Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 170

Thread: Men - Long Program

  1. #106
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Much of the time, he looks as if he is channeling Plushenko, but without Plushy's rock-solid jumps.
    And without Plushenko's charisma either.

  2. #107
    Custom Title christinaskater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    1,467
    I agree, Gachinski is like imitating Plushenko's style which is the goal of Team Sochi
    I agree he has very few transitions and gets top scores on it and the other PCS areas. I hope Mishin would develop him as Gachinski and not Plushenko because he looks like a pale imitation of the later.

    Skating is a superstar sport. You have to establish your brand first before you get top marks. So Nan has to show his consistency to reap the top marks. Surely he deserved the gold and was under marked for both the SP and LP. He is amazing!

    Yuzuru needs to build more upper body strength. He needs to buff up a little to make him look more mature and not boyish looking. The boyish image makes the judges hesitant to give top marks for artistry.

    Jeremy is truly one of the best artist of this generation. Masterpiece program!

  3. #108
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,818
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Are you blind? Must be.
    Now that you mention it, I think I am blind indeed. But guess what, being disabled is a million times better than being fake and a Pasha Grishuck wannabe.

  4. #109
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,008
    Congratulations to Jeremy!

    However, can I say that I don't really like his new LP? It's beautiful, yes. But it's like a workout music and movements for a ballet practice sesson. I agree with BoP on this one. Most of the time, I felt the movements were meaningless. A typical Yuka Sato skating - so beautiful throughout yet nothing memorable. Good to see his PCS was so high. Hope he could hold on and do better technically next time.

    Sad for Hanyu. He started strong and melted down on half way. Love his music!

    Oda took himself out of the contention. Why didn't he do a quad? He had it and even did it in SP last year. I felt he was held up.

    Wish Gachinski well next time. Don't really like his program.

    Nan Song, what a guy! (Haven't had a chance to watch his LP yet.) He won LP but his PCS was about 20 points lower than his TES. He has a lot catch up to do on the PCS department.
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 11-05-2011 at 05:13 PM.

  5. #110
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    8,073
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Congratulations to Jeremy!

    However, can I say that I don't really like his new LP? It's beautiful, yes. But it's like a workout music and movements for a ballet practice sesson. I agree with BoP on this one. Most of the time, I felt the movements were meaningless. A typical Yuka Sato skating - so beautiful throughout yet nothing memorable. Good to see his PCS was so high. Hope he could hold on and do better technically next time.

    Sad for Hanyu. He started strong and melted down on half way. Love his music!

    Oda took himself out of the contention. Why didn't he do a quad? He had it and even did it in SP last year. I felt he was held up.

    Wish Gachinski well next time. Don't really like his program.

    Nan Song, what a guy! (Haven't had a chance to watch his LP yet.) He won LP but his PCS was about 20 points lower than his TES. He has a lot catch up to do on the PCS department.
    Someone mentioned earlier that Oda was injured this summer so is holding off on the quad for now. However, I don't quite agree he was held up -- he scored a TON of points for what he did on the ice. His 3A alone earned him 11.06 points (as it should his version is CRAZY amazing) and he had two other elements that earned him double-digits scores (3Z-3T and his 3A-2T-2L). He definitely did a lot more, technically, than almost everybody except Nan, Kevin and Richard and I felt he was docked appropriately for what he didn't do. And those higher PCS is well deserved, especially in skating skills.

    ETA: Also I think in the quad-or-no quad debate, it's worth noting that the 3A still matters, especially if you have one as good as Oda's. The reason Nan Song was super amazing is that he did 2 quads AND 2 3A. Compare that to Kevin who also did 2 quads but fell apart on the 3A. Oda managed to score the equivalent of a quad toe jump by scoring super high GOE on both his Triple Axels.

    Jeremy also has a solid 3A and that popped 3A, no doubt was to be a 3A-3T combo.
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 11-05-2011 at 05:28 PM.

  6. #111
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    2,038
    Wow I was watching Artur realizing he was skating to Red Violin and I was taken aback. It was just like he was just skating to nothing imo. It was like the music was just happened to be on. None of the movement to this music made sense. All I can think of is what he should be doing and thinking of Michelle's program which imo would have worked in any system.

    His short was actually enjoyable and I was expecting something similar.

  7. #112
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,610
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Nan Song was too far back pointwise in the SP to win, but his FS was wonderful. I am SO glad he medaled over Gachinski. IMO, Gachinski is a 6.0 skater---no transitions, just lots of posing and stroking---and he is WAY overscored in PCS. Much of the time, he looks as if he is channeling Plushenko, but without Plushy's rock-solid jumps.
    He has transitions. I don't see how you can say he has none when some are blindingly obvious. This comes off as a rote statment of dislike for some skaters. "6.0" "no transitions" - not accurate.

