Pj's all-time top 10: Men | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Pj's all-time top 10: Men

Dragonlady

Final Flight
When Plushenko first started competing and touring in North America he was shy and also was not confident about his English. This might have given some American journalists the impression that he was stand-offish.

I've seen Plushenko treat other skaters disrespectfully at competitions and fans as well. Then they turn the TV cameras on him and he's all smiles. On a personal level, I agree with PJ.

ciocio

On the Ice
I've seen Plushenko treat other skaters disrespectfully at competitions and fans as well. Then they turn the TV cameras on him and he's all smiles. On a personal level, I agree with PJ.

You´ve said that many times. You didn´t tell us when and whom he disrespect.
Evgeni was very respectful to me when I´ve meet him, as well to many people I know.
I know fans who also felt disappointed when they met Yagudin, Joubert, and even Lambiel, who seems to be such a sweet guy.

Last edited:

lavender

Record Breaker
I might be tempted to substitute Daisuke for Elvis because he's just such a standout for me.

Skaters like Jeff B, Lambiel, Daisuke have actual brillant skating skills and so much more in other areas that I don't think there would be room for Elvis.

I've seen Plushenko treat other skaters disrespectfully at competitions and fans as well.

Not me. I have seen him live at cheesefests and on COI. He was the soul of politeness to the fans and was especially chivalrous toward the ladies in the show.

Maybe at more serious competitions he puts on his game face.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
So noone thinks Scott Hamilton (4 times World Champion, once Olympic champion) deserves to be on any list of Top 10 male skaters? I'd knock out Stojko & replace him with Hamilton.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Not Hamilton's fault of course but he dominated one of the weakest quads ever for mens skating. Who was his biggest rival- Norbert Schramm? Orser, Fadeev, and Boitano were just starting and not real contenders yet (except for Orser in 84, but his figures being so weak guaranteed Hamilton winning even though that year Brian could skate circles around Scott in freestyle). All the old guard of the previous generation were gone and the skaters of Hamiltons generation (Simond, Schramm, Cerne, Bobrin, Santee) were unremarkable to put it mildly. He even admitted he knew after the 84 season ended he had to turn pro since he would probably have dropped to 4th or 5th in the World the very next year with all of Orser, Fadeev, Boitano, and Sabovcik ready to pass him with his limited jump content.

But for total contribution to skating, Hamilton deserves a top spot because of his entrepreneurial talents.

bestskate8

On the Ice
No Lambiel, Kulik ,Takahashi, Petrenko on a list, wonder how many people on earth will agree to this list

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
No Lambiel, Kulik ,Takahashi, Petrenko on a list, wonder how many people on earth will agree to this list

None of those skaters merit a place on an all time top 10 list. Neither in terms of acheivements or contributions to the sport.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Yeah, I've torned between Stojko and Hamilton. Stojko deserved on there even though I don't really like him. Maybe we could take off Brian Orser and put Scott Hamilton there.

None of those skaters merit a place on an all time top 10 list. Neither in terms of acheivements or contributions to the sport.

I agree with you.

seniorita

Record Breaker

I ve talked to him quite a few times by now to have my own opinion and I believe people cannot carry a 24h smile especially in the middle of competition with a camera on their face so if you go to him before a competition like a jumping monkey he would probably tell you off but I m always curious since I ve seen you have written it many items in various place, but since you dont say what I ll speculate he didnt say bonjour to you too.:)
And Jouby is a sweetheart too.

Last edited:

bestskate8

On the Ice

Who said so? Everyone apply different standards I guess.
Petrenko has two Oly medals and Chan none, Kulik has gold medal and Orser silver, Lambiel silver and Cranston bronze and so on, but I would have both Lambiel and Cranston on a list but not Button and Browning

My list, no order
Lambiel
Cranston
Plushenko
Yagudin
Takahashi
Stojko
Orser
Curry
Boitano
Petrenko

gmyers

Record Breaker
Except Alissa Czisny. :)

Serious LOL!!

Based on a lot of the entrants on ladies and some here you would think PJ would have put Hamilton on because of his part in getting S/P the pairs gold! He did dominate from 1981 to 1984 and then when pros mattered he did very well with it.

Last edited: