If you go to Ontario.....California | Golden Skate

If you go to Ontario.....California

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Every skating venue/town is different, so I keep some notes just in case I ever go back to that city/venue. Here are some misc. brain droppings from my thoughts about Ontario CA. At the end is a link to a few pics I took.

Notes from SA 2011 Ontario. (Bottom line. I would go back to this venue in a heartbeat. Please don't make me go back to Cleveland...)

The airport is nice, small , and only a few miles from the hotels, which have shuttles. I stayed at the LaQuinta, across the street from an event hotel, the Hilton. I did not rent a car. The Hilton had an excellent breakfast bar with great coffee, so I ate there. Most of the credentialed folk ate in their own eating area, away from the common folk, next to the official event Room. But if they dallied, they had to eat with us in the guest area. The free LaQuinta "breakfast" will sustain life and nothing more, although the "you make em" waffles were good. These two hotels were by themselves just to the south west of the arena. There are others to the north with more restaurant choices. Next to the Hilton is a Black Angus, a Mexican place, and the Fusions Bar and Grill. There are other restaurants east of the arena within walking distance, and if you had a car, there are many places north east of the arena. Bill boards and signs are not allowed so know where the restaurants are before you go.

As in many places, there are steep state and local hotel taxes.

The streets around the arena were surprisingly empty of cars at all hours, as a whole. Walking was safe and there were few pedestrians and bicyclists. I saw no pan handlers.

The arena was neat, clean and modern. Food choices were poor but there was an excellent French Vanilla coffee for $3. There was nowhere to sit and eat. Arena Seats were relatively wide and well padded. The pitch was good. Only three sections were open to the fans for practice, which was free and open to the public. There were plenty of bathrooms for men as the attendance was small. Bathroom breaks for woman were problematic during events. The jumbotron was high and not obnoxious. Oddly, there was no ISU video shown before each event showing great skaters from the past, only a USFSA one. There was a curtained VIP eating area on the promenade that blocked any attempts to do laps of the arena during breaks. The "crowds" were mostly kept to four sections. Ticketed VIP folk got free alcohol and excellent finger food in the San Manual room. We ate there four times and I think we got six free drink tickets.....this was only open for an hour before events but was nice and quiet, with an indoor and walled outdoor area. This was also where the "Friends of Figure Skating Breakfast" was held so that took care of another meal. I had to leave the breakfast when the ice dancers came in as every time I get around Madison Hubbell , I start to drool. She is almost as pretty as my wife.

The arena was cold and kept cold for the event. My seat was about unique compared to all the seats in all the events I have been to. Section 102, Row A, seat 1. There was only one seat in Row A.
Credentialed folk rising out of the underworld came up on a platform just to the left of my seat and had to walk to the left or to the right. If they went right, they had to walk by me to where I had to tuck in my feet. At first I thought they were punishing me by putting me there in a corner as I had tried to take Alissa Czisny home as carry-on from the Greensboro airport, but security mostly left me alone and it was a great seat to watch folk on and off the ice (see pic on link) . I have found at events that if you make your own credentials, plus use your VIP ticketed seat credentials, ushers pretty much leave you alone, except during the final events. Before the ladies long I started to walk down to my seat and an usher stopped me and told me I could only sit in the last six rows, at which time I showed her my ticket. Savvy real credentialed folk just used the tunnel by my seat and bypassed the ushers...there was plenty of seats for everyone. (see pics at link)

Just a few skating notes....

Elene Gedevanishvili was in great shape physically and did great practices.....as did Caroline Zhang.
I wish they would have done better in competition.
Do not ever have your wife as your skating coach and do a bad short program as she knows how to really punish you in sooooo many ways. Tiffany Vise and Don Baldwin are looking good and it will be fun to watch Mary Beth and Rockne grow. But I predict we should really keep our eyes on Caydee and John. They really have meshed fast.
Kudos to the USFSA for having a camera policy printed up on the event website.

Finally, kudos for Peter Carruthers ragging on skaters for bending over, grabbing their ankles, spinning, and showing us their butts.....would you want your daughter doing this? I think we all need yellow sweat shirts with a stick figure of a guy doing a crack-a-toe-ah spin and then
a line drawn through it...at nats, we will be on national TV, Rusty Cap will interview us and we can give Peter a Sweat shirt too.....Keep Krakatoa East of Java!

http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd385/CoyoteChris303/skating/

Last edited:
Great report. You make the whole thing seem very doable. (The only time a big competition was close enough for us to go, my husband got sick and all our ticket and hotel costs went down the drain. There wasn't even time to give them away as I kept hoping he'd get better in time for the Pairs FP... or then the Men's... etc.) I agree about ElGed and Caydee/John. ROFL about Alissa as carry-on and the campaign against butt spins.

claphappy

On the Ice
my friend & i also went to ontario. we decided that, considering its mall and abundance of open fields, it would be a great place for a zombie attack. we also decided that someone should do a zombie program and that s/s would be the best candidates.

feraina

Record Breaker
I was wondering who put up that giant Evan banner! :biggrin:
I don't drink coffee or hot cocoa (both served in the arena), but desperately wanted a hot drink in the very cold rink. Even brought my own tea bags, but they claimed not to have any hot water. :frown:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Spun Silver, how did you loose the hotel costs? None of my business but usually if you cancel 24 hours in advance there is no problem....the tickets I can have sympathy for....my friend John who usually meets up with our rat pack at nats couldnt come last year and it is very hard to sell them ......clap happy, I actually cut across the open field between the LaQuinta and the arena as it was a bit shorter and the vegitation was interesting and quite differnt from my own land near Spokane....the only Zombies I saw were skaters forsaking the shuttle buss and walking to the arena.....I think SkateAmerica Everett WA was about the coldest Arena during practice but this one seemed to have areas of blowing cold air even 10 rows up.....

To be honest, I could be wrong about the hotel charges. What I remember clearly is checking and rechecking the competition schedule and checking and rechecking with hubby to see if he felt better so we could jump in the car and at least see day 2... then day 3.... So if we canceled it was late.

A wretched memory - we would have seen Shen & Zhao.... :cry: But hubby is all better. :)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
If Shen and Zhao were there, I missed them....I would have like to wish her an almost happy birthday. The Zhangs were there.....Good for you not throwing your husband under the buss and staying home instead....I wouldnt have done that but you are a better person than I am! I tell my wife if she dies during Nationals, the Reno Air races, or the Oshkosh Fly-in, she is going on ice till I get back.....she tells me which 35 weekends a year she is attending dog agility events whether I am alive or dead....its a beautiful marriage....:laugh:

I was talking about SA 2009 in Lake Placid. (I'm on the E. Coast and don't yet cross the country for skating.) LOL at the description of your marriage. I'm sure your wife is extra-careful in January and those other times.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Wasn't Lake Placid 2009 great? One of my all time favorite SAs....my wife is never careful:laugh:...she is a driven athlete! Other than the fact that we are both tall, thin, and love and respect one another, we are opposites, which I guess attract. She does enjoy skating when it comes to Spokane, though....we are big AC fans....

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Doris, without a doubt, the new Free dance of Davis and White stood out as "Best Skate." It showed how versitile they are and while for me personally, I think it would be hard to beat the dances of their Olympic season, despite what some folks here think, this performance was very very good. During practice, they had me worried as there were issues in synching the twizzels.....

Since I am a shameless AC fan, and would enjoy seeing her read a phone book, I have to leave her out but her short was great.

Award for most guts.... Pechalat and Bourzat....I just came out of a bronchitis episode and how they did that free dance is beyond me.....
I expected medics to give him oxegen in the kiss and cry.

Award for biggest "rivalry" faceoff skate. The free skates of Alissa and Carolina. Now THATS competition!

Award for biggest Heartbreak....Caroline Zhang's free dance....she practiced beautifully, did a great short, then it was the old Caroline all over again.

Award for making me wish it was January. Cant wait to see all the Americans in January again but especially Denny and Coughlin, Richard Dornbush, and Zack and Madison. And of course you know who.

Honorable mentions....Kirsten and Dylan on their way up! Great work connecting with the crowd.
Elene G. Please do that wonderful Free Skate for me cleanly some time ...you can do it....just remember, if it were easy, they would call it golf.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Thanks Chris! I was wondering whether D&W's FD was as great in the arena as it was on TV. And though flawed, I was surprisingly entertained by their Latin SD (considering how last year I hated almost all of the SD's). I'm sure I will like P&B's Sd, when they are healthy enough to skate it. It was amazing that somehow they got through the whole competition.

Caroline's LP was so sad :cry:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
For me, it wasnt so much a matter of not enjoying THEIR latin SD, for some reason that escapes me, I dont enjoy that dance, so I guess this isnt my season.
I hope Fabian gets well but for me, I had to take Levaquin, an antibiotic so powerful it kills anthrax, to get better, but he cant as there is a good chance any user will rupture a tendon if they aren't careful,
with the achellies tendon being the most ruptured.

There are those unkind fans that call Caroline Zhang the "mule Kicker" and said that they predicted that she would fall apart. But she has my admiration. First time I ever saw a live skating event, I suddenly knew three things. One, I was in love with Angelika Krylova, two, these skating folk are REALLY SMALL PEOPLE ! And three, there was nothing small about their hearts, their courage, and their abilities. She has picked herself up and is trying to do better...maybe she will, maybe she wont, but she is trying.....I wish her the best no matter what course her life takes.....

Chris who won't get out their in HIS tutu

Thanks Chris! I was wondering whether D&W's FD was as great in the arena as it was on TV. And though flawed, I was surprisingly entertained by their Latin SD (considering how last year I hated almost all of the SD's). I'm sure I will like P&B's Sd, when they are healthy enough to skate it. It was amazing that somehow they got through the whole competition.

Caroline's LP was so sad :cry: