Ladies Short Program 11/11/11 5:15 AM EST | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Ladies Short Program 11/11/11 5:15 AM EST

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I think it's mostly Akiko that's setting herself up for the win. Not many ladies manage to land a 3-3 for the 1st time at the age of 26, especially after not competing for a few seasons due to illness. And there are few skaters who can skate with such joy and freedom.

That's true. But a year or two ago, even when she skated like this (and she did a few times, at CoC, at the GPF where Kim and Miki vaulted pass her with crap programs), the judges would still give her second tier PCS and keep her down. This year, she's getting her due. That's what I meant.

Morning Glory

On the Ice
I'm really happy for Akiko! What an amazing performance! Not only jumps but also her spins become really gorgeous.

And Mao:) Except for singled axcel, her jumps, steps, spins are fantastic! Love her speed of spins. If only she doubled the axcel... OK, can't wait for LP!

Medusa

Record Breaker
I won't deny that they lowballed Akiko in the past - but she sometimes set herself up for it with subpar SP-performances. Then the skating order in the LP combined with her status as "not-Mao-not-Miki"-Japanese Lady often resulted in less than stellar scores. I don't think she had many clean SPs during her comeback years. So I am extra-happy for her today (I still like her LP better - not fond of Marton).

Nadine

Record Breaker
ps: what's up with Kiira Korpi? My computer crashed during her skate, she must've had a lot of mistakes to be down in 7th place. *eek* The only thing I recall about her these past few season is her phenomenal beauty (reminds me of Tiger Woods ex-wife from Sweden). I know she gets high PCS points for her beauty, not only aesthetically but also out on the ice, even though she doesn't do the difficult jumps, that's what I recall anyhow.

Ladies is such a zzzz sport now that Mao has lost her jumps after the Olympics, and the beautiful multi-talented gorgeous jumper and aesthetically gorgeous skater Yuna Kim is no longer competing. Gone are the days of 7 triple programs with 2 3/3 combos., as well as the 3axel/2toe from Mao. *insert crying emoticon*

And American Ladies is even worse, for the first time in history we didn't stand on the Olympic podium. With our best shot, Mirai Nagasu, not having the eye of the tiger nor the work ethic of Michelle Kwan, rather that of Nicole Bobek imho.

What an ugly sport this has become for ladies, both aesthetically and in terms of jumps (excluding of course Alissa, Carolina, Kiira, Yuna Kim, and Mao; all World contenders; also the young Russian wonderbabies that are not old enough for Worlds).

Now onto the powerful fast technical & powerful MENS discipline, which I erroneously thought were competing tonight, lol)! :cool:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
For me, objectively, the results of this SP should have been:

01. Suzuki

02. Leonova
03. Asada

04. Gedevanishvilli
05. Wagner
06. Meite

07. Zawadski
08. Korpi

09. Ishikawa
10. Phaneuf

Rather close to the end result. I'm satisfied enough thus far.

christinaskater

Medalist
Mao was beautiful! A masterpiece in the making, i love everything about it.
Her artistry has improved leaps and bounds! Exquisite!

alexeifan

On the Ice
ps: what's up with Kiira Korpi? My computer crashed during her skate, she must've had a lot of mistakes to be down in 7th place. *eek* The only thing I recall about her these past few season is her phenomenal beauty (reminds me of Tiger Woods ex-wife from Sweden). I know she gets high PCS points for her beauty, not only aesthetically but also out on the ice, even though she doesn't do the difficult jumps, that's what I recall anyhow.

Ladies is such a zzzz sport now that Mao has lost her jumps after the Olympics, and the beautiful multi-talented gorgeous jumper and aesthetically gorgeous skater Yuna Kim is no longer competing. Gone are the days of 7 triple programs with 2 3/3 combos., as well as the 3axel/2toe from Mao. *insert crying emoticon*

And American Ladies is even worse, for the first time in history we didn't stand on the Olympic podium. With our best shot, Mirai Nagasu, not having the eye of the tiger nor the work ethic of Michelle Kwan, rather that of Nicole Bobek imho.

What an ugly sport this has become for ladies, both aesthetically and in terms of jumps (excluding of course Alissa, Carolina, Kiira, Yuna Kim, and Mao; all World contenders; also the young Russian wonderbabies that are not old enough for Worlds).

Now onto the powerful fast technical & powerful MENS discipline, which I erroneously thought were competing tonight, lol)! :cool:

Kira is stunning in the face, but her body is ill proportioned for skating. It almost seems like the dress she was wearing was wrong for her, it made her arms seem shorter. She really needs to work on her arm movements, her spins are not good, that's why she's down low in the placements. It's not right for a judge to give a skater high pcs based on their beauty.

However, I totally agree with you though on Mirai, she has no tiger eye before she skates like Michelle did. When I read what you said I had to laugh, because this is exactly what I've been thinking lately, what has happened to the ladies there are no women that have that look that Michelle had. It's so strange. It's almost as if all the ladies are going out there for their program and thinking, ok let's just get this over with, I don't care about the placements that much.

Last edited:

TelmoFe

Rinkside
Finaly, fantastic competition in women.
Akiko was amazing...adorable and great jumps, spins and steps!
Alena very well too, more Alena's worlds and fantastic interpretation.
Good to see Mao like that. This is the Mao world champion and amazing program. One of my favourites.
Good improve from Elena since last competition.
I don't see nothing special in Ashely. I don't know why but don't get my atention.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Btw, I remain steadfast on what I said about Carolina Kostner and her speed, which I found to be about equal for all the ladies at SA last year. ... then again fans tend to blow things out of proportion to the point that it becomes myth, and this goes for ALL the skaters, including Patrick Chan. I saw him skate live at the 2010 Olympics and he isn't all that. Jmho....

Thee most unappealing unaesthetically women's skater I've ever seen (ten times worse than the French girl in this competition; moreso with the fake sexiness, bleh).

Don't give a fig about her jumps, just hate her style, everything! YUCK!!!!

UGH, pleeeease bring back Yuna Kim, just so I don't have to see this Russian gal. :p

Nadine, Nadine, must you be so reserved? Try not to pull your punches so! :laugh:;)

Actually, I love your vibrant comments, especially after you've been to a live competition. Thanks for the refreshing honesty!

pohatta

On the Ice

Kiira has had some back problems so the 2t was a deliberate decision but the 1a of course wasn't. She has always had 3z and 3f planned in her LP but landing them both is a rare occasion. I think it last happened in Vancouver.

IN has the comp up now.

I just watched a few. Not so happy about Mao as some here. She's so thin it pains me to watch her - I keep thinking about the stories that will come out in a few years when we find out how much she suffered for this sport. She doesn't look happy/ready/eager to compete (compare Akiko!) - no tiger's eye for Mao - her smile is there but looks pasted on. Her Bielmann was labored (but pretty) and she didn't in any way convey the Arabian movements - they seem pointless. Well, at least the costume is pretty, and removes the stranglehold they had her in for years. I'm sure she'll improve her interpretation over the course of the season but as for the underlying misery... not so sure.

It's a lot more fun to watch Akiko! That was wonderful!

katia

On the Ice
Well
I just wanted to see the Phaneuf/Suzuki and others on Youtube and got following:
"ISU GP NHK Trophy - XXXXX - SP"
This video contains content from NHK, who has blocked it on copyright grounds.

I think I will stop being a fan of Japanese ladies and start cheering up everybody else but Japanese.

genki

On the Ice
akko--,yeah, Akko. (This is Japanese nick name for Akiko)

Wonderful performance, the best that I have ever seen in her. Gives me goose bumps.
So happy that matured woman like her made so much progress. Go for it Akiko.

Her coach was so shocked with her high score and said," What are you going to do with that?" Congrats!!

Mao--Much improved spins, speed and SS. Wonderful except botched 3a. but yeah, she looks painfully skinny. I do not understand why coach Sato believes that Mao should not gain anymore weight:confused:

burntBREAD

Medalist
I saw on the protocols that some judges gave Leonova low PCS scores, and I actually agree. I think Alena does deserve low scores in SS, TR, CH -- not her fault, but Morosov's choreography is AWFUL. All three jump passes crammed right at the beginning, the step sequence takes literally about a minute, then two spins at the very end. Half the program is posing, too.

chloepoco

Medalist
Well
I just wanted to see the Phaneuf/Suzuki and others on Youtube and got following:
"ISU GP NHK Trophy - XXXXX - SP"
This video contains content from NHK, who has blocked it on copyright grounds.

I think I will stop being a fan of Japanese ladies and start cheering up everybody else but Japanese.

I'm not getting the rationale on this....what does NHK blocking videos for all the skaters have to do with this?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Akiko!! YAY. So excited for her. As always she sold the program, but she had the tech elements to boot. If you remember, her 2009-2010 layout was (3F-2T, 3L, 2A = 15 BV) This year it's (3T-3T, 3Z, 2A =17.5). And not a single negative GOE ANYWHERE. Also I appreciate her working on flutz too. That lutz clearly was on the outside edge today. =)

I like Mao's program and I think it's well choregoraphed and the music cuts work well, esp. considering it's an overplayed piece. She would have been in second if she just did the 2A. That is what made up a majority of Alena's lead.

Still don't like Alena's program, but I do admit she can sell the judges pretty well, which probably helped her here.

Probably would've switched Elene and Ashley. Ashley was smart not to not include her flutz as she scored better here; I said she has an outside chance for a medal.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Leonova has really come a long way. It is just too bad she doesnt seem to have her old consistency to go with her artistic improvements.