PJ Kwong's All-Time Top 10 Ladies | Page 5 | Golden Skate

PJ Kwong's All-Time Top 10 Ladies

Thanks for all the historical perspective and links, jcoates.

And a double(?) salchow in the opposite direction, ~2:54.

I think the point of some of this discussion is that Canadians are just as likely to remember Karen Magnussen because she was a big part of the Canadian skating narrative of the era. Not so much in the US narrative. Especially considering that Dick Button, who did the most to shape that US narrative, was married to Janet's coach for several years shortly after Janet retired from competition.

Of course her skating deserved the acclamation. But the focus of the historical narrative changes depending on who's writing the history. I wonder what it looked like in the Austrian media. :)

I didn't mean so much that people worldwide remember Janet above skaters from their own countries. But Americans, for example, don't know much about Julie Lynn Holmes, another accomplished American skater from that era. Most Americans don't remember JoJo Starbuck as a singles skater from the early seventies. (She also skated pairs and might be better known for that.) The one we primarily think of as our landmark skater from that time is Janet.

In terms of whether her fame endures only locally, I'd like to point out that the Japanese still admire Janet, and I suspect she influenced several of their more recent skaters, such as Yuka Sato. Additionally, Canadian Toller Cranston praised Lynn as one of the greatest female skaters ever. I'm just mentioning these examples to show that admiration of Janet Lynn isn't completely parochial. I'm sure you're right that the Austrians wrote far more about Trixi Schuba than Lynn, of course. It would be only natural.

I would be curious as to how an Austrian skate fan of today would work up a top ten list. Anyone here from Austria?

A double salchow in the opposite direction! Holy hat!

Last edited:

jcoates

Medalist
Olympia makes a good point about that era in general. Looking back, I think that 69-73 period is the one in skating that I research the most vigorously. That's due mostly to the fact that much of the video from that time has been lost or not posted to youtube (except vids of Janet). It took me years to find a video of a full program by Ondrej Nepela. He's a sadly forgotten Olympic champ, in part due to his untimely death. He was very strong at figures, but unlike Schuba, was a very solid yet unspectacular free skater. He did not always win the LP in part because he was skating in an era when many of the top men were strong free skaters who often jockeyed for position. He was runner up to Tim Wood, the 2 time World champ and 68 Olympic silver medalist from the States in 69 and 70. When Tim retired to complete his education, Ondrej rose to the top to win three worlds and the 72 Olympics.

You also had John Misha Petkevich (this is not his best skate, but all I could find), who was in many ways the male Janet Lynn of his time. A spectacular, but inconsistent free skater who could not gain ground in figures. He opened the door for later skaters like Cranston and Curry to explore their presentation. Dick Button was very fond of him and often acted as a mentor to him. To this day, I've never seen a more thrilling death drop, not even by Boitano. Ken Shelley (Jo Jo Starbuck's pairs partner) who won 3 US pairs titles, also accomplished an upset win for the singles title in 72, which he rode to a 4th place finish in Sapporo. JoJo and Ken were coached by John Nicks (one of the finest teachers of basic skating skills ever) and were in many ways the precursor pair to Tai and Randy. They were a beautiful pair physically, strong singles skaters and quite lyrical. Ken was also a super free skater in singles and a wonderful spinner. (BTW, here's an early pairs SP from the days when only pairs did SPs.) The third American man that year was Gordy McKellan, a fine free skater in his own right, while the third woman was Suna Murray, who beat out a young Dorothy Hamill for the final spot.

Fine skaters also were around in pairs and dance. Much like the men's and women's disciplines, dance also saw dominant skaters retire mid-cycle. In that case, the team was Diane Towler and Bernard Ford. They were the Torvill and Dean of their day. Completely unbeatable and four time world champs (66-69). Their retirement opened the door for the Russian dominance with which we are all so familiar.

Forgotten over the years is how competitive the US was in ice dance during that time. Judy Schwomeyer and Jim Sladky won multiple 5 US titles and 4 world medals, including a very controversial silver behind Pakhomova and Gorshkov. Today all they are really remembered for is creating the Yankee Polka, CD. But they were very fine skaters with wonderful flowing edges and crisp movement over the ice. Had dance been in the Olympics during their time, they likely would have won a medal.

Lastly in pairs, in the shadows of Rodnina and Ulanov, innovative young pairs were pushing technical boundaries now very familiar to us. One such team was Melissa and Mark Militano. They made daring attempts at throws and side by side jumps and appeared much more like a "modern" pair than their contemporaries.

Skating really blossomed during that period and laid the foundation for the spectacular 70s performances that came later.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
My top 10 list:

1. Yu-Na Kim
2. Carol Heiss
3. Katarina Witt
4. Shizuka Arakawa
5. Dorothy Hamill
6. Peggy Fleming
7. Oksana Baiul
8. Karen Magnussen
9. Janet Lynn
10. Michelle Kwan

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
The fact Sarah Hughes is on that list is just weird. How can she make an "All-Time" list when all she did was have a good skate on a night when everyone else was off? If we're talking "All-Time Luckiest" skaters, then she's near the top. But to put her over Michelle Kwan (the most decorated skater in recent history) and Sonja Henie (the 10-time world champ) is just plain stupid...no Peggy, no Janet, no Mao, no Midori...this list needs some work....:unsure:

prettykeys

Medalist
The fact Sarah Hughes is on that list is just weird. How can she make an "All-Time" list when all she did was have a good skate on a night when everyone else was off? If we're talking "All-Time Luckiest" skaters, then she's near the top. But to put her over Michelle Kwan (the most decorated skater in recent history) and Sonja Henie (the 10-time world champ) is just plain stupid...no Peggy, no Janet, no Mao, no Midori...this list needs some work....:unsure:
Midori Ito is on the list

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I always wondered why Seyfert retired after the 1970 Worlds. All indications were on her to win the 1972 Olympic Gold. Her figures were strong enough to be able to quite easily pass Schuba with vastly superior free skating. It was sad she wasnt able to skate as a pro, and then her coaching career was basically ended by one of her top pupils being handed over by the government to her own mom (and former coach) Juetta Muller. What a star she might have been if she were born a different time.