Ladies Short Program | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Ladies Short Program

gmyers

Record Breaker
Last seasons JGP was summer-fall of 2010 so maybe it doesn't seem like last season but Sotnikova is not a constant flutzer. Too bad she fell. Maybe she'll do her 3/3 in the LP.

LeCygne

Final Flight
Mirai looked very slow and cautious today. Perhaps she was concentrating on landing the jumps, but the performance was not there at all. I'm glad she was clean, but I'm not sure that deserved 60+ points... It does go to show that the judges are still willing to reward her when she's clean. She's about even with Carolina, but I don't think she can pull off a win with the LP that she has. I think Carolina's got this one... Random but Carolina seems to have three GP events?? She's on the entry list for Trophee Eric Bompard as well.

The Eurosport guys were absolutely raving about Mirai. I thought she was fine but not exciting. I'll take it! There wasn't much zing but also no mistakes. As for Carolina having it in the bag, maybe, maybe not. You really never know in this sport. Wait till the fat lady sings (skates?).

LeCygne

Final Flight
Mirai is such a hot and cold skater, it's almost like two completely different people. She can be absolutely brilliant when she's on or fall absolutely flat when she's not. =/ It's such a shame because once you see what she's capable of, you want that all the time. Hope she has a good long tomorrow. As for Carolina, she'll win if she's even remotely clean. And she seems to be in a good place so far, so I wouldn't be surprised if she does do well. Curious to see how Adelina and Christina Gao do as well.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Mirai looked very slow and cautious today. Perhaps she was concentrating on landing the jumps, but the performance was not there at all. I'm glad she was clean, but I'm not sure that deserved 60+ points... It does go to show that the judges are still willing to reward her when she's clean. She's about even with Carolina, but I don't think she can pull off a win with the LP that she has. I think Carolina's got this one... Random but Carolina seems to have three GP events?? She's on the entry list for Trophee Eric Bompard as well.

Kostner chose to do three GPs which was allowed for the first time in many years.

icellist

On the Ice
i felt that mirai was cautious in the beginning. then she got really into it. but sort of lost control on the step sequence and lost her timing to the music, and brought it together at the end. she was still exciting to see for me. but the edge call on her lutz was sort of questionable. does anybody have a better angle of her jump? Why was her step sequence only level 2? I preferred her SP with a circular step sequence, I think she used that version for Glacier Falls. Hoping that not having the lead will lead to a great FS. Though her long program is not as good as Carolina's, I'm secretly hoping that Carolina has a fall and Mirai swoops into gold, and still have a chance for the final. Not giving up hope on her.

i hate adelina's costume. her music choices are very iconic. i think she will be hit in PCS hard in the future unless she starts choosing different pieces. Her skating has to stand out for the music to make a mark because everyone knows the music already. I agree that she looked rather sloppy/clumsy. I think Elizaveta is very lucky that she's been overshadowed by Adelina all these years, because Adelina has all the pressure and Liza can just skate. But i always thought Elizaveta was better than Adelina. Adelina had the 3L combo. but all the russian girls need to get rid of their ugly diamond-bielmann spin from their camel/donut spin. it's fugly...

Carolina had a wonderful skate except for the hand down on the loop. Her music choice certainly is different and i like it. She should change the end to her SP, it leaves the program unfinished to me. But, lovely footwork and edges. The spins looked good. should do well in the LP.

Kexin was a pleasant surprise, not many non-european girls do a 3T-3T. Her's was magnificent.
Christina :disapp:

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I do think Adelina was a bit nervous. She landed and rotated the lutz; she just got too far back on her edge as she went for the 3lp and it slipped. She usually skates a bit more confidently than that; and she did seem a bit shaky. I think the debut pressure is gone now; she's got nothing to lose at this point so I'm hoping she comes out strong in the FS. Adelina's program isn't great at all, but I'm fairly certain she's capable of winning based on her TES alone. If she lands the 3lz-3lp and her 2a-3t, she has a great chance of leapfrogging both Mirai and Carolina in the standings. I'm not convinced that she is out of the running for gold yet.

volk

Final Flight
Protocals:

Carolina: Was marked appropriately for the bad 3L -1.40 GOE, other postiive GOE for everything else. She held on the levels for her spins this time (2 level 4 1 level three).
Mirai: Edge call on the Lutz (why doesn't she do a flip instead?) and level two on footwork; otherwise positive GOE on everything else
Adelina: Edge call on the Lutz, -3 GOE across the board +-1 deducation for the fall---otherwise solid on everything else.
Kanako - UR on the second 3T in combo, DG on 3Loop, level 2 on footwork, but solid everywhere else
Kexin - What a nice surprise. She got solid GOE on everything except the Lutz (where she put her hand down) two level four spins, one level three spin, and level three footwork.
Bingwa - Just one -1 GOE from one judge on the 3T. Good work; level two on footwoork (man the judges are really harsh on the levels there today!)
Valetina - negative GOE on the 3Z-2T, level two footwork and flying sit spin.
Christina- 2A -3 GOE/-1 deducation, edge call on the lutz, level two on footwork ; positive GOE on everything outside the 2A/3Z
Ksenia - DG on 3L, -3 on non-combo combo. But she had solid levels on everything else---when skated clena this program will score well.
Qiuying - UR on 3S and 3T on 3T-2T combo, level one on two spins and footwork.

How did Kanako get level 2 on footwork? I'm not expert, but she did much better than that. Even the commentator liked it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZmHMqUbvXc

She should've been ahead of Adelina

LeCygne

Final Flight
Adelina's program isn't great at all, but I'm fairly certain she's capable of winning based on her TES alone. If she lands the 3lz-3lp and her 2a-3t, she has a great chance of leapfrogging both Mirai and Carolina in the standings. I'm not convinced that she is out of the running for gold yet.

I don't think you can win on TES alone these days.. Liza didn't even win the FS in Canada despite a clean 6-triple program with a perfect 3-3. She won based on her lead in the short, and Adelina is more than 8 points off the lead right now. Even though her 2a-3t is amazing, but I am doubtful she'll get her 3-3 ratified without a flutz and/or underrotations.. Plus she was ranked 6th in PCS in the short, behind Ksenia Makarova and Valentina Marchei. It's not over until it's over, but I'd say Adelina's chances for gold aren't great this time around.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mirai doesn't seem to be able to just let it go and skate. She seems to worry so much about her jumps its kills her speed and she looks so cautious that it ruins her programs. Everything feels so clinical and not free and easy. If only she could put it all together. Getting in top shape might help. Only time i've seen her skate with confidence and speed was at 4CC in her LP. She didn't seem to be thinking about what she had to do she just went out and skated. She was fast and her jumps were huge. Where is that Mirai?

Last edited:

DianaSelene

Medalist
Carolina gave is away with the fall on the 3-turns-into 3R jump.

Still, should be close.

ps: I don't like her pretty pretty music this year either, bleh. :p

Shostakovich has always been known as the serious composer. His music may be very ironic, depressing, and mature but yet beautiful. Not pretty pretty.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Nice to see Mirai have more life and interest here, and she skated very well. Although I do like Carolina and have pulled for her often, I feel like too often her skating is over-scored when she's a bit shaky. I'm not going to argue too much here with the judges, but I think Carolina should probably have been even closer and arguably behind Mirai. As some have said, it might be kind of a good thing for Mirai not to be going into the free in first.

ILoveFigures

On the Ice
How did Kanako get level 2 on footwork? I'm not expert, but she did much better than that. Even the commentator liked it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZmHMqUbvXc

She should've been ahead of Adelina

Murakami had way too many mistakes on her jumps to be infront of Adelina. Her 3T was underrotated and 3Lo missed half a revolution, so a downgrade there.

Regarding her step sequence, some of the steps and turns look a bit unclean. That might be the reason.

What is a toe-axel? I thought it was when you took off for a toe loop jump while facing forwards. If you look at the slow motion replay on Carolina's 3-3, the 2nd jump appears to be a toe axel.
It's not a toe axel. A toe axel is when you turn your entire body forwards so it looks like an axel jump. Carolina doesn't do that.