. Reynolds is one of those :rolleye: skaters to me, Nan is very inconsistent, and the other two Chinese men will battle for 8th.

Ladies
1. Sotkinova
2. Kostner
3. Nagasu
4. Murakami
5. Gao
6. Makarova
7. Marchei
8. Bingwa
9. Zhang
10. Zhu

This isn't my dream podium AT ALL (which would be Nagasu, Kostner, Murakami in that order), but i'm trying to be more realistic this week. Seeing Tuk last weekend made it clear that the Russian teens are going to dominate unless the vets go clean, which, sadly, doesn't seem to happen all that much anymore. I still think that Kostner and Nagasu are the most talented here, so i'm hoping that they both can pull it together. I think that Murakami will be left behind this year; she's not the fresh, new senior-level skater anymore, but she doesn't have the maturity of the others either. Gao has a lot of potential and could spoil, especially if she has improved under her new coaches. If Makarova skates like she did two weeks ago, she'll be lucky to finish in the top half again. The same is true of Marchei. Again, I think the host invites will round out the bottom, though Geng did surprise with a solid finish here last year.

Pairs
1. Zhang/Zhang
2. Kavaguti/Smirov
3. Sui/Han
4. Moore-Towers/Moscovitch
5. Evora/Ladwig
6. Xiaoyu/Jin
7. Kadlecova/Bidar
8. Steele/Schultz

Not too much to say here. The top 5 are, I think, in a different league than the other three. I see the Zhangs grabbing the gold here with solid, if dull, performances. Kavaguti/Smirnov could steal the show if they are back to their old form, though. I would LOVE to see Evora/Ladwig or even MT/M on the podium over Sui/Han, but I predict that the judges won't feel the same, even if all three teams are clean.

Dance
1. Shibutanis
2. Bobrova/Soloviev
3. Lichtman/Copely
4. Carron/Jones
5. Samulson/Gilles
6. Huang/Zheng
7. Coomes/Buckland
8. Yu/Wang

This is, to me, the most exciting discipline at this event. The Shibs finally have a chance to dance out of D/W's and V/M's shadow. They really did have unlucky assignments last year. I hope they can claim gold here. Bobrova/Soloviev are the only threats, and they will i'm sure be hungry to gain some reputation as Russia's number 1 this year. The rest is exciting because it's so unpredictable. I'm going with Lichtman/Copely for bronze, but I could see Carron/Jones, Samulson/Gilles, or even Huang/Zheng there too. Weirder things have happened this season. I could also see Samulson/Gilles near the very bottom. Who knows???

JDLutz

Rinkside
Well here we go :biggrin:

Pairs
1.KAVAGUTI / SMIRNOV
2.ZHANG / ZHANG
3.SUI / HAN
4.EVORA / LADWIG
5.MOORE-TOWERS / MOSCOVITCH
6.KADLECOVA / BIDAR
7.YU / JIN
8.STEELE / SCHULTZ

Men
1.HANYU
2.ODA
3.ABBOTT
4.GACHINSKI
5.DORNBUSH
6.REYNOLDS
7.SONG
8.GUAN
9.WU

Ladies
1.SOTNIKOVA
2.KOSTNER
3.GAO
4.MURAKAMI
5.NAGASU
6.GENG
7.MARCHEI
8.MAKAROVA
9.ZHANG
10.ZHU

Dance
1.SHIBUTANI / SHIBUTANI
2.BOBROVA / SOLOVIEV
3.SAMUELSON / GILLES
4.LICHTMAN / COPELY
5.CARRON / JONES
6.COOMES / BUCKLAND
7.HUANG / ZHENG
8.YU / WANG

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Ladies
Carolina KOSTNER (ITA)
Adelina SOTNIKOVA (RUS)
Kanako MURAKAMI (JPN)
Christina GAO (USA)
Mirai NAGASU (USA)
Ksenia MAKAROVA (RUS)
Valentina MARCHEI (ITA)
Bingwa GENG (CHN)
Kexing ZHANG (CHN)
Qiuying ZHU (CHN)

Mirai has the potential to surprise here, especially since there's no pressure for her to make the GPF now. That said, I absolutely do not like her FS and I feel that she doesn't either and it will show in her scores. Kostner has been impressive, even with the slightly down watered down content. I think Adelina could actually win, but I'm not sure what she will be like in her debut. Christina and Kanako can also fight for bronze, as far as I'm concerned, but Kanako's edged in the past, so I'll go with her.

Men:
Nobunari ODA (JPN)
Jeremy ABBOTT (USA)
Artur GACHINSKI (RUS)
Yuzuru HANYU (JPN)
Richard DORNBUSH (USA)
Kevin REYNOLDS (CAN)
Nan SONG (CHN)
Jialiang WU (CHN)

As others said Oda is a good GP skater. The only time he doesn't do well in GP is when he self destructs with bad math. I think Abbott can get silver or even win as the field is relatively weak, but it's hard to tell if we'll see good Jeremy or bad Jeremy. Hanyu has stamina issues and Gachinski has some momentum from his surprise bronze. I think Dornbush will do better now that he has gotten some feedback, so I think he could be a dark horse for bronze.

