Powerful storm headed toward coastal Alaska | Golden Skate

Powerful storm headed toward coastal Alaska

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
http://www.adn.com/2011/11/08/2160346/powerful-storm-aims-at-western.html#ixzz1dAcRjNFQ

Anchorage Daily News said:
Evacuations have begun in some Alaska coastal communities, including Nome (see below), ahead of a powerful storm that's moving across the Bering Sea toward the western Alaska coast. The storm, packing hurricane-force winds, has the potential for coastal flooding, extensive beach erosion and serious damage, according to the National Weather Service.

"This will be extremely dangerous and life threatening storm of an epic magnitude rarely experienced," the Weather Service said in a bulletin earlier today.

I am in South Central Alaska. So far all we're being warned about are "rough seas" and a lot of snow (which we've had all weekend) starting tomorrow (wednesday). The last time the Coast saw a storm of this magnitude was in 1974. Technology is much improved these days so fatalities should be minimal as evacuation and warnings happened well before this hit earlier today. Videos and pictures on the news are impressive already.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I hope that you ride the storm out comfortably, Toni.

We just had a nasty storm (Winter Storm Albert) here in Connecticut. It is 10 days since the storm, and there were still over 25,000 without power. Because there were still leaves on the trees, the weight of the snow snapped them like twigs, breaking power lines all over the state. Fortunately in SE CT, where I am, we just got a couple inches of snow, and all our leaves were down due to hurricane Irene. We didn't even lose power.

http://www.theday.com/article/20111108/NWS12/111109583

But elsewhere, school has been out for 10 days in spots, and polling places for Tuesday's elections had to be moved around. Everyone is furious at Connecticut Light & Power, who also botched things after hurricane Irene. Some people here in Groton were out of power for 9 days then. I'm not sure what's going to happen with the power company, but I suspect something like what happened in Mass after a similar snafu after an ice storm. Power companies there have to have disaster plans filed with the state each year.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Stay safe, Toni!

Doris, I'm glad that you weathered the 10/29 storm IN CT. It's been such a bizarre year for strange weather - @ strange times & in such unexpected places.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm pretty much out of harms way. We had a 16 hour power outtage at my house November 1, due to massive wind... so I don't envy the West Coast communities right now dealing with everything they have to.

here's the latest from Nome:
EFFECTIVE AT 6:00am Alaska time

The City of Nome Emergency Managers announce the closure of East Front Street. The storm has tossed debris onto the roadway creating hazardous driving conditions.In addition, waves are launching fist sized rocks and logs up to 2 feet in diameter onto the road way.These objects would cause injury to any person that was struck....These signs of beach erosion indicate that the Nome-Council highway is impassible.

Residents of Nome are reminded that overnight some electrical wires have fallen and may be live. Avoid all downed wires.

High winds continue to tear off roofing metal from houses.Avoid outdoor travel due to this potential to cause injury.

We will provide a status report in late morning after first light.

Charlie Lean, Acting Incident Commander

Oh and just as an added note. "Front Street" is the finish line for the Iditarod. It's basically their main street in Nome.

This just in:
Anchorage Daily News said:
High winds and surging waves pummeled Alaska's western coast Wednesday, churning the Bering Sea and forcing residents of Nome and isolated native villages to seek higher ground inland.

"We do have some reports of buildings losing roofs in the Nome area," said meteorologist Scott Berg at the National Weather Service in Fairbanks. "Also water at the base of buildings in Nome."
In Nome, some homes close to the ocean have been evacuated, but there are no reports of injuries, Berg said.
A storm surge could bring more severe flooding later Wednesday in the Nome area, he said.
Blizzard conditions prevailed overnight in quite a few places, with sustained winds of 60 mph and gusts to 80 mph.

Read more: http://www.adn.com/2011/11/08/2161340/western-alaska-coast-residents.html#ixzz1dECQjwdd

Last edited:
I just read about this historic-strength storm online. Of course I thought of you instantly, Tonichelle. I'm glad you're far from the brunt of the storm. Many people from the lower 48 posted good wishes and prayers for Alaskans attached to the report I read. I convey them to you and add mine to the bunch. Please keep us posted as you can.

Stay safe and warm!

Stay safe, Toni (and all your friends and family). This sounds scary even from NJ. I can't imagine the power of the elements in Alaska.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Gusts in Alaska on the noon news here are now up to 90 mph. Very odd weather patterns it seems to me over the last four years....
(Alaskans are tough hardy folk but this doesnt sound good)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm not even in the path of the storm. So no worries for me and mine... it's those on the west coast that are getting a lot of crap headed their way.

the pattern hasn't really been different for AK, Chris.... it's kinda like big volcanic eruptions/earthquakes... we were bound to get this sooner or later...

I will not have to worry about power, phones, etc... I'm happily working on winter projects inside and watching the news. :)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I saw one guy on the news doing snow angles for the cameraman in the blizzard! Now thats a tough Alaskan! Spokane has had weird weather...three out of the last four winters were record breakers....last Spring was wet, then nothing but drought till maybe this weekend.....I do feel for the Texans though.....as if the drought isnt bad enough, now they are getting dust storms....Meanwhile, in the heat of the day, in Anchorage Alaska, the sun reached 11.6 degrees above the horizon......

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Well, the communities rode it out in Alaskan fashion. Now they are looking at the damages and deciding what to do... there was flooding and wind damage but not as much as what the news was predicting.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, the communities rode it out in Alaskan fashion. Now they are looking at the damages and deciding what to do... there was flooding and wind damage but not as much as what the news was predicting.

That's good news.

a different "storm" system has hit South Central, AK (where I am). We could see anywhere from 3-8 inches. The snow and wind are here but not that bad... http://www.adn.com/2011/11/11/2166387/snow-wind-to-hit-southcentral.html we will be perfectly fine...

Here's an article on the deployment of the damage assessment teams out to the Bering coast - http://www.alaskadispatch.com/article/state-deploy-bering-sea-storm-damage-assessment-teams

Hopefully youll weather this storm OK, too.

I'm glad to hear that the storm wasn't as damaging as feared. I hope things go smoothly for you in the upcoming storm in your area, Tonichelle.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
meh a couple of inches blew in, nothing major... unless it's a couple of feet we don't bat an eye down here...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
We are. We had our own wind storm down here the last couple of days. My house was without power for nine hours, there are homes that are still without power and trees are down everywhere. Second storm for this area so far this winter. Haven't had a November like this in a decade so people are all freaking that this is not normal, but I've been around long enough to know that this happens once every 8-10 years... Other than the no heaters working or hot water while the powers out I kinda find it fun... digging out after a wind storm is an adventure!