Ladies - Long Program | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Ladies - Long Program

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Actually Carolina won on TES by a point? Me think Mirai lost some points there? I say the way higher PCS is fine with me given her speed, transitions and such compared to Mirai's.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Odd, I don't feel one way or the other. Glad that Mirai earned a medal for the USA, and Carolina has been on the senior circuit so long, and has been a fav of mine as well (though not this year), that I'm glad they both got medals.

But for me I only had eyes and memory of Adelina Sotnikova. To medal on her first time out in the senior grand prix is a rare thing, and only the best of the best do so! :cool:

If she can maintain her nerves, stay with her current physical physique, and keep maturing as an artist, I see great things for her in the future, mayhap even another Yuna Kim in terms of jumps and having it all. Jmho. :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I am surprised by the lack of "wuzrobbing" (so far, anyway) given that Carolina wasn't perfect. She got way more of that last year. Goes to show what a good, well choreographed program does for you...

evangeline

Record Breaker
I am surprised by the lack of "wuzrobbing" (so far, anyway) given that Carolina wasn't perfect. She got way more of that last year. Goes to show what a good, well choreographed program does for you...

Given that nobody really brought their A-game to this event, I'm not surprised.....

Mao88

Record Breaker
Many many congratulations to Carolina. She has been around a long time and she really deserves the success she is getting at the moment.

Much better performance from Mirai. Hope she can build on this.

Good debut by Adelina. Obviously she is still adjusting to the growth spurt she has undergone, but I think she will settle down soon. I think the nerves stem from the fact that her growth spurt has coincided with her senior debut and the fact that she is still making adjustments - and her self awareness of the fact that she is having to make those adjustments (i.e. the fact that you know you cannot rely upon something 100% because your constantly making adjustments to take account of body changes, its obviously going to undermine your self confidence and make you tentative and nervous). She had a similar season like this a couple of years ago, but came through it to dominate the juniors last year. Hence, I don't think it will be too long before she is back to her best. Just needs to wait for her body to settle down into its new shape. Nevertheless, the technical fundamentals are there and I don't think she will have too many problems in accomplishing that

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Protocals!

Carolina - Got negative GOE for that wonky 3F landing and on the weird 3S-2T-1T combo. Otherwise positive across the board. And she hit level fours on all her spins.
Mirai- Got UR AND edge call on both her lutz (and negative GOE) AND A LEVEL THREE layback? Eeek!

And Carolina won in spirals (+1.40 vs +1.00 for Mirai) as well as the 3L (+1.00 vs +.9)

So in reality, Carolina did 5 clean (as in not UR) triples vs Mirai's 3. (Just curious is she going to do 2A-3T again?)

Adelina - two edge cals on her lutzes. (Why doesn't she just do a 3F-3L?) But she got solid scores on her non jump elements. She also ended up doing 5 non UR jumps (3Z, 3F, 3L (2), 3S)

Christina - Decent score on her 3F-3T (10.10), edge call on lutz, only mustered up level 2 and 3 spins. And to her credit she did six non UR triples (3F (2), 3L, 3T, 3S)

Kexin - Oh too bad UR on the 3Z and 3L and edge call on the 3F. But she should still be proud.

Ksenia - DG on 3F and UR on both 3L. And only level 2 step sequence

Kanako - Yikes, FOUR URs (3Z, 3F, 3F, 3S), edge call on the lutz, only level 2 on sit spin and step sequence

Bingwa - just one UR (on the 3T, decent spin levels, negaotive GOE on 3Z, 3T-2T combo and 3T (expected as teh landings were kind of rough)

Valetina - UR on the 3T and 3S, edge call on teh 3S. only level 1 step sequence.

Qiuying - DG on 3F, and UR on 3T, 3S and second 3T. level one spin, level 2 step

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Carolina just shows how attentive she is to the music when she skates, especially when compared to the other ladies at this event. She knows which notes to emphasize and hold and which to breeze through. I still like her program last year a bit more, but I'm show this will grow on me as the season progresses.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I did this for the men yesterday, but I'll just focus on jumps and non jump elements:

Jumps (7 jumping passes)

Christina 39.54
Mirai 38.10
Carolina 37.76
Kexin 37.51
Adelina 33.32
Bingwa 32.15
Ksenia 30.38
Kanako 29.03
Qiuying 21.47
Valetina 17.56

Non jump elements (3 spins, step and spiral)

Carolina 19.19
Adelina 18.37
Mirai 17.54
Kexin 16.63
Ksenia 15.63
Valetina 15.20
Kanako 15.07
Christina 14.35
Qiuying 13.69
Bingwa 13.23

seniorita

Record Breaker
Yay Carolina has two great programs this season, love the dress and the light skating, she was gorgeous!
Mirai was far better than SC but still the program looks ugly.
Adelina looked very beautiful, loved her dress and her program is nice, but I have hard time not thinking of Mao, I think it is difficult for 15 year old to skate to this music already. Also in COR they will both skate to same music, I m afraid of the comparisons.
Kanako goes down since last season, why? :(
Makarova didnt change the dress..

jaylee

Medalist
Also is it wrong to say that I prefer this skate from Carolina even with less harder triples than Mirai's? I don't know...this program just works for me!

ETA: 120?! That seems very very high for me for what she did technically.....oh well, I wanted her to win so...??

Carolina's lack of the lutz AND flip was bugging me last season, but since she's at least regularly including the flip now, I'm not so bothered. Mirai, on the other hand, is now omitting the flip and the salchow, and I can't justify the absence of those even though she's including two (f)lutzes.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Carolina's lack of the lutz AND flip was bugging me last season, but since she's at least regularly including the flip now, I'm not so bothered. Mirai, on the other hand, is now omitting the flip and the salchow, and I can't justify the absence of those even though she's including two (f)lutzes.

Ah, I guess I didn't notice the omission at first. And it does answer my "why isn't she doing a 2A-3T" question. I just realized that she has two 3Z and 3L, so she can't do a 2A-3T without having to put in another different triple.

I know that she's been having lip problems with the flip, but why the lack of a 3S? I wonder why skaters have such difficulty with it when it's supposedly the easiest jump.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Meh, re this event. Carolina was over-scored as usual. Her well-choreographed program does help her, but she was a bit sloppy in sections. Good to see Mirai attacking and presenting better here. I don't think Carolina has much over Mirai or Alissa, but I don't doubt the judges are setting up Carolina for gold at GPF and Worlds if they can. Hope Alissa keeps it together and upsets that notion, as Alissa with mistake-free programs is better artistically. That's proven by how many of the ladies (including Carolina) are copying Alissa's style of skating.

jaylee

Medalist
I know that she's been having lip problems with the flip, but why the lack of a 3S? I wonder why skaters have such difficulty with it when it's supposedly the easiest jump.

Mirai's salchow has been missing since fall 2009. She and Alissa both struggle to get the height or distance on their salchows needed to fully rotate. Alissa has doubled her salchow both times in competition this season--she probably realizes once she's in the air that she's not going to be able to rotate a third time without falling.

seniorita

Record Breaker
That's proven by how many of the ladies (including Carolina) are copying Alissa's style of skating.

:confused::scratch: I really dont see it, but at least I d prefer the non forced artistry of Mao to be copied.
Carolina s style doesnt look similar to Alisa btw.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:confused::scratch: I really dont see it, but at least I d prefer the non forced artistry of Mao to be copied.
Carolina s style doesnt look similar to Alisa btw.

I'm very confused by that comment from Art&Sport too. I don't see anyone copying Alissa either. She's not the first lyrical skater on the planet. As for the argument that Kostner was sloppy in places, well, Mirai was too as evidenced by the wrong edge calls and under-rotations she received on both of her passes at the 3Lutz. Nagasu doesn't have anywhere near Kostner's range in musical interpretation either and from all the ladies I've seen so far this season, Caro's choreography is definitely the best over everybody, IMO.

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
1. Carolina Kostner's style is nothing like Alissa Czisny's.
2. Kostner made her senior international debut in 2003, when Czisny was still skating junior, and is the more accomplished of the two; why would she feel the need to "copy" Czisny's style?
3. I agree with those who said that Kostner has the best programs among the ladies this season.
4. Both Czisny and Kostner are lovely skaters.

brightphoton

Medalist
Carolina's artistic style isn't anything like Alissa's. For one thing, Carolina's artistry consists of more than "HHHHHNNNNGGGHHHH" during spins elements and "worry face" during non-spin elements.