Pairs:
Dan ZHANG / Hao ZHANG (CHN)
Yuko KAVAGUTI / Alexander SMIRNOV (RUS)
Kirsten MOORE-TOWERS / Dylan MOSCOVITCH (CAN)
Wenjing SUI / Cong HAN (CHN)
Amanda EVORA / Mark LADWIG (USA)
Klara KADLECOVA / Petr BIDAR (CZE)
Taylor STEELE / Robert SCHULTZ (CAN )
Xiaoyu YU / Yang JIN (CHN)

Z/Z has great programs and they're on home ice. K/S will do well here, but I think M-T/M can give them a run for their money especially with that fantastic free skate. I would hate for Sui and Han to get bronze on hometown scoring, but it's not out of the question. E/L could be a dark horse for the podium, but it's unlikely given that 3/4 teams have been strong so far this year at their previous GP showings.

Dance:
Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI (USA)
Ekaterina BOBROVA / Dmitri SOLOVIEV RUS (RUS)
Charlotte LICHTMAN / Dean COPELY (USA)
Emily SAMUELSON / Todd GILLES (USA)
Pernelle CARRON / Lloyd JONES (FRA)
Penny COOMES / Nicholas BUCKLAND (GBR)
Xintong HUANG / Xun ZHENG (CHN)
Xiaoyang YU / Chen WANG (CHN)

This is the Shibs' to lose. B/S will easily get on the podium, but I don't think they will challenge the Shibs as they have several tech issues including have a major twizzle problem, which will be more noticeable given the Shibs' fast and crisp twizzles. I really like Lichtman and Copley's FS to Austin Powers program. Samuelson and Gilles is a mystery, but I think it's reasonable that they will beat the rest.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Men:
01. Nobunari ODA
02. Yuzuru HANYU
03. Artur GACHINSKI
04. Jeremy ABBOTT
05. Richard DORNBUSH
06. Nan SONG
07. Kevin REYNOLDS
08. Jialiang WU
09. Jinlin GUAN

Ladies:
01. Adelina SOTNIKOVA
02. Kanako MURAKAMI
03. Carolina KOSTNER
04. Christina GAO
05. Mirai NAGASU
06. Ksenia MAKAROVA
07. Bingwa GENG
08. Valentina MARCHEI
09. Kexing ZHANG
10. Qiuying ZHU

Pairs:
01. Yuko KAVAGUTI / Alexander SMIRNOV
02. Dan ZHANG / Hao ZHANG
03. Kirsten MOORE-TOWERS / Dylan MOSCOVITCH
04. Wenjing SUI / Cong HAN
05. Amanda EVORA / Mark LADWIG
06. Xiaoyu YU / Yang JIN
07. Taylor STEELE / Robert SCHULTZ
08. Klara KADLECOVA / Petr BIDAR

Dance:
01. Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI
02. Ekaterina BOBROVA / Dmitri SOLOVIEV
03. Pernelle CARRON / Lloyd JONES
04. Emily SAMUELSON / Todd GILLES
05. Charlotte LICHTMAN / Dean COPELY
06. Xintong HUANG / Xun ZHENG
07. Penny COOMES / Nicholas BUCKLAND
08. Xiaoyang YU / Chen WANG

Last edited:

genki

On the Ice
So hard to predict.

But here's mine.

Men:
1 Yuzuru HANYU (JPN)
2 Jeremy Abbott (US)
3 Nobunari ODA (JPN)

Ladies:
1 Adelina SOTNIKOVA (RUS)
2Mirai Nagasu (US)
3 Kanako Murakami (JPN)

Pairs:
1 Dan ZHANG / Hao ZHANG (CHN)
2 Yuko KAVAGUTI / Alexander SMIRNOV
3Wenjing SUI / Cong HAN (CHN)

Dance:
1 Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI (USA)
2 Ekaterina BOBROVA / Dmitri SOLOVIEV RUS (RUS)
3 Emily SAMUELSON / Todd GILLES (USA)

Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message

Mirunna

Record Breaker
I'm surprised to see that everyone is so sure the Shibs will run away with the gold easily. They were only 3 points higher than B/S at Worlds 2011(and B/S made a mistake on the circular step sequence). They are my pick for the gold too, but I am not 100% convinced they have it in their bag.(I wanted to say that the Shibs SD is not very good, but neither is B/S SD). I think it will be close and I won't be surprised is B/S win it

gmyers

Record Breaker
Even if it wasn't going to be B/S debut of the season I would still expect S/S to win. Not by a D/W V/M margin like a third of a DWVM margin. Something like what P/B has over the rest of the field.

fairly4

Medalist
i am not going to predict-because the last 2 got me.
1) the men can go for at least 5 arthur gachinski, brian joubert, nobunari oda, yuzuru hany, jeremy abbot

2) the women can go at least 6 -adelina, carolina kostner, kanako, ksenia, christina, and mirai with maybe a chinese lady

3) the pairs can go zhang/zhang, kavaguti /smirnov, sui/han, mooretowers, moscovitch, evora ladwig

4) the dance is shibutanie/ bobrova soloviev wth copely lichtman, samuleson giles, carron jones, combes buckland, and a chinese team.

for me anyone balls game in the events

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm surprised to see that everyone is so sure the Shibs will run away with the gold easily. They were only 3 points higher than B/S at Worlds 2011(and B/S made a mistake on the circular step sequence). They are my pick for the gold too, but I am not 100% convinced they have it in their bag.(I wanted to say that the Shibs SD is not very good, but neither is B/S SD). I think it will be close and I won't be surprised is B/S win it

If they're absolutely clean yes, B/S have a chance of beating the Shibs. Problem is, they weren't all that clean last year. They tend to make these little mistakes, in particular those twizzles.

And even with a very, very harsh tech panel in Finlandia the Shibs still scored relatively well, which I think puts them in a good position for this event.