Ladies Short Program 11/11/11 5:15 AM EST | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Ladies Short Program 11/11/11 5:15 AM EST

burntBREAD

Medalist
They're generally pretty good but do make some stupid comments from time to time. At CoC, Simon(?) believed Kexin Zhang from China would become a world champion one day.
Alena was low balled in her FP at SC. I think she's getting better artistically but let's be honest she's far behind Suzuki and Mao.

I can't find youtube links...

I agree that from time to time they do make some silly mistakes/say some odd things but what commentators don't? How is saying that a new up and coming skater who had an impressive debut could become a world champion "stupid"? She very well could be, we never know!

NHK has blocked all the Youtube videos aside from Universal Sports which has rights to it... :cry: They have the videos up on the NHK website but it's geoblocked too... :sheesh:

iriseyes

Rinkside
Yay!!!! Thank you so much. Now, that link is blocked in my country (may be for some of you others)...but if you use this it should work. ;)

https://www.vidproxy.com/

Just put the youtube link in the bottom and GO!

Prettykeys, you are a geo-un-blocking rock star! :rock:

Akiko was a breath of fresh air simply for landing her jumps! And yes, she skates with a lightness and joy that is lovely to see... If she wants to blow me away, I'd love to see her hold that look of joy going into the jumps (rather than suddenly becoming all business-like and doom-struck) so they can also be incorporated into the overall lightness and brightness of her program. :) And jazz up that step sequence... I'm no choreographer, but I just want to see more! Also, kind of love her costume!

As for Mao, so much that was so gorgeous. Those spins! That step sequence! Wow, Mao, Wow! Do anything other than a single on that jumping pass and everyone would be raaaaaaaaaving about Mao right now! Then again, I'll join the bandwagon worried about her weight... That costume in particular really accentuates her thin build. To do what she does, she must be all muscle or all mind-over-matter is all I can say because just looking at her I wouldn't think "athlete".

Gotta comment on my Canadian... awww Cynthia... :disapp: I get the sense she's going through a lot of ongoing mental battles... and there's just not a lot of depth in Canadian ladies. In a way, I think it's kind of awesome for all Canadian boys looking for an alternative to hockey that figure skating became a men-dominated sport (at the elite level) here, but seriously, wishing some of the awesomeness would rub off on the ladies!

skateflower

Match Penalty
Prettykeys, you are a geo-un-blocking rock star! :rock:

As for Mao, so much that was so gorgeous. Those spins! That step sequence! Wow, Mao, Wow! Do anything other than a single on that jumping pass and everyone would be raaaaaaaaaving about Mao right now! Then again, I'll join the bandwagon worried about her weight... That costume in particular really accentuates her thin build. To do what she does, she must be all muscle or all mind-over-matter is all I can say because just looking at her I wouldn't think "athlete".

!

That geo-un-blocking site is awesome. But how can I find the youtube links to other skaters on Universal Sports?

The music of Mao's program is bizarre. She skates through the music as background as usual. I do find she's faster and more confident than last season though.

skateflower

Match Penalty
I agree that from time to time they do make some silly mistakes/say some odd things but what commentators don't? How is saying that a new up and coming skater who had an impressive debut could become a world champion "stupid"? She very well could be, we never know!

:
I like Zhang's jumps and raw power. But her skating skills are very raw and her programs have absolutely no choreography. Potential for top 10 in the world down the road, maybe. But world champion, no way...

I think what he said was that "if China was to have a ladies world champion in the near future, it would be this one," meaning Kexin. And I think by near future, he meant, 6 years or so. That's the sense I got from him.

I will say it is FAR easier to add the missing pieces that her programs are lacking than it is to add the jumps.

But...we are at NHK now :)

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sorry being patriotic now, but we still have the best dancers, Torvill and Dean, I thank you!!

Hey, don't forget you also have an INCREDIBLE history in men's skating with John Curry and Robin Cousins, two of the very finest male skaters ever! :love:

christinaskater

Medalist
Akiko is truly for me one of the best skaters ever! Her passion and love for the sport is simply incredible. Her lightness, dance ability, exuberance and beauty shines and is felt by everyone. She is the only skater to have this effect on me after Michelle Kwan. She is simply incredible and is a wonderful inspiration.

I hope she would become a world champion, national champion, 4 continents champion and gpf champion. She will face incredible challenge from Alissa, Carolina, Mao, Adelina and Elizaveta but she is for me exquisite.

I love Mao, she has become a glorious performer now and has more connection and feel to the music. One of the best ever!

amateur

Final Flight
Love Mao's SP. Very Charming, well choreographed, well chosen cuts/arrangement, and I love what she can do with a COP step sequence. Her and perhaps Kostner have a unique ability in this element, where they look like they are actually in control of the thing and actually expressing music. Should probably add Akiko too (almost forgot her because the music choice for the steps in this particular SP is a little dull). Mao infuses a lighness and all that twizzly goodness

Don't quite enjoy this program from Akiko's on the same level, though the begnning looked promising (and nice dress!).

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Loved Akiko's ebulliance and her skate. If that wasn't enough, Mr. Sato's joy and pride always brings a huge grin to my face.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
That's true. But a year or two ago, even when she skated like this (and she did a few times, at CoC, at the GPF where Kim and Miki vaulted pass her with crap programs), the judges would still give her second tier PCS and keep her down. This year, she's getting her due. That's what I meant.

I think Akiko has improved quite a bit. She had passion and power before, but was a bit wild and rough. Now she's more refined and more in control while still keeps the passion and power. That might be why the PCS goes up. I started to love her this year for sure.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I watched Mao's program again and I have to say, I really love it. I think it's her best short program since her Nocturne program several years ago. I especially love the footwork section. It is so light and goes so well to the music. The cut and performance of Scheherezade is really different from what has been used (overused?) before. I really like it. I think Mao was underscored. Her axel was dinged not only for being only a single but got negative GOE, even though it was a pretty good single axel--another weird quirk in COP scoring. I also don't know why she was given negative GOE on her loop. And how does Mao get a PCS that is only .12 point above Alena Leonova? OK-I'll admit I haven't seen Alena's program, but unless she has really improved, I can't see her being so close to Mao on skating skills, choreo, intepretation, etc. It still wouldn't bring her that much closer to Akiko, but it would probably put her in second place.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
jenaj, the axel in the SP must be a double or triple. A single axel is automatically -3. Any missed required element in the SP automatically gets a -3 - a solo double/single (as opposed to a triple), a 2-2 as opposed to a 3-2 or 2-3, not putting in a combo, and the axel.