Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Thread: Men's Free Program, Sat. Nov. 12 at 10:55 pm EST

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    ^ I think that is the point. Chan competes. He is an expert in everything the ISU scoring system rewards. Baryshnikov choreographed by Balanchine would not get higher marks than Patrick in Skating Skills and Transitions, or in GOEs for his triple flip (Baryshnikov's goes off a flat. )

Takahashi should just forget all that and do his own thing. A champion never re-acts to what the other guy is doing. A champion does.

You got yours, I got mine. Come on.
    hmmm. i don't know if that is exactly right. of course it is true that dai performs but that is precisely the point - that is him competing and using what he has that others don't. also he won't give up on the quad, which tells me that he is very into the competition side of things. his strategy seems to be that he will keep going for it but refuses to be derailed if he falls. he obviously has seen that he can still medal if he doesn't give up on the rest of the program. i imagine that he also knows he can't beat a clean chan without the quad...

anyway. splitting hairs probably.

i am thrilled for him and for ROSS!! i do really appreciate ross's style.

is it just me or does it seem like there are fewer 3x3 among the men this year? if so why is that? 3x2x2 combos are just not as exciting.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Thank you, I would never recognise it is the same music though, I have small memory of the program but I remember her.

I m catching up with the Lp, Dai was fantastic, his pcs are wow, but i dont care. He is the king.
    Takahiko with mistakes, I didnt even notice them, I love this program.
    Btw when I saw the results I thought this must have been a serious splatfest, so I havent watched the rest but congrats to Miner.

Joe welcome back and I hope you get well very very soon!
    If you search this music on YouTube, a lot of skaters have used it, especially in exhibitions. Lucinda Ruh skated to in in her gold bodysuit. Yagudin also skated to it in an exhibition.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    If that is a work in progress, I hate to think what other skater's programs should be called.
    Work in progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    That's an interesting observation, and at first I thought that was exactly it. But he wasn't close to perfection at NHK. I think maybe it's more about how comfortable Dai felt with the program; it is a departure from his usual music choices, and maybe it took time for him to warm up to it and really commit to the choreography and the performance? Or maybe having a cleaner skate did help with the timing and focus. I really don't know.

I still don't like the music, but I can't deny he expressed it beautifully.
    he was a lot closer than the last time I saw it - I don't believe in the perfect program. Something can always be done better.

^

Custom Title

And I thought catty fans are metaphorical!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by burntBREAD View Post
    Aww, so cute!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skateflower View Post
    Takahashi's scores will likely drop substantially if he doesn't skate clean and the competitions are held in other countries. Skate Canada and NHK have been notorious in terms of inflating host countries' skaters' scores.

In terms of Chan, his scores have been always inflated, much more than Takahashi's.
    You think Chan's 93 world short program was inflated much more than Dai's 90 short program? Chan's SC LP was much more inflated than Dai's NHK LP?

Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    Jettasian, since you've been constantly stating that Daisuke's marks were inflated at this competition, can you please specifically state on which areas/on which elements do you think he was inflated in? I'm not asking you to do this because I'm trying to be snarky, I'm genuinely curious to understand the rationale behind your statements and I think it will make for a very enlightening discussion.
    I don't need at every element of the score. I just look at the overall as mentioned above.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    Maybe I just don't get Chan, but I don't even think he's in the same league as Takahashi. Yes, he has the quad, but in everything else, Takahashi is superior. As the commentator said, he performs while others just compete.
    This is a competition, not Star on Ice. As for Chan's not in the same league as Tak, that's definitely your own view because I'm sure many will disagree with that statement.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jettasian View Post
    This is a competition, not Star on Ice. As for Chan's not in the same league as Tak, that's definitely your own view because I'm sure many will disagree with that statement.
    Only a very small number of skaters have been able to perform while they compete: Kwan, Yagudin, Kurt Browning, John Curry, Janet Lynn, Yu Na Kim, off the top of my head. Chan is not in that group, in my opinion.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by fscric View Post
    That's mighty generous of you to let Chan compete for bronze or 4th, shouldn't he be behind even Adam Rippon?

Yes, of course, if Rippon hopefully makes the U.S. team for Worlds. Chan is obviously stronger than Rippon in SS, quad jumps, reputation and experience. But even Rippon trumps Chan in artistic ability and musicality.

My point is that Dai and Jeremy have the best programs this season, and clearly are superior in artistry IMHO. Meanwhile, its been written in stone that Chan has the best SS, now backed up with quads, so that simply makes him unbeatable even with mistakes, in the minds of the judges, Canada, and his many fans. It may be surprising, but Chan still needs to develop artistry and musicality. He’s not quite there yet.

And along with developing more artistry, Chan should look to Dai to try and learn more humility.
    Last edited by Art&Sport; 11-14-2011 at 10:32 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Art&Sport View Post
    Yes, of course, if Rippon hopefully makes the U.S. team for Worlds. Chan is obviously stronger than Rippon in SS, quad jumps, reputation and experience. But even Rippon trumps Chan in artistic ability and musicality.

My point is that Dai and Jeremy have the best programs this season, and clearly are superior in artistry IMHO. Meanwhile, its been written in stone that Chan has the best SS, now backed up with quads, so that simply makes him unbeatable even with mistakes, in the minds of the judges, Canada, and his many fans. It may be surprising, but Chan still needs to develop artistry and musicality. He’s not quite there yet.

And along with developing more artistry, Chan should look to Dai to try and learn more humility.
    However, it is not written in stone that Chan is inferior in musicality and artistry to Takahashi, Abbott, and Rippon. Neither is your announcement that Daisuke and Abbott have the best programs this season. Many fans and judges beg to differ.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Art&Sport View Post

Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    Only a very small number of skaters have been able to perform while they compete: Kwan, Yagudin, Kurt Browning, John Curry, Janet Lynn, Yu Na Kim, off the top of my head. Chan is not in that group, in my opinion.
    not sure I'd have Yuna in there (or Kwan) without Chan... but I agree Dai reminds me a lot more of the others mentioned than Chan.

Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast