Short Dance Cup of China | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Short Dance Cup of China

wallylutz

Medalist
There are 3 judges from former SSRs on the panel, and the Assistant Tech Spec (DURNEV) is Russian. Look at the PCS scores and you can see scores in the 9s from 3 judges for Bobrova/Soloviev. Three judges gave the Shibs PCS scores in the upper 6s and low 7s while the other judges gave the Shibs higher scores than that.

I don't know about the UZB judge, but the Ukrainian judge was/is not a Russian satellite by any definition. This same judge was at the Vancouver Olympics and scored fairly much in line with the majority who had V/M and D/W way ahead of Domnina/Shabalin. The only outlier in that event came from, you guessed it, Alla SHEKHOVTSOVA, the woman who would have an "Open for Business" sign printed on her forehead if elected the head of Ice Dance Technical Committee.

Three judges working together do have the power to affect placements.

Doubtful, the score is an average of 7 scores with 2 of the highest and lowest thrown out (out of 9 judges in this case). One judge gave the Shibs 9 across the board for PCS and if that judge is American, I don't want to be in his position because being cited for national bias is not fun. Even if those 9 are removed as the highest score, such outlier still had an impact (positive) on the Shibs score, allowing another set of above average score to be kept. In this case, it may be useful to look at the median PCS score to get a more meaningful idea for each component if you suspect that the panel may be somewhat polarized (where average score is less meaningful (e.g. (9+6)/2 will produce a number that is neither 9 or 6). Shibs's median score are as follows:

SS: 7.75
LF/M: 7.50
PE: 7.75
CH: 7.75
IN: 7.50

What the median score shows us is that an average, non-partial judge would give the Shibs 7 across the board. But the median score tracks the average score very closely here. If there is anomaly, there isn't evidence supporting such theory.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You are forgetting that not all the scores are counted. Only 8 scores of the 9 are selected, and then the highest and lowest scores are thrown out. So in the end, only 6 scores count. If 3 of those 6 are UKR, UZB and RUS, then you might expect the huge difference in score between B/S and S/S.

wallylutz

Medalist
You are forgetting that not all the scores are counted. Only 8 scores of the 9 are selected, and then the highest and lowest scores are thrown out. So in the end, only 6 scores count. If 3 of those 6 are UKR, UZB and RUS, then you might expect the huge difference in score between B/S and S/S.

Nope, your information is outdated. Starting in the 2010-11 season, the ISU Congress passed a proposal forwarded by Skate Canada that there is no longer a random withdraw of any judges scores of all the judges present. If there are 9 judges present, the average score will contain 7 data points. If there are 8 judges, then the number will be 6, so on so forth.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Shibutani's levels were so way down from the norm. I bet they will get that corrected for the FD and maybe a win is still possible. B/S levels were very good on all elements. I was looking at worlds 2010 and they got level 4 on everything in the FD. They are boring but get levels. Their music was different and not as upbeat.

wallylutz

Medalist
Shibutani's levels were so way down from the norm. I bet they will get that corrected for the FD and maybe a win is still possible. B/S levels were very good on all elements. I was looking at worlds 2010 and they got level 4 on everything in the FD. They are boring but get levels. Their music was different and not as upbeat.

At this point, if Shibs can win the FD, it would already be a vindication. Winning or not overall is secondary. Why? Because if they can convincingly win the FD, then it stands to reason their weakness is only in the SD and therefore, that's what they will focus on. But if they also lost the FD and ended up 10+ points behind the Russians overall, that will be troubling because with a difference of 10+ points, there are still a lot of teams that can be parked in-between this range and it will make you wonder who else could be there.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Please. It is EARLY in the season and a score or placement in early November has little or no bearing on what will happen at Worlds. It is what teams learn from their early outings and how they improve that counts.

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
This was discussed before, the Shibs beat Weaver/Poje at last year's 4CC because W/P crashed & burned in the FD. They led the Shibs going into the FD in fact and would have beaten them if they had simply skated clean even if the skate was otherwise, just average.

There's no "if only"s in skating. :laugh: What happened happened. Teams make mistakes and you can never have known what would have happened otherwise...it's the nature of the sport.

wallylutz

Medalist
Please. It is EARLY in the season and a score or placement in early November has little or no bearing on what will happen at Worlds. It is what teams learn from their early outings and how they improve that counts.

You are free to believe whatever you feel like. There are examples of both, a team can do poorly in GP and do well later or another team (e.g. Belbin/Agosto) got their writing on the wall starting from their final year on the GP circuit, leading them to lose in U.S. Nationals against D/W who had an outstanding GP season, and then missed out the Olympic podium.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
You are free to believe whatever you feel like. There are examples of both, a team can do poorly in GP and do well later or another team (e.g. Belbin/Agosto) got their writing on the wall starting from their final year on the GP circuit, leading them to lose in U.S. Nationals against D/W who had an outstanding GP season, and then missed out the Olympic podium.

There was quite a bit of chatter, I recall, that B/A got the short end of the stick because their coaches put more focus on DomShabs. I don't think the Shibs are in the same position, despite the fact that they have a million teammates (or it seems that way, anyway).

I would like to clarify that I don't blindly think the Shibs is a secure No. 3. But I see their true competition being C/L, P/B and W/P, ultimately. I think B/S and I/K can also fall in this group -- if they are not so sloppy. I have been less than impressed by their technique thus far (i.e. watching Russian previews and this competition).

ETA: I know B/S is in first and heck may win this -- but if they don't improve the sloppiness, I'm not sure if their scores will improve much further.

wallylutz

Medalist
There was quite a bit of chatter, I recall, that B/A got the short end of the stick because their coaches put more focus on DomShabs. I don't think the Shibs are in the same position, despite the fact that they have a million teammates (or it seems that way, anyway).

I didn't buy that. DomShabs didn't do terribly well even if they had all their coaches' attention. B/A had some real issues with their material. Plus, Zueva/Shpilband have no trouble managing the top 2 teams of the world for the last 2 years, which further put that divided focus theory in doubt.

I would like to clarify that I don't blindly think the Shibs is a secure No. 3. But I see their true competition being C/L, P/B and W/P, ultimately. I think B/S and I/K can also fall in this group -- if they are not so sloppy. I have been less than impressed by their technique thus far (i.e. watching Russian previews and this competition).

On the substance of the skate, I tend to agree that B/S's SD in Shanghai left me lukewarm regarding their composition, interpretation and the precision of their technique. What should also be considered in Ice Dance is an analysis of the "off ice push". The United States traditionally spend very little of its political capital in support of its ice dance teams. Whatever political clout the USFS has, it is spent to on ladies and ladies alone. USFS only cares about finding and building the next Michelle Kwan because then, all their financial woes will magically disappear. Some could argue Alissa's win at Skate America was an evidence of that. The USFS will obviously support and continue to support D/W but it is going to be hard for them to push both teams at the same time because there are other countries like France, Russia and Italy who are simply more hungry about Ice Dance than the U.S. will ever be.

On paper, B/S have been somewhat flat in the last two years. Their 2010 OD remained my favorite program from them - but being the top team from Russia is and always will be a tremendous advantage. Russia is throwing all their resources for Sochi 2014 and don't think for a second they are satisfied with just a Bronze medal in Sochi. Without a doubt, they are aiming for Gold. So the way I look at these marks based on the actual skate put out there, I don't question them finishing 1st here in the SD - what I find curious is that it seems the foundation is being set to push B/S further up. Therefore, you ought to include B/S in that group fighting for Bronze at Worlds this year. To do any otherwise is to ignore the reality of Ice Dance world.

ETA: I know B/S is in first and heck may win this -- but if they don't improve the sloppiness, I'm not sure if their scores will improve much further.

In an ideal world, that's true. Being the #1 Russian team however changes the formula quite a bit however.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
B/S at their best aren't any too good. If you're saying it's OK for them to become Olympic champions because Russia wants it badly, then you can't possibly be a real ice dance fan. In my book, it sucks when a federation manages somehow to stack judging panels with Russian supporters so as to ensure that the Russian #1 becomes World and/or Olympic #1.

Why overhaul a judging system if the end result is the same as what we had under 6.0?

wallylutz

Medalist
B/S at their best aren't any too good. If you're saying it's OK for them to become Olympic champions because Russia wants it badly, then you can't possibly be a real ice dance fan. In my book, it sucks when a federation manages somehow to stack judging panels with Russian supporters so as to ensure that the Russian #1 becomes World and/or Olympic #1.

Why overhaul a judging system if the end result is the same as what we had under 6.0?

That's not at all what I said. Please don't put words in my mouth. In this world, there is ideal and there is reality. Judging system is a tool, and a tool can be improved, more efficient, accurate, fair and less error-prone. To this end, Ice Dance has greatly benefited from CoP, much more so than Singles and Pairs. The reality is, Figure Skating - all four of its disciplines are big "businesses" in Russia. Skaters are more like employees than athletes and their career are taken care off largely by the State. For the State to protect its investments, they will do whatever they can. Is there way to shield the sport 100% against that? Unfortunately, the answer is no. I didn't choose to make a prediction only in Ice Dance at Cup of China for no good reason and picking B/S to be the winner. Please note, I am using Russia an example. By no means does this imply they are the only ones who are influential off the ice. I am probably spilling too many beans already so if I offend the feelings of anyone re: Ice Dance, I apologize, feel free to ignore what I just shared.

Last edited:

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
^ Great! What's the point of working hard when the outcome is largely fixed? :disapp:
And what's the point of staying up late and watching figure skating when the outcome is largely fixed?..:rolleye:

wallylutz

Medalist
^ Great! What's the point of working hard when the outcome is largely fixed? :disapp:
And what's the point of staying up late and watching figure skating when the outcome is largely fixed?..:rolleye:

I think you misunderstood. The Shibs clearly have issues in their SD and many of those have been rightfully pointed out already. Their score isn't unfair and all you have to do is to watch them next week at the NHK Trophy, it would be a shock if their score moves too much although it could improve a little bit. B/S score is, well, you could say a little high for what they did. Then again, they will need to be in Top 3 this year, at least top 4th in order to set up properly for Sochi. This is just my own impression looking at these numbers, I get this feeling the huge margin of a wooping 8 points is a sign that B/S are being pushed for the top. This doesn't mean there is any irregularity in the event but one way to make sense of these numbers, as is often the case when looking at Ice Dance, is to consider what's not actually on the ice. Then again, a stumble here, an error there could really change the outcome. Fact is, despite their best intentions, B/S only managed 6th at 2011 Worlds in Russia because they didn't skate up to their potential. Same thing goes for the 2nd rank Russian team, I/K, who dropped after the FD because it was obvious they didn't skate well.

alithia

Final Flight
But doesn't this happen every time a team is on the rise?For different reasons?It hapenned with V/M as well,whether people admit it or not,Vancouver helped a lot to "speed up" their results a little bit.The same applies when people are so happy that P/B are going to medal because Worlds is in France,without realising that they unintentionally accept the notion of "home advantage".

The Shibs had almost the same score at Finlandia as well,so the issues were evident back then.It wasn't as big a surprise.B/S scored where they have stopped last year.If they didn't have issues again I could see them somewhere around 67-68 which they will probably get next time if they skate clean.But it was a signal,and they're not the only team that has been pushed.Most top teams get pushed at a point in their careers.D/W as good as they are,clearly got pushed for the top after their showing at 2009 Worlds.And they replaced B/A probably because their judges thought they were more of certain lock for a medal. V/M took the exact same medal D/L got a year ago,in 2008,they actually completely replaced their retired team mates.Didn't they deserve it?

The only reason I didn't vote at the poll was from fear to be laughed at for voting for B/S.Although the Shibs can win tomorrow and then everyone will be happy.
What always amuses me at competitions is the way coaches promote their ice dancers.It's one of the things that I love about the sport.

missysays

On the Ice
I think the Shibs are in a position very similar to D/W in their second year at the senior level. D/W came in and placed an amazing (at the time) 7th at the 2007 worlds in their senior debut but the very next year in their first competition (Skate America) they were passed by teams they had beaten in the previous year's worlds and didn't even medal at that GP. They fought back all year long and finally managed to hold their standing against Pechalat and Bourzat and the Kerrs but were surpassed by Khok/Novitski at Worlds in 2008. They really stepped up the ante the following year in 2009 to become one of the undeniable forerunners but it took that growing year in 2008 to learn what mature skating and competitive skating at that level was all about. I think this is one of those years for the Shibs. They're going to lose their placing against some of the teams they beat last year because they're still growing and vulnerable but if they really hold steady and fight and learn through this cycle. They can surge ahead again when it counts. But they're gonna have to work for it. The SD I saw last night was sharper than Finlandia - stronger and cleaner in their lines and presence than D/W were at their age. But they're going to need to learn to cover the ice and take command of the arena and that's a special kind of presentation that will only come with practice and age. I think they'll get there. They're already way ahead of where D/W were at the same age. They may not win this GP but they're not done yet.

bladz123

Rinkside
yikes, its a latin year !

OK, latin is difficult. It is one of those that you cant fake. You either have it, or you dont. I love this Russian team and everything about them. Thier coaches turn everything to gold. They are in the top three coaching teams in the world along with C and A and team at DSC and S and Z in Canton. This is the top group of coaches with the best stable of skaters but this program is not good, shibs no better. From what we have seen so far in this early
season review only T and S, W and P and the Italians have really grabbed the theme and run with it. The rest, yuck. D and W might be the strongest, fastest team in the world but really Charlie stop pumping arms fake latin movements. This team today, yikes! I think they will be third in the world based on the fact they are Russia number 1 and they are very, very good. The cheaters will have to get them over both Canada 2, Italy 1 (both better at the latin theme) and France 1 (also not so good at latin) with smoke and mirrors but lets not kid ourselves it will happen. I hope they rock the house with a free dance to remember because they are capable. Ice Dance, got to love it!

KKonas

Medalist
I don't think anyone thinks the Shibs are "done." They are too good, but others are hungrier this year. Pechalat & Bourzat skating at home (Nice) for Worlds have good material and are looking determined. B&S certainly are in the mix for bronze as well as Weaver & Poje, and I&K, but all tend to be mistake prone, so we will just have to wait and see how it all winds up. It should be exciting.