Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Men - Long Program

Custom Title
    I wasn't able to watch this competition - but loved reading your comments, and thanks so much for the link to Abbot's LP. I am in love with this program!

Custom Title
    Clearly the judges would have had it: Gachinski, Hanyu, Abbott, but for Gachinksi and Hanyu making one too many mistakes (i.e., falling apart in their free programs). I think Hanyu has beautiful programs and I would have had him in first after the short program, and Jeremy in second, with Gachinski third (he is way too stiff). Overall, it is Jeremy who is the creative and experienced skater. I'm so glad the judges did not reward the number of mistakes made by the younger guys. Jeremy should see the work he needs to do and also gain confidence from this win.

gmyers, CoC may have been as affected by the poorly instituted IJS, but CoC was a better men's competition than the one at Skate America. I'd put Skate Canada's men's competition at the top of the list for better comp.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    I do love this program from Yuzuru....but yeah he's got to figure out his stamnia issues.
    Subjectively speaking, Hanyu's aesthetic presentation of himself left a lot to be desired, similar to Kevin Reynolds although not as messy as the latter. His upper movements came across as a little mechanical as opposed to reflecting the mood of the music. I noted his arms remained rigid and forceful even though the music soften up in the middle section and slowed down. And when he fell, he looked shocked and disoriented, just sat there as opposed to getting up quickly. I think this kid still has a long way to go if he wants that spot on the Japanese World team this year.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    It's like 2008 again! Nobody expected Jeremy to win CoC back then, either! Is another GPF title in his future, too?
    Well, according to some, certain X skater will need to fall 7 times before Jeremy can win.

Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    Well, according to some, certain X skater will need to fall 7 times before Jeremy can win.
    Wallylutz, don't ruin the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Wallylutz, don't ruin the moment.
    Right, let us just love Jeremy for now, whatever he and X skaters do in the future

Custom Title
    ^^ Yes you said it Buttercup. Savor the moment, and pray for more! Wow, sending Jeremy all the best to keep improving his programs this season and to be great at Nats, stunning at Worlds. Show them you can land the quad (which is nothing but an extra revolution and I don't like it, but you can do it Jere -- let it meld with your program and not take away from your gorgeous program). Jeremy for top of the podium YAY!!!

What a crazy IJS. To me (as I mentioned in the sp thread), Hanyu and Gachinski still have juniorish skater qualities about them. So what they can land quads? I think Hanyu has better ss and more budding artistry than Gachinski (send him to ballet, Mishin), but as some have posted, Hanyu's coaches need to help him find a way to address his stamina issues.

My favorite men's programs so far: Dai sp; Jeremy fp; Adam sp; Ross fp; Jason B -- both programs

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Art&Sport View Post
    My favorite men's programs so far: Dai sp; Jeremy fp; Adam sp; Ross fp; Jason B -- both programs
    You forgot Dornbush.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    You forgot Dornbush.
    I really like Ricky, and loved his fp last year. This year both his programs are good, but he's got to go out there and try to skate without putting extra pressure on himself. Too bad re training the quad, b/c maybe Ricky wouldn't be having such problems with missing jumps -- he was so consistent last year. Great that he moved up in the placements at CoC. Wonder what if ... if he'd landed that quad cleanly along with 3-axel in the sp.

ETA: Ha ha, I suppose your fave programs this season are headed by Chan
    Last edited by Art&Sport; 11-05-2011 at 12:43 PM.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by Art&Sport View Post
    I really like Ricky, and loved his fp last year. This year both his programs are good, but he's got to go out there and try to skate without putting extra pressure on himself. Too bad re training the quad, b/c maybe Ricky wouldn't be having such problems with missing jumps -- he was so consistent last year. Great that he moved up in the placements at CoC. Wonder what if ... if he'd landed that quad cleanly along with 3-axel in the sp.

