Mens SP | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Mens SP

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think this season's SP from Jeremy may be my favorite SP from him ever! :yes: He brings musical theater to the ice with this program; it's like the cast of Swing Kids is missing one of their lead dancers. He displayed tons of personality out there and it's clear that he loves this program very much! The transitions, choreography, and musical interpretation are second to none, IMO. I'm glad he has become more comfortable with his spins now too that the boot problems of last season have been resolved. I think Abbott, Takahashi, and Kozuka have the best SPs of the season so far for the men! :love:

seniorita

Record Breaker
I think the best ever Sp of Abott was the one he had on Olympic season, but still this one comes second. Makes look his last year one a choreo mess.

lavender

Record Breaker
Can't really get into Richard Dornbrush (him & his skating remind me too much of Timothy Goebel), but feel sorry for him with the fall on the opening quad, then hands down on the 3A.

But his broken leg super fast spin is akin to Keegan Messing's - both GORGEOUS & FAST!!! :)

I think i might be the only American that's not a fan at all but his posture does remind me of Tim. However there was something that I liked about Tim. He wasn't a fav but I always rooted for him.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Yeah, I think last season's SP was the farthest from Jeremy's actual personality, which is why it may have been harder for people to believe and appreciate. :)

Farthest from his personality maybe, but, I might be the only one who thinks that, Jeremy's last year's SP was a rare beauty.:yes::love: I love it! I agree that his Olympic year's SP was his best. This year's SP has personality for sure but it's the personality I don't really like. Goodness, does he wear make up now?!:eek:

Medusa

Record Breaker
All that jazzyswingy music this year makes my ears bleed. You'd think they made it compulsory this season. Chan, Amodio, Oda, Abbott, Fernandez, Gachinski, Reynolds - add Dai's LP - I don't have anything against some good jazz, but not 3, 4 programs in a row.

Nice Men's SP though, enjoyed, despite my bleeding ears.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Very, very nice skating from the last four men.

Jeremy's SP was fabulous, I loved everything about it. He shined today. :love:

I enjoyed Kevin's quirky SP. He looked so happy in the K&C until he saw
his marks, darn downgrades.

It will be an exciting FS since the top 4 scores are close enough that anyone of them can win.

genki

On the Ice
I loved Hanyu and Abbot in this comp. Hanyu's quad was so seamless. Loves his ss TOO.
Can Gagisky do something about his basic skating? It is so obviously much lower quality than other top guys.

arinessa

Rinkside
I loved Hanyu and Abbot in this comp. Hanyu's quad was so seamless. Loves his ss TOO.
Can Gagisky do something about his basic skating? It is so obviously much lower quality than other top guys.

I kinda find Hanyu a bit sloppy, although artistic and talented and Johnny Weir-ish, maybe still young though. I like Gachinsky's ss, he is just not balletic really, its simply his style right now, I think he'll develop more personality. I think balletic men's skating is 'it' for now, never cared for it much. Awesome jumps, kinda just throws them in sometime, yum :)

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I think balletic men's skating is 'it' for now, never cared for it much.

Patrick Chan is not balletic, but he is definitely "it".:love: I don't think balletic should be the trend for men's skating. Hanyu is unique. He is not and should not be a modal for men's skating. However, Hanyu has just blown me away regardless by his north wind or south wind.

Just watched Oda's SP. It really looked like Amodio was on ice with his fancy costume. Squeeky clean but reserved and not much firework. I agree with his placement.

Gosh, not enough love for Gachinski? Why still isn't there a single Youtube for his CoC SP?

Last edited:

aemeraldrainc

Final Flight
All that jazzyswingy music this year makes my ears bleed. You'd think they made it compulsory this season. Chan, Amodio, Oda, Abbott, Fernandez, Gachinski, Reynolds - add Dai's LP - I don't have anything against some good jazz, but not 3, 4 programs in a row.

:laugh:
That's what I said!
Did they all hang out over the summer, get drunk on a whim and decide to play a joke on us?
Not likely, I know, but fun to think about them in that way!

arinessa

Rinkside
Patrick Chan is not balletic, but he is definitely "it".:love: I don't think balletic should be the trend for men's skating. Hanyu is unique. He is not and should not be a modal for men's skating. However, Hanyu has just blown me away regardless by his north wind or south wind.

I know it is all subjective :) but Patrick Chan is very balletic to me. Actually, I take his skating style as more of that of an ice dancer not a singles skater, deep knees, straight back, those choreographed arms ... dunno, its very subjective, I am not a fan of that style though, I like more 'in-your-face' power than powerful gliding. (this is not just about Patrick but many other current skaters, so don't hate) Maybe not balletic but lyrical is actually a better word for what I mean, there is a lot of lyrical skating in men now, I miss Kurt Browning ....

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_...s=j1VGyMpfsJMO6I6E2h1ju3OTjaWP41riXTONYdcUKjU

This user has most programs from the Grand Prix so far.
I know I saw Arthur's earlier.

Thanks! Found it. I repeatedly typed arthur instead of artur. So I didn't find it earlier.

Isn't Gachinski a solid prove of worthy of high placement internationally ever since his 2011 Worlds bronz win? Don't under estimate his challenge! I've seen the new blood is replacing the old guns at CoC.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Just watched my taped mens competition.

First of all, glad to see Jeremy doing well again. Great program for him, but I'm sure he can do it better. Some shaky landings, but cool, personal skating. He still looks a bit nervous though(or is it just me being nervous :laugh:) Will we see a quad tomorrow? And better jumps? GO Jeremy!

Oda clean, very good skating, but a bit boring program.

Hanyu and Gashinski can really jump. Hanyu was just wow! Seniorita says he wears Plushy's bracelet(?) and maybe he also borrowed Weir's costume ;) He looked tired and sweaty at the finish. I liked H's performance better than G's but boy will these two challenge each other in years to come. Happy, happy about that! Both of them can only improve.

Kevin was fun to watch. Low score(yeah, funny handmoves for downgrades), but what I could hear the audience cheered for him. I like that he does something out of the usual and wish his performance/interpretation/choreo points were higher. Kudos to Nan Song as well.

Thanks guys for making this a Friday evening treat for me. Looking forward to the FS. Will be exciting, though I'm pretty sure Gashinski will win with his consistent fabolous jumps and outgoing style.

Btw COC has great time schedule for europe :D

Right; Crawling up in the sofa Saturday morning… breakfast in front of figure skating on TV :thumbsup:

FTnoona

Final Flight
I really enjoyed Yuzuru's SP. I think it has grown on me b/c the first time i saw him perform it in an ice show in japan I completely hated the music....
There is just something about Gashinkski's skating that I just don't like. He's a jumper alright but I think it's the way that he comes out of his jumps that bother me a bit. Congrats to him for being in 1st place.
Happy for Jeremy and Oda! They still got it :D

Interested to see if Yuzuru can keep it up in the FS...

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I see great improvements in PC part of their programs by Gachinski and Hanyu, who is not rushing around to do his big tricks. But Oda's and Abbott's great skating skills stand out very evidently in the first second of their programs. I find the younsters' PCS too high and too close to the two veterans'. It seems so far this season the new stars are getting PCS boosts while front runners from last couple of years are not getting their dues. I feel Kozuka was underscored in SA and Fernandez was overscored in SC as well, not that the standings would have been different.

The Chinese Men both received PCS 10 points lower than their TES. Such discrepencies speak loudly to them what they have to do. Kevin Reynalds has also made big strides PC wise, but unfortunately his jumps suffer like it were a zero sum game. Sigh.

I find that the Japanese Men are very rusty this season and think they have been quite adversly affected by the homeland disasters. Not only did they busy themselves in fundraising and spirits raising efforts for their people, but the stress must have taken a mental toll too. Hanyu is still making forward leaps but I imagine he would have progressed even more if he were not under these very trying circumstances. A little scary thought. However, he is at a disadvantage in the LP competition due to his fitness and stamina issues.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
I haven't seen any of this yet.. ( slept in ) but I'm very happy to see Gachinski in first. I love the improvements he's been making and hope he sticks with it.

Program - wise ,though I thought, earlier , that his SP was some improvement , it's his FP that's really exciting and shows the result of the work he did with Lambiel. Hope he's kept true to the Choreo. If he has a good skate with that program , Nadine better be chained to her chair , or we'll have lift off ! ;) ( Welcome back )

I'm off to scour YouTube.