Will Sarah be at Nationals? | Golden Skate

Will Sarah be at Nationals?

Fossi

Final Flight
I'm looking, looking, looking for information about Sarah and Nationals. All the boards for Sarah are dead. Where are all the Sarah fans? Besides me, are any still at boards? Does anyone know if she plans to compete at Nationals? Please say she will be there.
Sarah, if you're out there, I miss you! Skating is calling you.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
well.... Diane's board is still going... though it's VERY quiet

I don't think we'll know if she's going till Nationals is here....

NorthernLite

On the Ice
Fossi said:
All the boards for Sarah are dead. .. Does anyone know if she plans to compete at Nationals? Please say she will be there.

Well, I was a huge SH fan. But what's there to talk about? She's at Yale.
I've heard she's hardly skating, if at all. If she's at Nats, it'll be in the stands. And I doubt she'll even be interested in going as a spectator.

skatepixie

On the Ice
How....stupid of her. All she would have had to do would be to fix some problems with her skating and she could have had soooo much in this sport. Or, she could have turned pro and made $ touring. Instead, she wants to be a doctor? Sorry, but that seems crazy to me. Id do anything for what she had. Its hard for me to believe that shed throw it away.

I don't see how it is stupid, SkatePixie, to chose one career over another, if that is indeed what Sarah has done. People change, people grow. What seems important at one stage in your life is sometimes replaced by other interests.

Mathman

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Why does wanting to be a doctor sound crazy? God knows we need as many as possible. When you compare what a doctor can do to what a skater can do there is just NO comparisan. Sarah has won the big FS prize, the OGM and seems like she is ready to enter the next stage of her life. This is a very exciting time for her, new friends and challenges, an exciting and satisfying career in the future. Looking at the big picture Sarah the skater has the potential to entertain us, but Sarah Hughes, M.D. has the potential to cure AIDS.

Skatepixie, it's hard to undersatnd why someone who has what we are working toward would want to give that up. We will miss Sarah's skating but should be happy for her that she is trying to reach all of her goals. (if Michelle ever retires you will see that Mathman and I will have started a very similar thread as this LOL)Maybe at a future Olympics (not 2006 that's MK's;) ;) ;) ) YOU will WOW us with a once in a lifetime skate.

Piel

Last edited:

Jhar55

Medalist
What's so stupid about wanting an education. Not choosing skating over having another career that would propably last longer. Very few skaters elite skaters ever skate more than 10yrs after they quit competing. And maybe she'll find being a doctor more rewarding or what ever she decides to do. If you have the chance to get an education while your young go for it and don't look back.

SkateCynic

Rinkside
skatepixie said:
How....stupid of her. All she would have had to do would be to fix some problems with her skating and she could have had soooo much in this sport. Or, she could have turned pro and made $ touring. Instead, she wants to be a doctor? Sorry, but that seems crazy to me. Id do anything for what she had. Its hard for me to believe that shed throw it away.

:rolleye:

When did opting for school at an Ivy League University and pursuing a goal of becoming a doctor become a crazy endeavor?

Think about Tara - she didn't have any goal other than winning the OGM, and now seems to be pursuing a career in Red Carpet Premiere appearances. I'm glad Sarah grew up with the mindset of thinking beyond skating. Tenley Albright went to Med School after her Olympic victory.

I haven't banked on Sarah being at Nats this year, but if she is, it's an added bonus. Only 3 weeks to go!! Wheeeeeee!!!!!

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
sarah hughes

With the way some skaters come and go and come back again, don't be surprised to hear that Sarah will be attempting a comeback in the future, if not this year. I think she will pull a "comeback" a-la Katarina in the near future.

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
I also don't understand why going to Yale could be considered crazy. Sarah has so many opportunities as a skater, but she's also a smart young woman. Kudos to her for wanting to contribute to society.

Random question, I read on another board that Sarah and Robin had a falling out. Is this true? It didn't appear as though Robin was impressed with Sarah's training last year before Worlds (or Nats, I don't remember), but did they have a real falling out? Please note, that I read that elsewhere and there was absolutely no backup to the rumor except that supposedly it happened. I'm taking it with a grain of salt, but I am curious.

C

Cactus

Almost all doctors are mere functionaries. Highly-trained ones, to be sure, but what they do is interchangeable. Most of them are not superior to skaters by virtue of what they do. Elite level skaters, especially ones like Sarah Hughes who can draw huge crowds, generate revenue that support the livelihoods of many people involved in skating, and bring pleasure to millions. Lionizing doctors over skaters is silly.

That said, Sarah probably made the wiser of choices. Her skating fell drastically below the level of an reigning Olympic champion. She's quitting while she's ahead. Well, ok, she's quitting while she's had a year to fall behind from being ahead.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
?

Healing the sick and comforting the dying are extremely worthy functions in my book. Every person is entitled to follow their own path. If this is Sarah's, good luck and God bless her.

I've always watched skating from the sidelines with awe and admiration. However, I could never build my life around a sport. Just one bad fall and your dreams are dead. I admire the people who can take the risks, but it's not for everyone.

C

Cactus

Many can and do heal the sick and comfort the dying.

Few generate the millions needed to support all those involved in the skating industry.

These are facts. Sentimentality do not render them irrelevant.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
If skating disappeared tomorrow all those that the skating industry supports would and could find something else. If all doctors disappeared we would all be in big trouble. The facts are the world could live without skating but not without doctors.

Piel

mpal2

Final Flight
Sarah's endeavor to be a doctor is worthy, but not all pre-med students are in it for worthiness.

My sister and roommate have nothing but evil to say about the pre-med students in some of their chemistry classes. These specific individuals want to cheat off everyone so they can get the best score in the class and then go on to the most prestigious med school for money on down the line. They make no pretense about the fact that they are in it for the money. Sometimes it can be really difficult to find a doctor that actually studied for the sake of knowledge and a desire to help.

In fact, my roommate diagnosed her step grandmother's cancer long before her idiot doctors did. She diagnosed it without every test under the sun just by using her biology and chemistry knowledge.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
No matter what the motive is for becoming a doctor they still provide an indespensible service. Frankly I don't care if my doctor is only in it for the money. In order to be paid he has to provide a service that I need. A service that can only be performed by another doctor. As long as he provides me with good medical care his motive for doing so, his personal life and the like are none of my business. All I care about is that he is a good doctor. There are bad apples in all occupations. Health care providers work lousy hours sometimes in not so great conditions. The work is difficult, stressful, and requires true dedication. The money is good once you become established but getting there is tough. Comparing saving lives to entertaining and sport is ridiculous. Not even in the same ballpark.

Piel

Spirit

On the Ice
Sarah chose the life she wanted. Regarding her career, that is the only fact that matters. All others are completely irrelevant.

Never heard about any rift between her and Robin. I find it doubtful. I can see Robin cracking the whip a little if she felt Sarah wasn't giving 100% to her skating last year, and I can also see a few sharp words or a mild rebuke being blown out of proportion by any who overheard.

mpal2

Final Flight
I just wish that some of them were actually good. I just went through 3 doctors that insisted my problems were fake. I gained 40 pounds in one year while I was excercising 3-5 times a week and watching what I ate and all they wanted to do was throw appetite supressant pills at me. I finally found one that knew what he was doing and I'm finally starting back on the road to health.