Emanuel Sandhu makes a return to competition! | Golden Skate

Emanuel Sandhu makes a return to competition!

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
"It is true that Emanuel is entered and hopefully he will be competing," Ted Barton, the director of the event, told me. "He has been back on the ice and looks really good.

"Emanuel said he wanted to keep things quiet for as long as possible. He isn't doing this for publicity or press. People all skate for personal reasons. He told me he has unfinished business with skating."

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskating/opinion/2011/11/sandhu-making-comeback.html

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Wow, what fantastic news! One of my favorite skaters --I love his long-limbed dance elegance. And he's one of the few who beat Plushenko. It will be fun to see how he stacks up against current competitors.

bsfan

On the Ice
Wow, what fantastic news! One of my favorite skaters --I love his long-limbed dance elegance. And he's one of the few who beat Plushenko. It will be fun to see how he stacks up against current competitors.

He beat Plushenko because Plushenko did one more jump not allowed by the new rule, not because he out skated Plushenko.

lcd

Match Penalty
Always admired his artistry and daring personna, but never once thought he truly enjoyed the competitive arena. Not only will it be interesting to see how time and maturity may have since influenced his unique style, but even more so, whether there is an advancement in mind set that would make a return to COMPETITIVE skating a success, or more than just a grab at a headline. I wish him well.

I can't wait to see how this plays out. I think Sandhu is extremely talented. I hope that he can put it down and keep his nerves under control. Does this mean he'll be at all the qualifying events: Sectionals, Challenge, Nationals.?

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Awww the days of Sandhu. All that creativity and artistry.....
Yes, those were good old days....I always thought he was one of the best skaters in the artistry department.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
What exciting news to come home to! :yay: :party: It really was an unfinished business.

Sandhu has got everything for competition success but the nerves and a settled mind. Maturity, life and dancing experiences as well as personal desires and decision to return may be good indications of the finding of the missing ingredients. However well he competes, his skating artistry is uniquely enjoyable and admirable.

Canadian Men skating just becomes more exciting. What a field for a regional competitions! I wish everybody to do their very best.

Ravensque

On the Ice
I was always a fan of Sandhu, even though he disappointed me so many times. When he was "on", he was brilliant though. I just hope he doesn't kill himself trying to get back into competitive skating...........he's 31 at least now....... old for competitive skating, but I'd love to see him do well..............Gooooooo!!!!!! Eman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wallylutz

Medalist
Wow, what a surprising and exciting news! :) Too bad Canada only has two spots for Men at the Worlds this year. Assuming Sandhu can beat out Reynolds and Rogozine for one of the spots, which is a big if, it would be amazing to see him compete at the World level again. We'll find out pretty soon if he still has the goods.

wallylutz

Medalist
He beat Plushenko because Plushenko did one more jump not allowed by the new rule, not because he out skated Plushenko.

One reason or the other, it's still a win. Oda has been having the same problem over and over and over, it cost him dearly or should we discount those as well?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
What an interesting field. Sandhu is more than twice Nguyen's age, and size. :) If Buttle would join in, we'd have 4 or 5 generations of Canadian Men skaters, including past, current, and future Champions competing in the same season.

bsfan

On the Ice
One reason or the other, it's still a win. Oda has been having the same problem over and over and over, it cost him dearly or should we discount those as well?

Oda had problem on previous jump(s) before he miscalculated things. Plushenko simply did more jump. He didn't fall. Plus the rule was quite new in Plushenko case. And he didn't beat Plushenko 'over and over'. I don't care much about Oda's cases at all.

gmyers

Record Breaker
In favor of Sandhu he was close enough in score so that a violation of the rules allowed him to beat Plushenko. At the 2006 Olympics I don't think anyone was even close enough to beat him if a combo was deemed illegal!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Eman will be 31 later this month. I'd be surprised if he could continue his comeback for very long before suffering an injury of some kind.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
It does seem to be a daunting task. Figure skating is harder than ever now and he had problems delivering clean programs even without having to worry about transitions and difficult footwork. I just don't see him resolving whatever "unfinished business" he has at this point.