Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Ice Dance - Free Dance

Custom Title
    They are 17 and 20 not 11 and 12 and they seem to want to performn as 11 and 12 year olds. 2009 - 2010 was their least successful season and they seemed determined not to make the maturity leap mistake again.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    They are 17 and 20 not 11 and 12 and they seem to want to performn as 11 and 12 year olds. 2009 - 2010 was their least successful season and they seemed determined not to make the maturity leap mistake again.
    Okay, let me whip up a video of when they were actually 11 (and 14 and Alex's case) —

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6NrB23vPx8

We've seen this video before, but I want to point out that even when they were actually that age they weren't even skating like they were that young.

And here's another one of them skating when Maia was 12 --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mcxhn...eature=related

Hardly childish.

And yes, 2009-2010 wasn't their best season, that had more to do with Maia's growth spurt and less with their programs.

And obviously you did not see the same FD I did. The expressions were not all "smiley" as you like to call them. In fact, I noticed a clear effort to change expressions in different parts of the program.

ETA: Thanks for cleaning up the formatting Doris!
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 11-12-2011 at 03:28 PM.

Custom Title
    Shibutanis were NOT held in this competition. They won. Even with some small mistakes.
    But hey, if some people think that S/S were held up in this competition I ask you what would happen , (what strange theories will fly), if (rpt. if ) V/M will win over the D/W in G.P.
    LOL
    I think S/S improved. So did other pairs. But I really think that S/S program is keeping them back. I mean S/S program does nothing for me. It is technically very good but otherwise it is ...... empty.
    Last edited by katia; 11-12-2011 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jChamp View Post
    Wait. I'm confused. Do you like the Shibs or not??

Quote Originally Posted by blades of passion
    You jelly?
    I love learning new words. (Had to look this up.)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Here's a brief reminder for those who keep harping about Euro-centric/Russian-led conspiracies:
    1. There are a lot of countries in Europe,
    2. Many of which are ISU members.
    3. They are not all alike.
    4. Some of them have good relations; others have a history of animosity.
    5. There are not many NA countries.

Thus, it is very likely that judging panels will have more European judges than American ones. This does not make them biased, nor are the European judges "an eyesore". But these posts sure are.
    All true. All fair.

But if I suggest that the make-up of a judging panel favours certain skaters over others, am I inferring inequity or something unfair?

Custom Title
    I can't help wondering what the reaction would be if the US started "lending" judges to other federations and a panel had a US judge and two 'loaner' judges. I am sure there would be outrage and cries of "FIX". Yet this very same situation exists to day. BLR and UZB have "loaner" Russian judges; furthermore, many of the UKR, EST and LAT judges were trained under the Soviet system and their cultural preference is naturally for the Russian-trained skaters. In the JGP this season, there were as many as FOUR of these judges on a panel at some of the events.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Is ISR still using loaner Russian judges? They used to.

And isn't there a loaner Canadian judge somewhere or other in the system, too? I forget for which country.

The US should definitely loan judges if asked if the others do it.

Custom Title
    Congrats to Shibs for the first Gold in a senior ISU event as an Asian-descent couple!!!
    Last edited by hikki; 11-12-2011 at 05:18 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Is ISR still using loaner Russian judges? They used to.

And isn't there a loaner Canadian judge somewhere or other in the system, too? I forget for which country.

The US should definitely loan judges if asked if the others do it.
    Maybe USFSA should use loaner judges for the US Nationals.

Quote Originally Posted by Dots View Post
    lol...

In what universe were I/K more original than S/S ? The skated to Ave Maria for god's sake! and to add insult to injury they even copied one of the Shibutani's lifts And let's not talk about their OD.
    What lift are you talking about? They didn't copy any.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Well, their first 2 lifts are in Auntie Doris's book of stock lifts for dance teams. The first one is similar to the first one of the Shibs, but it's also similar to forty leven other teams' lifts. Here's what I&K had for lifts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PuNieI6uDs

Lift one - 1:21 rotational with Elena in a hair cutter, Nikita aborts getting on one foot (may be intentional, Nikita's arm about her waist

Lift 2 - 2:43 repeat lift one with Elena clasping Nikita rather than the other way round.

Lift 3 - 3:25 This one is interesting, if clumsy. Nikita clasps his arms about Elena with her free leg over his arms. She jumps into being cradled on his chest. She then rotates about Nikita over the back of Nikita's neck, while he gets on one leg. The dismount ends in a kiss (Elena on one foot on the dismount)

---

Lift four- 4:52 Nikita is in a lunge with one knee sliding on the ice. Elena's leg is wrapped about his other knee and she is stretched out parallel to the ice (to end pose). (The judges were not impressed with this lift and it got poor GOE. I wonder whether it was the part about being on his knee during the lift?

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Well, their first 2 lifts are in Auntie Doris's book of stock lifts for dance teams. The first one is similar to the first one of the Shibs, but it's also similar to forty leven other teams' lifts. Here's what I&K had for lifts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PuNieI6uDs

Lift one - 1:21 rotational with Elena in a hair cutter, Nikita aborts getting on one foot (may be intentional, Nikita's arm about her waist

Lift 2 - 2:43 repeat lift one with Elena clasping Nikita rather than the other way round.

Lift 3 - 3:25 This one is interesting, if clumsy. Nikita clasps his arms about Elena with her free leg over his arms. She jumps into being cradled on his chest. She then rotates about Nikita over the back of Nikita's neck, while he gets on one leg. The dismount ends in a kiss (Elena on one foot on the dismount)

---

Lift four- 4:52 Nikita is in a lunge with one knee sliding on the ice. Elena's leg is wrapped about his other knee and she is stretched out parallel to the ice (to end pose). (The judges were not impressed with this lift and it got poor GOE. I wonder whether it was the part about being on his knee during the lift?
    I find most of their lifts uninteresting. However, the lift (I think he talks about the first one) that Dots says was taken from the Shibutanis was not. They had the same one last year and it happened to be similar to what the Shibs did. But it's just a boring old lift that many pairs used, not one that they stole.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilvskating View Post
    Congratulations Shibs, I mean Maia and Alex These kids are amazing! Love their pure deep edges and precision and great unison. Powerful and light at the same time. W/P improved this season too. congratulations for another podium finish!

Well, I'm not worried about the politics or the lift calls or timing issues... I thought both the Shibs and the Canadians were great... I enjoy Maia and Alex's skating just a tad more... so the difference of .09 is fine by me...

did NOT like Ave Maria.... maybe it's just because they skated so roughly, but the choreography does nothing for me. And the German's Romeo and Juliet is not a great program either (don't care what Blumberg says... the music is yuck as is the choreography!)

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    I'd like to call for at least a 5 year ban on all versions of Ave Maria...

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast