Ladies - Long Program | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Ladies - Long Program

npavel

On the Ice
Meh, re this event. Carolina was over-scored as usual. Her well-choreographed program does help her, but she was a bit sloppy in sections. Good to see Mirai attacking and presenting better here. I don't think Carolina has much over Mirai or Alissa, but I don't doubt the judges are setting up Carolina for gold at GPF and Worlds if they can. Hope Alissa keeps it together and upsets that notion, as Alissa with mistake-free programs is better artistically. That's proven by how many of the ladies (including Carolina) are copying Alissa's style of skating.
Carolina has developed her own style, as has Alissa. Both competed against each other already at juniors and have since got their own way. Both have struggled with consistency and are now in a better control of skating. Carolina always was faster on the ice and better on jumps, Alissa better on spins. The total points are about the same if both go clean. But styles are far from each other and none are coping the other, they don't need it

SXTN

Final Flight
Carolina has become very consistent - even with the mistake on the last Salchow combo :laugh:

Both Alissa and Carolina are gorgeous, mature skaters. I like both of them.

Poor Mao, it's not going to be very easy this season.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I think people might be seeing more similarity between Carolina and Alissa than there actually is, because they're both really tall and lean.. so therefore they look similar while skating. I personally don't think there is that much similarity between the two, and I think Carolina skates with much more speed - she doesn't have the spins of Alissa though of course.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Alissa's power is her amazing spins.She "outspins" Carolina for sure.But Costner is more consistent in her jumps..To me they are no similar

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Blades, how so? I mean, we have no idea where she's at with her jumps and while two of the five ladies that beat her at Worlds last season are gone, two of the others are skating quite well.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Mao does not have severe jump problems, LOL. She has problems consistently landing non-underrotated 3Axels and 3-3 combinations...and so does every other Senior lady competing. The way Mao skated at 4CC last season is the base line for how well she is going to skate at Worlds this season. Get back to me when Kostner or Czisny score 130 for a Long Program.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Uh, Mao finished 6th at 2011 Worlds, scoring 114.13 in the FS. Her jump layout was 3a, 3f+2lo, 3z, 2a+3t-df<, 3f+2lo+2lo, 1s, 3lo. And that was one of her better performances last season.

We haven't seen Mao skate yet this season. Wait til next week.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What has happened to Mira's speed? I know she skates too cautious when it comes to landing her jumps instead of attacking them but she should be faster then this. Looking at her she doesn't seem to be in shape and there is no excuse for that. If you want to be a champion you have to put in the work and i don't know if Mirai is willing. Also i much prefer to watch Adelina skate then Liza. Adelina looks like a lady out there not a 10 year old and she has wonderful skills. Nerves and i think a growth spurt hurt her here but she's much further along then Liza is. Liza's big advantage is being tiny and as Frank said rotating her jumps like a bat out of hell. Next year might be different when she's not 4'11 and 80 lbs.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
We shall see, but I think the unusual circumstances surrounding Worlds last season hindered Mao significantly and aren't a good indication of how well she will peak this season.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Just a reminder for the folks that get Univ Sports that the Ladies and Ice Dance FS competition from today is supposed to be aired tonight
from 6:00 pm-8:00 pm EST.

burntBREAD

Medalist
Regarding Mirai's ommiting the flip, that solo 3T should be a flip, because earlier in the program a 2A-3T is planned, and since Mirai's already repeating the Lz and Lo. Hopefully Mirai can hone her lutes and flips up to Nationals now that it appears 3Lo is a money jump for her.

Layfan

Record Breaker
As a skating fan, I am so happy that Caro has stuck it out and didn't quit when things were bleakest for her. She is one of the most enjoyable skaters to watch out there and she has grown so elegant, even if her jumps aren't as difficult as they used to be. The comparisons between Alissa and Caro are inevitable because both have been praised as elegant skaters but criticized for their inconsistency. But I agree with those who are saying that they are totally different in their styles. Caro is much faster and has much better jumps when she lands them but of course nobody matches Alissa on her spins and i do love her gentle style. I am thrilled that so far both are doing well this season again. Fingers crossed for the rest of the season. Go Caro and Alissa.

I'd love to hear from anyone who saw this competition live about Mirai. On the internet she seemed serious and cautious but during the slo mo reps it seemed like she was much more into her music than it seemed on the Net. Too bad she is having all of these fiddly jump issues. It's disappointing not to see her 2a3t combo and that she hasn't really been able to master a triple triple. Not that she doesn't have other things going for her but I certainly hoped she would be one of these skaters who could jump AND be artistic. Still, congratulations to her for a decent skate and for her silver. I hope she continues to build momentum!

We shall see, but I think the unusual circumstances surrounding Worlds last season hindered Mao significantly and aren't a good indication of how well she will peak this season.

Blades, I really, really hope you're right on the money about Mao. She's my favorite active skater (though I love Alissa dearly) and I think the most prodigiously talented of the current skaters, and I hope she's able to skate to her full potential from now through Sochi. I will cross fingers and toes for next week! I think it's to be shown on American TV, so I may actually get to see it.

aemeraldrainc

Final Flight
I like the way it looks like Universal is alternating commentators according to discipline and even on the same one.
Wasn't it Suzie Wynne(sp?) last week? I might be wrong.
It's usually Peter C. for every discipline, except dance.
I like, Tara, too. But I wanna hear Michael Weiss! Or Paul Wylie works as well. Lol.

genki

On the Ice
Congtats Mirai on the silver medal. But I do not get it. Am I the only one who felt that she skated like she was just taking care of elements one by one, just because she got to do it?I did not feel any emotions from her. Miss previous Mirai with a lot of sparks.

Tanja90

On the Ice
Apparently Carolina landed a good 3F3T in the warm-up...it's a pity that she didn't land properly the flip and do the toe! But it means she is planning it! Still she has great programs this year and I hope to continue to see her confident as she has been these weeks!!