Men - Long Program | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Men - Long Program

treeloving

Medalist
I don't count anybody out. Just doubting Hanyu will realize his potential so young and early, especially with the major hindrance of having asthma.

Yuzuru is the little brother among the Japanese big guys and skating like it. A little time will change that. He still needs to grow, physically and mentally. That's exactly what he's doing but something cannot be rushed.

This I agree with you.

Regarding the discussion about his rink in Sendai, it has already reopened, there is a heart warming news report about this but I cannot find it now.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would actually love to see Jeremy work with Jeffrey Buttle on choreography. Anyone agree?

That would be a fun experiment. :yes: I recall Jeffrey stating before on his twitter account that Jeremy reminds him the most of himself than any other skater competing now. I foresee a successful move into choreographing similar to Buttle in Abbott's future when he finally does decide to hang up his skates competitively. His programs this season are exquisite and magical I think. :love:

prettykeys

Medalist
Yuzuru definitely can become stronger but I'm not sure how much his asthma will limit him. He IS only 16, though, it feels like we've been hearing about him forever!
Asthma should not be a limiting factor. It is a highly manageable disease (i.e. when properly cared for, in the vast majority of patients there is little to no difference in developmental/performance aspects), and I'm sure his docs know what they are doing. It must be something else that left him underconditioned.

Anyway, I wish him the best for his future. He is enjoyable and talented and seems like a very nice kid.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Do the drugs that are best for controlling asthma show up as doping drugs in doping tests?

Does anyone here know?

Some of them probably do. Remember Rick De Mont, the swimming champ from years back, whose gold medal was taken away? But I know that a lot of competitors have some kind of asthmatic condition (many go into skating to become healthier), so there would have to be at least one approved drug by this time. I'll hunt around and see.

Edit: Here's information from an article about drugs athletes aren't permitted to take, with exceptions.

Formoterol, salubutamol, salmeterol and terbutaline are permitted by inhalation only to prevent and/or treat asthma and exercise-related respiratory problems. However, athletes need to provide a medical note in order to attain a therapeutic-use exemption.

Last edited:

prettykeys

Medalist
According to the World Anti-Doping Agency's 2011 Prohibited List, only salbutamol and salmeterol are the allowed beta2 agonist medications.

Salbutamol is apparently easily detected in the urine, so they use a threshold point for what is considered suspicious (1000ng/mL); salmeterol shows up minimally in the urine so they haven't set a cutoff point for that one (but as far as I know, salmeterol is nowadays almost always packaged with an inhaled corticosteroid, so maybe that limits its potential for abuse.) Inhaled corticosteroids are not on the list of prohibited substances, and systemic absorption is negligible when used properly.

An athlete just has to remember to declare all his prescribed drugs. :biggrin:

One of my profs told me that a disproportionate number of Olympic athletes are allegedly asthmatic. He wasn't sure if it's the rigorous nature of their athletic training, or if they were more ambitious than ordinary people to find ways to improve their performance. It's unclear whether beta2 agonists would benefit healthy, non-asthmatic athletes. For one, there is only so much that airways can relax. Second, while they act as stimulants, I would imagine that no one wants to feel "overstimulated" at an already pressure-filled event. Who wants potential tremors and faster heartbeats when sports events are already nerve-wracking? :p But that's just my speculation based on book-knowledge; real experience may be something different.