Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Thread: Men - Long Program

Custom Title
    Some of them probably do. Remember Rick De Mont, the swimming champ from years back, whose gold medal was taken away? But I know that a lot of competitors have some kind of asthmatic condition (many go into skating to become healthier), so there would have to be at least one approved drug by this time. I'll hunt around and see.

Edit: Here's information from an article about drugs athletes aren't permitted to take, with exceptions.

Formoterol, salubutamol, salmeterol and terbutaline are permitted by inhalation only to prevent and/or treat asthma and exercise-related respiratory problems. However, athletes need to provide a medical note in order to attain a therapeutic-use exemption.
    Last edited by Olympia; 11-07-2011 at 07:23 AM.

Custom Title
    Does anybody know if his asthma is exercize induced or a more serious form of asthma?

can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    According to the World Anti-Doping Agency's 2011 Prohibited List, only salbutamol and salmeterol are the allowed beta2 agonist medications.

Salbutamol is apparently easily detected in the urine, so they use a threshold point for what is considered suspicious (1000ng/mL); salmeterol shows up minimally in the urine so they haven't set a cutoff point for that one (but as far as I know, salmeterol is nowadays almost always packaged with an inhaled corticosteroid, so maybe that limits its potential for abuse.) Inhaled corticosteroids are not on the list of prohibited substances, and systemic absorption is negligible when used properly.

An athlete just has to remember to declare all his prescribed drugs.

One of my profs told me that a disproportionate number of Olympic athletes are allegedly asthmatic. He wasn't sure if it's the rigorous nature of their athletic training, or if they were more ambitious than ordinary people to find ways to improve their performance. It's unclear whether beta2 agonists would benefit healthy, non-asthmatic athletes. For one, there is only so much that airways can relax. Second, while they act as stimulants, I would imagine that no one wants to feel "overstimulated" at an already pressure-filled event. Who wants potential tremors and faster heartbeats when sports events are already nerve-wracking? But that's just my speculation based on book-knowledge; real experience may be something different.

Custom Title
    Despite the falls, I really, really enjoyed Yuzuru Hanyu's program. It was just so captivating!

Custom Title
    Jeremy is USA TODAY's Olympic Athlete of the Week.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olymp...-07/51111718/1

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12