Favorite costumes/not so favorite | Golden Skate

Favorite costumes/not so favorite

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Always love to hear the take on the costums, always so witty and funny reading the GS thread threads (pun intended) of past years.

Will start with ladies. Prettiest or not Sp/LP dresses? Feel free to add other disciplines after we do ladies. thanx-love to hear your hones opinions!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Favorites - most of Yuka and Kristi's costumes, Todd E. & Paul W.'s costumes, love Tessa Virtue's "Funny Face" dress, Fumie's "Jupiter" dress (dark blue with silver, some stars (?)...)

least favorite costumes - the "shredded" look, Mike Weiss' "tattoo" shirt (and I do like Mikey as a skater & commentator), the "over the top" ice dancing costumes, Brian Joubert's "1492" costume (the "map" one didn't bother me so much, it was an improvement over the brown one with the rope). On another note, I genuinely was sorry to hear that Brian had to withdraw from the GPS.

Last edited:

emma

Record Breaker
Alissa always has beautiful costumes. I'm in love with her SP dress this season.

Yes and me too!!! I liked Ashley's LP dress as well. If we are talking just this season, I have a lot to see yet :p:p
But, if we are including the past - wow, there's a long list of likes and dislikes. what I'll say about dislikes this years is the Russian woman whose name I forget who skated with pants on. I love when women where pants on many occasions, and I could see how this costume fit the music, but there was just a little something I can't place about this costume, that music, and the choreo that together I just didn't like.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I'll be positive this time:

I liked Carolina Kostner's LP dress at SA; it's a repeat one from the past, and one of her better costumes.

Kiira Korpi and Laura Lepisto (who will hopefully be able to return at some point this season) usually look great, and not just because they're beautiful.

I've liked several of Akiko Suzuki's costumes.

Yu-Na Kim's Bond girl dress was fabulous.

This past weekend, I thought Ashley Wagner had a great dress for the SP.

In other disciplines, focusing on recent years - I love Aliona and Robin's understated costumes for the Pina LP. I really liked Nathalie Pechalat's SD dress last year, she looked stunning. I also thought there were some fantastic costumes for the 2008-9 ODs, with the 20s-30s-40s theme. Don't make me choose one!

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
Yes and me too!!! I liked Ashley's LP dress as well. If we are talking just this season, I have a lot to see yet :p:p
But, if we are including the past - wow, there's a long list of likes and dislikes. what I'll say about dislikes this years is the Russian woman whose name I forget who skated with pants on. I love when women where pants on many occasions, and I could see how this costume fit the music, but there was just a little something I can't place about this costume, that music, and the choreo that together I just didn't like.

I loved Ashley's LP dress too. I generally don't pants on women, but I actually liked them on Alena.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Alissa's pink ssp dress this year is to die for. perfection. And I liked Akiko's pale blue LP dress. Best Color so far on ladies single is the Rachel turquoise. She keeps it simple.

Vash01

Medalist
Am I the only one that hated Alissa's pink costume? It was too pink, like a little girl's and the design on the back instead of the front did her no favors. I loved her purple LP costume though. I liked Rachel's turquoise dress also.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Vash, you hated the sp dress? too pink? noooooooo it was sublime...she has the perfect body but since last year is way too thin for me. I noticed she got scary skinny after switch to Yuka. Yuka never starved herself, or that body was just her natural curves. Alissa is a natural beauty (those teeth, can they be real?) but she needs 5-10 pounds. Training hard makes her skeletal looking so dresses won't hide her bones. What did you think of Ksenia's Marilyn look. I am mixed but tend toward liking it. I don't get Russian costume choices unless we are talking pairs which is often tasteful, but Leonova must not have a mirror. Sorry, but will we ever see her beautifully dressed? Ugh. She needs real help, as she is cute but makeover needed.

If we are talking past skaters, no one impresed me more than Kerrigan as an amateur. Still think her Oly Lp Vera was the best dress ever. Better than all MK dresses put together and MK had a great look nearly every time. MK's best costume-that's a whole thread. Standouts for me were her sexy negligee like Lyra dress-so minimal. I never saw her COI sexier dresses, but liked her Song of the black swan burgundy like dress. Sometimes I wish she had done something flashier or daring in her comp costumes. Like when she cut all her hair off after Nagano. Wish she had gone a little crazy with costumes. I think her 2003 dress LP was the only one I hated. Blue with oatmeal lace on the bodice. Totally boring, not yang enough for her.

Someone else who misses the mark a lot is lovely Caro...hate her new yellow sp dress. LP not too bad. Navy blue or brown should never be worn. Alisa's lp dress-so boring, needs some accent color or feathers/sequins. She is a costumers dream. I admit I hated her dresses last year. One looked like something Yuka would choose.

So far, only one guy has me offended this year, with the animal print leotard-forgot his name-probably a good thing. The guys seem to be going for pants, belts, black. I like that, tho there's not really even any ice dancers to make fun of, except the toilet paper mummy look. Was that the french couple? Gee, I'm blanking here.

So far, I say Alissa has best ladies SP and LP is Ashley Wagner. But I have yet to see Kiira. She's usually stunning.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Am I the only one that hated Alissa's pink costume? It was too pink, like a little girl's and the design on the back instead of the front did her no favors. I loved her purple LP costume though.

You're not the only one. I felt it was pretty princess to the point of looking almost juniorish. I loved her darker, more sophisticated LP dress as well.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Ashley's SP and Alissa's LP dresses were the highlight of the Grand Prix series so far for me. I also liked Haruka's SP dress, Ksenia's SP dress(and the program!), Akiko's LP dress, Mirai's SP dress. The ones I hated were Joshi's LP dress and Ksenia'S LP dress.(too much pink for my taste)

Dragonlady

Final Flight
Meryl Davis' FD dress is gorgeous. The prettiest dress of the season and she looks stunning in it.