ETA: Ha ha, I suppose your fave programs this season are headed by Chan
    I think Richard will have it by Nationals. Now that his GP season is over, he has two months to really work on those programs and the quad. Nationals is going to be CRAZY if these guys keep up the good work.

You have no less than four guys (at this point) that can make the world team as well as 5-6 guys that are total dark horses. And we haven't even seen them all yet.
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 11-05-2011 at 12:56 PM.

Custom Title
    Aww... Yuzuru was doing so well in the beginning half of the program, but at least he didn't look as tired as he did at 4CC last year. I felt he should have gone the safer route after the landing of the 2nd 3A and done a 2T instead. It didn't look like he had enough speed to put the 3T in. So sad he was off podium by like 0.24 :( Seems like Hanyu isn't ready for the world team yet this year or until he at least can get better stamina. Impressed by Song's quads. It seems out of the three that were on the 2010 jr. world podium he wasn't doing as well last year. Here are some videos of the men's fs. Sorry if someone already posted them.

Hanyu FS
    http://www.youtube.com/user/frida340#p/u/4/0A7XW9AR4TE

Gachinski FS
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5ciC...el_video_title

Abbott FS
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=radyY...el_video_title

Oda FS
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoTmS...el_video_title
    Last edited by FTnoona; 11-05-2011 at 01:28 PM.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    Subjectively speaking, Hanyu's aesthetic presentation of himself left a lot to be desired, similar to Kevin Reynolds although not as messy as the latter. His upper movements came across as a little mechanical as opposed to reflecting the mood of the music. I noted his arms remained rigid and forceful even though the music soften up in the middle section and slowed down.
    Are you blind? Must be.

Hanyu was easily the best here in musicality and his sensitivity to the soft parts of the music is sublime. He did not recover from the falls well at all and was clearly very disappointed in himself but the performance still had more magic to it than any other. He deserved to be 2nd in the Freeskate and to claim the Gold medal overall here.

Nan Song was very impressive! I thought he was a bit undermarked in the SP; he has better performance quality and basics than any other Chinese singles skater to date. The jumps he laid down in the LP were excellent and he deservedly won that segment. I would have given him the Silver medal overall here.

I don't like Jeremy Abbott's program (yet another case of meaningless transitions and footwork thrown all throughout a program that have little or nothing to do with them music) and I can't believe how boring all the American men are this year. Ugh. That said, his overall performance quality is still quite good and I think he did enough here to deserve the Bronze medal. He's very lucky at how much the other guys messed up, though, because he did not deliver the jumps here either.

Nobunari Oda's music is awful. This Umbrellas of Cherbourg mix makes no sense, the program is entirely forgettable, and he lacks connection to performance as usual. His jumping is still great of course, but that weird fall on the 3Flip takes him off the podium for me.

Not a good day at the office for Artur Gachinski. Too many jump mistakes and he didn't put nearly enough energy into this.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FTnoona View Post
    I felt he should have gone the safer route after the landing of the 2nd 3A and done a 2T instead. It didn't look like he had enough speed to put the 3T in.
    I thought so, too. I felt Hanyu would have skated clean if without that first fall. His quad seemed very consistent to me and I wonder why he didn't plan a second quad in his long program. I hope he would try something like this in the near future:
    4T+3T
    4T
    3A + 3T
    FSSp
    3Lz
    CiSt
    3A
    3F
    3Lo+ 2T + 2T
    CCoSp
    3S
    FCCoSp

Say, if he doubles every jump in the second half of the program due to his stamina issues, he could still wrap up big scores with a front-loaded program like that.
    Last edited by skatinginbc; 11-05-2011 at 02:41 PM.

Banned
    Nan should have won.

Custom Title
    Nan Song was too far back pointwise in the SP to win, but his FS was wonderful. I am SO glad he medaled over Gachinski. IMO, Gachinski is a 6.0 skater---no transitions, just lots of posing and stroking---and he is WAY overscored in PCS. Much of the time, he looks as if he is channeling Plushenko, but without Plushy's rock-solid jumps.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast