Your thoughts on COC) | Golden Skate

Your thoughts on COC)

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
1) Costner is a great performer.I won't be surprised if I see her on top of the podium i GPF.Especially if she puts her 3-3s..
2)LOVE Yuzuru:) He'll be on top of the World in future.He is sooo young!
3)Sotnikova is like Mirai,I think,i.e. her nerves on competition..
4)K/S look great this season.Like their sp)

mikiandorocks

Final Flight
Highlights:
1 - Kavaguti & Smirnov proving that they still have a word to say and that they are contenders.
2 - Kostner winning gold.
3 - Bobrova & Soloviev
4 - Emily Samuelson returning to competition.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Was the whole lower bowl of the arena curtained off or am I seeing things again?.....if they tried that in America, the fans would bring tar and feathers and pitchforks.
I too am Glad Emily is back. And after only two months paired off....wow....but Goldfinger has to go.....

Chris afraid of heights

brightphoton

Medalist
OKAY. I have a question.

WHAT WAS WITH THE FOG ALL OVER THE ICE???

Has ANYBODY ever seen anything like that before?

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
It was really strange(( I watched SA and SC so I can't even compare how bad the competition was in China...=(I mean such problems as you've mentioned

ILoveFigures

On the Ice
OKAY. I have a question.

Has ANYBODY ever seen anything like that before?

I have many times, and it mainly comes from the rink being very cold. The rink looked cold compared with the rinks at SA & SC. =)

The only ice that I can think of that creates fog is dry ice. Could they have used some of that?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Skaters in the kiss and cry thought it was hot too.....Just watched the ladies awards....kind of odd.....Adelina didnt congratulate Mirai and only congratulated Carolina as an afterthought....but the really odd thing was that the head of Canon China, a sponsor, came out and gave each lady a Canon 600d....a very nice camera and present but kind of awkward to hold...and they were brought out on platters .....Good thing GE china didnt try and bring out washing machines......

LuCN

Rinkside
audience love falling and spins better than anything - -

audience love Jeremy and Hanyu except the chinese skaters :)

ice dancer C/J got many boys and girls hearts for their good looking lol

btw,about the fog,it's a stadium for swimming competition,not figure skating,the machines or something not very match the use,so... but actually it didn't affect sight during competition.

b-man

Final Flight
I was there for the short programs and free skate and there was no fog. It was warmer than in Canada. In Canada, the first row was at rink level. In China, the first row was 20 feet above and 30 feet away from the rink. One thing I didn't like was the camera policies. In Canada, SLR's with telephoto lens were forbidden, so I didn't bother to pack my camera for China. It turns out a few hundred people in Shanghai had huge telephoto's all over the rink, many with tripods in the aisles and some even in the seats.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
There are few skating fans in Shanghai and most attendees in this event were there with the free tickets with little knowledge about figure skating. Diificult accomplishments went unacknowledged whereas falls were most noticeable and loud gasps inducing. (Actually, that is much like many very involved online fans everywhere, come to think of it. Hmmmm.) In the Chinese forums, fans are critical of and dismayed by these aundiences and suggest that skaing events should be staged only in Beijing where it is more appreciated.

I thought the fog was made on purpose to enhance the entertainment value catering to this crowd, especially for the gala. I don't really know.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker

I think that was because the arena temperature was higher than normal arenas we used to see. The temperature on ice surface was cold enough to make proper ice for skating. But when cold surface met with room temperature, the frozen water evaporated before it turned into water. I don't think the audience people have had enough experience in watching ice skating to know to bring thicker clothes. So the room temperature was higher than normal arenas. Look at this Nan Song's LP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlEu0x_Deqs

The audiences didn't wear thick clothes like we've seen, say, in Skate Canada.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Thanks Skatefiguring and b-man. Very interesting remarks. I halfway wondered about the crowd and their atypical reactions to things...now everything is clear. BTW, Camera policies are one of my buttons.....At SkateAmerica, it was stated clearly on the website before the event. That is the way it should be. I have seen needless arguments and confrontations over the years over cameras.....Just put the policy up on the website before the event and clearly post it at the door....how hard is that? At Worlds 2009 LA, there was a cloak room for checking your 155mm howitzer lenses. These things arent cheep and many were reluctant to check them, but security made sure one did indeed, or remove them from the arena.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
and while we're on teh subject of camera policy - DONT USE THE FLASH! and if you don't know how to work your camera without it then don't bring your camera. Seriously, you don't need the flash for one because the lighting is bumped up for the cameras anyway, and where you are sitting the distance from you to the action is so far that the light drops off before it gets even close to the subject. SO DON'T USE IT!

mskater93

Record Breaker
Fog could be generated by a poor humdifying/dehumidfying system as well if the weather is particularly sticky outside.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I wish more arenas would enforce the no flash rule. At Spokane, ushers with two way radios fingered constant flashers and sent folks to "remind" them to reset their cameras.
Unfortunately, many point and shoot cameras have very helpful features like turning on the flash again if you make certain ajustments..and many folk refuse to learn how to use
their cameras for the "show". Sigh.