PJ Kwong's All-Time Top 10 Ladies | Page 2 | Golden Skate

PJ Kwong's All-Time Top 10 Ladies

gkelly

Record Breaker
Well, she does say "CBCSports.ca challenged me to come up with a list of who I'd choose to skate in a fantasy competition between the 10 best of all time in each of the four disciplines.

To make it even tougher, I've ranked the skaters in order of how they'd finish in this magical event if I were the sole judge."

So from that point of view it can be a purely personal list of who she personally would want to see skate against each other and we don't have to take it as some kind of universal list.

But it is interesting how much our perceptions of skating history are influenced by the media through which we experienced or learned about it after the fact.

KKonas

Medalist
The American ignorance about Canadian women is interesting to me, though. My skating knowledge goes back to about the mid-1970s, with sparks from earlier skaters (mainly Fleming and Lynn), and I know absolutely nothing about Petra Burka except for her name, and I've also never seen Magnussen skate. I should hunt them up on YouTube. Was Karen Magnussen really a greater artistic skater than Janet Lynn? I know that several Japanese skaters revere Janet Lynn, but I've never heard of Magnussen's having any influence outside of Canada. I'm not arguing, just asking for more information.

Magnussen won Olympic silver in 1972 and world silver that same year and Janet Lynn won Olympic and world bronze. Magnussen also won the world title in 1973 and Lynn won silver. As to whether Magnussen was more artistic than Lynn, that's questionable.

I think Dragonlady's and GKelly's view is the right one. These are the skater's that P.J. Kwong most admired personally.

It is hard to think of any criterion for "all-time best" that everyone would agree on. If it is "influence on the sport" then no modern skater would have a chance against the pioneers.

1. Madge Sayers. By winning the silver medal at the 1902 Men's Worlds Championship she established the principle that competitive figure skating is a sport for women, too.

2. Sonia Henie. Brought figure skating to Holiwood, transforming it from an obscure Teutonic recreational pastime to a big whoop on the world stage.

For the men, there would be no rival to Jackson Haines.

What about total body of work? Each skater submits tapes of her ten greatest performances to be juried. Well, that eliminates the old-timers (no tapes), and it also lets out the middle-timers, who competed only twice a year and whose careers lasted only from age 16 up until the next Olympics, and it disqualifies the one-day wonders as well. Could anyone beat Michelle Kwan by this standard?

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
What about total body of work? Each skater submits tapes of her ten greatest performances to be juried. Well, that eliminates the old-timers, and it also lets out the middle-timers, who competed only twice a year and whose careers lasted only from age 16 up until the next Olympics, and it disqualifies the one-day wonders as well. Could anyone beat Michelle Kwan by this standard?

Depends who's doing the voting and what their standards are.

If you took a vote among a large number of US fans now or in the near future, I think Kwan would be the favorite. Restrict your voting pool to Japanese fans, for example, and you might get a different result.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
Magnussen won Olympic silver in 1972 and world silver that same year and Janet Lynn won Olympic and world bronze. Magnussen also won the world title in 1973 and Lynn won silver. As to whether Magnussen was more artistic than Lynn, that's questionable.

Magnussen was more athletic than artistic.

I also note that the title of the list is "P.J. Kwong's Top 10 List". She doesn't pretend to be doing THE definitive list of all time. I think it would be interesting to see who we would put on our own personal lists. Mine would not include Katt Witt. I thought she was technically weak and won on intimidation and by flirting with the judges. YMMV.

seniorita

Record Breaker
1. Madge Sayers. By winning the silver medal at the 1902 Men's Worlds Championship she established the principle that competitive figure skating is a sport for women, too.

Did she pretend to be a guy? I dont know the story.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
To Mathman's great ladies of the past, I'd add Tenley Albright and Cecilia Colledge.

KKonas

Medalist
Well Carol Heiss was no slouch with 5 world titles (1956-60) and Olympic gold in 1960. Olympic silver in 1956. She would make my list.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Well Carol Heiss was no slouch with 5 world titles (1956-60) and Olympic gold in 1960. Olympic silver in 1956. She would make my list.

Not to mention, she was the first lady to the double axel.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No Janet Lynn or Carol Heiss or even Tara? Looking at the list you would think it was Canada that has won 7 OGM's in Ladies not the US. Elizabeth Manley and Sarah Hughes? Two one hit wonders made the list. :unsure:

KKonas

Medalist
Did she pretend to be a guy? I dont know the story.

Madge Syers entered the 1902 Worlds, which had no ladies event, but no rules against women entering the men's event and finished second to Ulrich Salchow. In 1903 the ISU Congress barred women from competing against men, but in 1906, it created a separate Ladies event, called "Ladies Championship of the ISU," which Syers won for three consecutive years. She was inducted into the World Figure Skating Hall of Fame in 1981. She died of heart failure in 1917 at the age of 35.

KKonas

Medalist
Cecilia Colledge is credited as the inventor of the layback and camel spins. She was also the first woman to land a double jump (Salchow) in competition at the 1936 European Championships. She won three European titles (1937-39) and won the Olympic silver medal in 1936. She won the World title in 1937. Although she represented Great Britain, she lived and taught skating for many years in Boston and was inducted into the World Figure Skating Hall of Fame in 1980.

prettykeys

Medalist
Kwan >>> Hughes.
Yes. PJ's list is weird, although she's entitled to her list as anyone else is entitled to theirs.

I'm not very familiar with most skaters who were known before I was born, but I really do like Cecilia Colledge. (Just commenting on her, not necessarily saying she's in my Top 10)

russell30

Final Flight
Maybe:

1) YuNa Kim
2) Sonja Henie
3) Michelle Kwan
4) Katarina Witt
5) Irina Slutskaya
6) Shizuka Arakawa
7) Midori Ito
8) Miki Ando
9) Mao Asada
10) Tara Lipinski

(I know most of them are modern day)

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Hughes higher than Kwan, Lynn, Ito, Henjie, Yamaguchi, Fleming, Slutskaya and others. Hilarious. Even Lipinski and Bauil are much better than Hughes.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
My list:

1. Michelle Kwan
2. Midori Ito
3. Janet Lynn
4. Katarina Witt
5. Sonja Henjie
6. Yu Na Kim
7. Kristi Yamaguchi
8. Irina Slutskaya
9. Dorothy Hamill