Men's Free Program, Sat. Nov. 12 at 10:55 pm EST | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Men's Free Program, Sat. Nov. 12 at 10:55 pm EST

jettasian

Match Penalty
Too bad that no Russians will make it to the GPF, otherwise, who knows what other snarky comments will be coming from you? Despite Takahashi getting 90+ for PCS, his total FS score still trails that of Chan's from Skate Canada when he was far from perfect. As for whether Takahashi can duplicate what he has done here in Sapporo, I think it's doubtful. Japan will not be holding any major Championship, save one 4CC, until Sochi. On the other hand, Canada will be hosting this year GPF and the very important pre-Olympic Worlds in 2013. Simply put, Chan is still his own greatest enemy. Takahashi needs to improve his consistency in his FS or else he runs a severe risk of being left home this year now that Hanyu is one the scene (in addition to Oda and Kozuka) and all 3 of them could easily beat Takahashi when he is off as he often was in the last 2 years.
No way Japan will leave Dai home regardless how he will skate at his national. This competition already shows that they have picked him as the #1 for their country, inflated his score to make him the #1 competitor for Chan.

Last edited by a moderator:

evangeline

Record Breaker
Maybe the judges used that to score his skate.

Considering Daisuke got all -3 GOE and a UR call on his 4F in the long, I don't think so.

Jettasian, since you've been constantly stating that Daisuke's marks were inflated at this competition, can you please specifically state on which areas/on which elements do you think he was inflated in? I'm not asking you to do this because I'm trying to be snarky, I'm genuinely curious to understand the rationale behind your statements and I think it will make for a very enlightening discussion.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Takahashi was good though again the GOE was so unrestrained and huge and way more than even Chan has recieved. I think this panel did want a rival to Chan in a way. That has been going through my head. Chan's top score with a 4/3 is 93 and Takahashi gets 90. I am glad the 4 flp is moving toward fully rotated and was not << but was even the < a part of the huge Takahashi score inflation here?

Good for Ross Miner and his medal which was not predictable at all

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
1. Takahashi is a lock for the World team as he'll likely leave the GPF as the highest ranked Japanese man (Oda would have to beat Chan to change that), and I think that one spot is reserved for that person. Miki Ando earned her Olympic spot based on the GP season, though she was behind Asada, Suzuki and Nakano at nationals.

2. Takahashi's improvement from last season is just wonderful. He refused to blame injury or any other issue for his skates, but I do wonder how much a role that had played. Anyway, he's skating with more fluidity than I've seen him before and his programs are a marked improvement over his ones last season. Lots to work on still (three DGs, no quad) but still an epic score. The GOEs weren't that generous, imo. His flawed jumping passes got scored negatively.

3. Echoing evangeline on the choreographed step sequence - just a stunner.

4. I can't wait to see this skated again.

5. Not loving Kozuka's programs this year, though.

lavender

Record Breaker
Just watch Verner and boy this just wasn't his week. The falls he had was just weird and awkward.

I don't know who should be last Mroz or Konstantin.

bekalc

Record Breaker
That rule had been eliminated since last year and it applied to the Japanese who finished the highest at the GPF, though not necessarily a medalist. So unfortunately, it is no longer possible to qualify through GPF. In any event, it is not a sure thing he will necessarily be the top Japanese man as Oda, Hanyu and Kozuka all still have a chance to qualify. His recent record at GPF has been quite dismal, finishing last in Beijing 2010.

To be quite frank if I'm the Japanese fed, I want to send Daisuke, Kozuka, and Hanyu to Nice.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
2. Takahashi's improvement from last season is just wonderful. He refused to blame injury or any other issue for his skates, but I do wonder how much a role that had played. Anyway, he's skating with more fluidity than I've seen him before and his programs are a marked improvement over his ones last season. Lots to work on still (three DGs, no quad) but still an epic score. The GOEs weren't that generous, imo. His flawed jumping passes got scored negatively.

His improvement from Japan Open just over a month ago is impressive. But as I figured, he and other Japanese skaters' training over the summer was inadequate due to circumstances. (As was Chan's.) The additional month did make a difference. But more importantly I think and also speculated that Tahahashi's motivation last season was weak and uncertain and he could be rejuvenated with new found purpose. His trip to France to seek artistic improvement indicated his new will. With the screw removed from his knee and new skates, he would likely be a different competitor from last season. Of course, he always has new hair and new costume wardrobe. :)

Kozuka, OTOH, is facing much discouragement after a very successful season.

OK, I just got to see it on the big-small-screen (NBC television) instead of the small-small-screen. Terry Gannon and Peter Carrouthers on commentary.

1. Mroz wasn't as awful as I expected. He would like to have those pops back, and he needs peppier music for his footwork sequence. He could easily pull it together and make the podium at U.S. Nationals.

2. I retract what I said about Takahashi dropping the quad from the program. If there was ever a fall that did not detract from the overall effectiveness of the performance, that was it.

I can totally see Takahashi challenging Chan. The artist versus the virtuoso.

skateflower

Match Penalty
No way Japan will leave Dai home regardless how he will skate at his national. This competition already shows that they have picked him as the #1 for their country, inflated his score to make him the #1 competitor for Chan.

Takahashi's scores will likely drop substantially if he doesn't skate clean and the competitions are held in other countries. Skate Canada and NHK have been notorious in terms of inflating host countries' skaters' scores.

In terms of Chan, his scores have been always inflated, much more than Takahashi's.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
OK, I just got to see it on the big-small-screen (NBC television) instead of the small-small-screen. Terry Gannon and Peter Carrouthers on commentary.

1. Mroz wasn't as awful as I expected. He would like to have those pops back, and he needs peppier music for his footwork sequence. He could easily pull it together and make the podium at U.S. Nationals.

2. I retract what I said about Takahashi dropping the quad from the program. If there was ever a fall that did not detract from the overall effectiveness of the performance, that was it.

I can totally see Takahashi challenging Chan. The artist versus the virtuoso.

And watching the 3F...he seem a lot closer to getting it. This time he only got a UR on the 3F instead of the DG he's received on past attempts. I think he can pull it off in due time.

Anyway you can tell how amazing of a performance that was when Peter and Terry stopped commentating after the first minute and of course the absolute giddy praise Peter was giving by the time it was over.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Anyway you can tell how amazing of a performance that was when Peter and Terry stopped commentating after the first minute and of course the absolute giddy praise Peter was giving by the time it was over.

Indeed! I watched the NBC broadcast too and I noticed one of Peter or Terry (couldn't really tell who it was) just giggled in sheer delight when Daisuke was striking the opening poses of his choreographic step sequence.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Okay protocol breakdown time, albeit a day late...

Jumps
Daisuke - 59.67
Taka - 57.63
Samuel -57.14
Ross - 56.84
Tomas - 52.91
Armin - 44.82
Konstantin - 42.97
Tatsuki -40.68
Brandon - 25.35 (ouch)

Non Jump elements
Daisuke 20.37
Taka - 19.04
Samuel - 17.38
Ross - 17.38
Armin - 16.30
Konstantin - 15.60
Brandon - 14.77
Tatsuki - 13.89
Tomas - 10.98 (ick)

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Takahashi's scores will likely drop substantially if he doesn't skate clean and the competitions are held in other countries. Skate Canada and NHK have been notorious in terms of inflating host countries' skaters' scores.

In terms of Chan, his scores have been always inflated, much more than Takahashi's.

Maybe I just don't get Chan, but I don't even think he's in the same league as Takahashi. Yes, he has the quad, but in everything else, Takahashi is superior. As the commentator said, he performs while others just compete.

^ I think that is the point. Chan competes. He is an expert in everything the ISU scoring system rewards. Baryshnikov choreographed by Balanchine would not get higher marks than Patrick in Skating Skills and Transitions, or in GOEs for his triple flip (Baryshnikov's goes off a flat. :) )

Takahashi should just forget all that and do his own thing. A champion never re-acts to what the other guy is doing. A champion does.

You got yours, I got mine. Come on. :yes:

seniorita

Record Breaker
If some of you are hardcore gymnastics fans, blues for klook was the floor exercise music used by Silivia Mitova of Bulgaria in the early 90's. It was so revolutionary and groundbreaking at the time and remains one of the most iconic routines of all time.
Thank you:biggrin:, I would never recognise it is the same music though, I have small memory of the program but I remember her.

I m catching up with the Lp, Dai was fantastic, his pcs are wow, but i dont care. He is the king.
Takahiko with mistakes, I didnt even notice them, I love this program.
Btw when I saw the results I thought this must have been a serious splatfest, so I havent watched the rest but congrats to Miner.

Joe welcome back and I hope you get well very very soon! :)

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Just watch Verner and boy this just wasn't his week. The falls he had was just weird and awkward.
Verner's still dealing with the effects of a back injury (see PJ Kwong's pre-event post). I hope to see him in better form later in the season. And with a new SP, too, because the one he has is just not right for him.

The LOLsiest comment of the event was when someone on Eurosport referred to one of Machida's moves as "John Curry-esque".

Agree with MM that Dai should be doing his own thing, not reacting to others. He doesn't need to prove anything to anyone, and can and should focus on what makes him unique.