Short Dance Cup of China | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Short Dance Cup of China

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think the Shibs are in a position very similar to D/W in their second year at the senior level. D/W came in and placed an amazing (at the time) 7th at the 2007 worlds in their senior debut but the very next year in their first competition (Skate America) they were passed by teams they had beaten in the previous year's worlds and didn't even medal at that GP. They fought back all year long and finally managed to hold their standing against Pechalat and Bourzat and the Kerrs but were surpassed by Khok/Novitski at Worlds in 2008. They really stepped up the ante the following year in 2009 to become one of the undeniable forerunners but it took that growing year in 2008 to learn what mature skating and competitive skating at that level was all about. I think this is one of those years for the Shibs. They're going to lose their placing against some of the teams they beat last year because they're still growing and vulnerable but if they really hold steady and fight and learn through this cycle. They can surge ahead again when it counts. But they're gonna have to work for it. The SD I saw last night was sharper than Finlandia - stronger and cleaner in their lines and presence than D/W were at their age. But they're going to need to learn to cover the ice and take command of the arena and that's a special kind of presentation that will only come with practice and age. I think they'll get there. They're already way ahead of where D/W were at the same age. They may not win this GP but they're not done yet.

Good thoughts. And I think the one thing the Shibs have going for them is that they have had a long and solid partnership. They have been together since the spring of 2004, when Maia was 10 and Alex was 13. They have gone through growth spurts (particularly Maia), a difficult final junior season (finishing out of medals at JW) and many other transitions. I think everyone forgets that while they're young -- they have been together for 7 years. That's a relatively solid period of time.

Maia and Alex definitely were not happy with that SD, so I'd expect them to train while they're abroad and try to work on getting those levels up for NHK.

bladz123

Rinkside
maybe....?

off year for shibs, they tend to do that, they will be 7th or 8th at worlds...the dance gods have so said. 1 and 2 are obvious (I have an opinion) 3 is probably Russia 1 then France 1 followed by Canada 2, Italy 1 and Russia 2 in whatever order then the Shibs...but you are correct errors in these teams seem common place....

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
off year for shibs, they tend to do that, they will be 7th or 8th at worlds...the dance gods have so said. 1 and 2 are obvious (I have an opinion) 3 is probably Russia 1 then France 1 followed by Canada 2, Italy 1 and Russia 2 in whatever order then the Shibs...but you are correct errors in these teams seem common place....

As I said earlier, my personal thoughts that C/L, P/B and W/P will give the Shibs a run for the podium. B/S, as Wally said, may get some influence up there, but I don't think they deserve to be up there. They have good speed, but the bad posture, the lack of crisp moves and just the packaging drive me crazy with this SD. I/K need to change that SD pronto -- not a good idea to skate to the same music as the Olympic Gold medalists.

So by my logic, the Shibs could finish anywhere between 3rd and 6th. I don't see them getting out of the final group.

Last edited:

wallylutz

Medalist
I don't think anyone thinks the Shibs are "done." They are too good, but others are hungrier this year. Pechalat & Bourzat skating at home (Nice) for Worlds have good material and are looking determined. B&S certainly are in the mix for bronze as well as Weaver & Poje, and I&K, but all tend to be mistake prone, so we will just have to wait and see how it all winds up. It should be exciting.

I agree. The Shibs have tremendous potential. Right now, their age worked against them but ironically, unlike for most other skaters, it's because they are too young. No one knows what the future holds but assuming everything goes as planned and they continue to work hard and improve, depending on what happens to D/W down the road, it can be expected that they will eventually become the #1 team in the U.S. and more. This year and next could prove to be challenging however, a lot of experienced and veteran teams are still around - which is different compared to when V/M and D/W were rising at this juncture at the last Olympic cycle where a lot of veteran teams retired, leaving only a few older teams like Domnina/Shabalin and Delobel/Scheonfelder.

wallylutz

Medalist
I think the Shibs are in a position very similar to D/W in their second year at the senior level. D/W came in and placed an amazing (at the time) 7th at the 2007 worlds in their senior debut but the very next year in their first competition (Skate America) they were passed by teams they had beaten in the previous year's worlds and didn't even medal at that GP. They fought back all year long and finally managed to hold their standing against Pechalat and Bourzat and the Kerrs but were surpassed by Khok/Novitski at Worlds in 2008. They really stepped up the ante the following year in 2009 to become one of the undeniable forerunners but it took that growing year in 2008 to learn what mature skating and competitive skating at that level was all about. I think this is one of those years for the Shibs. They're going to lose their placing against some of the teams they beat last year because they're still growing and vulnerable but if they really hold steady and fight and learn through this cycle. They can surge ahead again when it counts. But they're gonna have to work for it. The SD I saw last night was sharper than Finlandia - stronger and cleaner in their lines and presence than D/W were at their age. But they're going to need to learn to cover the ice and take command of the arena and that's a special kind of presentation that will only come with practice and age. I think they'll get there. They're already way ahead of where D/W were at the same age. They may not win this GP but they're not done yet.

Well said, I agree. It's important to keep expectations in check, hence I said earlier, don't expect them to win overall here - instead, set a more realistic goal like win the FD convincingly. That itself would bring tremendous amount of vindication so that they signal to the world that they can still be up there if they just improve their SD. But be also prepared that they could lost their placement in the world this year, there are just too many very hungry and more veteran teams who want their World medalist placement and all of them, very well connected politically. Anyone wondered the retirement of Faiella/Scali seemed to give C/L an instant boost? Again, who is now the top Italian team? When V/M were out on injuries, the 2nd rank Canadian team by default became the leading team from Canada, and received boost that led to great success on the GP circuit, including winning Skate Canada Int'l and win a medal at GPF. After V/M came back, they immediately deflated. Ice Dance will always be...Ice Dance, with two sides to the same coin, so long as it is justifiable.

Tex

On the Ice
Evan and Madison have been together longer than Emily and Todd, so of course they're going to be better. Emily and Todd just need more time.

Very true. Evan and Madison have been together since June and Madison and Zachary have been together since May and every little bit of time counts.

Here's Emily's quote from the Goldenskate recap of the SD: We tried out in the middle of August in Lake Placid and we continued sort of training by ourselves until the end of August,” Samuelson shared. “Then we went to Colorado to get choreography. [B]We’ve been training these programs for about a month[/B]. The progress that we’ve made I can even feel myself is tremendous in the short time we’ve been working. We’re actually excited to have some more time to train.”

Those comments people are making about Emily's weight are beyond tacky and seriously irresponsible.

On a side note, she had a gorgeous gold dress on during practice, so that would have fit this SD much better. I'm anxious to see how this team continues to improve.

Nadine

Record Breaker
I gotta tell you I was totally disappointed in their SD yesterday b/c I had such HIGH expectations coming in.

It's no joke that Emily & Evan were my favorite ice dance team since Marina Anissina & Gwendal Peizerat retired after winning the gold medal in 2002, and since then I haven't bothered to watch. That is until Emily&Evan entered US Senior Nationals in 2008.

So I was devastated when I heard they broke up last Spring. Reminiscent of when Marina's partner dropped her out of the blue (sucker punch) and she searched high & low for a new partner, finally finding one in France. Anyhow, this reminded me of the same scenario, and therefore I was expecting to see Emily show up at COC "cut" and ready to blow everybody out of the water, lol, so I said what I felt, thought, and saw.

And I still feel the same way.

Though I've calmed down since then, especially after seeing their FABULOUS FD. :cool:

Now I see they just need time, and PRACTICE, Practice, practice! :)

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EMILY & TODD!!!!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
That SD of S&G's is such a mistake; they should scrap it before Nationals, before it does them any more harm.

I like the choreo on the FD a lot, but it needs work too, as 3 extended lift deductions is not a good thing. But that's one program from CoC that I want to see again.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Emily's forward progress has obviously been hurt by being away for a season. Now at least she's happy with a new partner, and it will take time to grow together, define who they are together on the ice and find the right music and choreo to express that. S/S and the Russians B/S are obviously the class of this field.

ETA: I think S/S have been kept down in the marks a bit.

Last edited:

Tex

On the Ice
Emily's forward progress has obviously been hurt by being away for a season. Now at least she's happy with a new partner, and it will take time to grow together, define who they are together on the ice and find the right music and choreo to express that.

At first viewing, I did not like their SD but a big part of that was the audio or lack of audio. Now, I like their SD but not as much as their FD. I applaud them for chosing something totatlly different, and I will take Goldfinger over another J.Lo, Mark Anthony, Shakira, etc. in this years SD.

For improvements, I suggest she get a better dress that fits the song and dance style. Plus, they need some more samba and mambo moves in the dance, but for 8 weeks, this program is still a big work in progress. Of course much more practice will help.

I am smitten by this team and just the happiest camper to see them both skating again!!!!

The scoring/results of Cup of China might not have been what they wished for, but hopefully this Cup of China experience lights a fire under them to continue to improve exponentially.