  8. #113
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,610
    Quote Originally Posted by lavender View Post
    Wow I was watching Artur realizing he was skating to Red Violin and I was taken aback. It was just like he was just skating to nothing imo. It was like the music was just happened to be on. None of the movement to this music made sense. All I can think of is what he should be doing and thinking of Michelle's program which imo would have worked in any system.

    His short was actually enjoyable and I was expecting something similar.
    Most of the program was Dracula and Vampire and the clear influence of vampire moves was obvious.

  9. #114
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    94
    Strangely, Jeremy's program is not convincing as it's rather bourgeouis.
    Yuzuru is the most wonderful thing happened to men figure skating since Yagudin.

  10. #115
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    311
    Just watched a few videos.

    Jeremy's free program is boring and his jumps are as shaky as usual. But he probably deserved the win here.
    Oda's skating skills and the landed jumps are still excellent. But he has made no obvious progress in other areas.
    Nan Song had a breakthrough. His jumps were outstanding and he's improving basic skating skills & presentation. He is still quite slow though. A long way to go if he wants to break into the top tier in the world. Definitely deserved the bronze medal.
    Shame for Hanyu. He has everything except the stamina. He'll become world champion sooner rather than later.

    Gachinski was vastly overscored, especailly in the PCS department. Poor basic skating skills, slow, very little ice coverage, typical 6.0 choreography to save energy for big jumps. How the hell did he get a bronze medal at world championships?

    I also quite enjoy Kevin. It's almost like he no longer cares about how judges will score him. He's completely liberated. I think he's now shooting for record book, please audience and himself instead of judges. Maybe miracle will suddently strike him one day and he'll be crowned as world champion? It's possible with 3 quad jumps, 2 3axels...
    Last edited by skateflower; 11-05-2011 at 05:54 PM.

  11. #116
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,818
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    Most of the program was Dracula and Vampire and the clear influence of vampire moves was obvious.
    Really, he was Dracula? I thought he was a member of the Adam's family to be honest. It just goes to show he still has a long way to go to help the audience to actually understand what he was trying to portray.

  12. #117
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    8,073
    Quote Originally Posted by skateflower View Post
    Just watched a few videos.

    Jeremy's free program is boring and his jumps are as shaky as usual. But he probably deserved the win here.
    Oda's skating skills and the landed jumps are still excellent. But he has made no obvious progress in other areas.
    Nan Song had a breakthrough. His jumps were outstanding and he's improving basic skating skills & presentation. He is still quite slow though. A long way to go if he wants to break into the top tier in the world. Definitely deserved the bronze medal.
    Shame for Hanyu. He has everything except the stamina. He'll become world champion sooner rather than later.

    Gachinski was vastly overscored, especailly in the PCS department. Poor basic skating skills, slow, very little ice coverage, typical 6.0 choreography to save energy for big jumps. How the hell did he get a bronze medal at world championships?

    I also quite enjoy Kevin. It's almost like he no longer cares about how judges will score him. He's completely liberated. I think he's now shooting for record book, please audience and himself instead of judges. Maybe miracle will suddently strike him one day and he'll be crowned as world champion? It's possible with 3 quad jumps, 2 3axels...
    I think it's more likely for Reynolds to do 4 different quads before he does 2 3As -- he's never been able to get it together with that jump.

  13. #118
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    195
    OMG, when Jeremy skates like this I have no words, in tears, such a beautiful soul. Now this is the rare case when I think a quad doesn't matter (though he needed that second 3A imho).

    This program, choreography routine ranks up there with John Curry imho ~ a male ballerino on ice ~ exquisite, exquisite, exquisite...

    And his spins are on a dime (a specialty of the Satos).

    Ahhhhh, no words, just soul....


    This is the reason why I watch figure skating. Not looking closely at somebody's boots to appreciate allegedly spectacular SS.

  14. #119
    Rooting for Adrian, Javi and Kevin R!!! :) aemeraldrainc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    559
    [QUOTE=skateflower;589903
    I also quite enjoy Kevin. It's almost like he no longer cares about how judges will score him. He's completely liberated. I think he's now shooting for record book, please audience and himself instead of judges. Maybe miracle will suddently strike him one day and he'll be crowned as world champion? It's possible with 3 quad jumps, 2 3axels...[/QUOTE]

    That would be awesome!
    I hope someday he gets his due.
    And I know most everyone here hates it, but I love his hair!!
    There. I said it. (There's no slink away smilie in this forum? Oopsie. Wrong forum. Hehe)

  15. #120
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,610
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    Really, he was Dracula? I thought he was a member of the Adam's family to be honest. It just goes to show he still has a long way to go to help the audience to actually understand what he was trying to portray.
    He does need to improve because he can't fall on one jump without a whole competition going down the tubes. He's got no buffer. His PCS is low enough that it provides really no help.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •