Ice Dance - Free Dance | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Ice Dance - Free Dance

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
LOL - their programs and their performance of them are grotesque to me. It's not like I don't know the definition of the word.

You said "they are so awful and kind of grotesque". That's a personal attack.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
And the Shibs are held up once again. :disapp: No way W/P should have gotten only 92 (what they would have gotten without the -1.00) for that, especially since it was much cleaner than SC. In the end, I guess it was the lift deduction that cost W/P the gold, but I don't think it should have come to that. I'm just happy that they rebounded with a great FD after their messy SD. I think this should be enough to get them to the final.

I know that S/S are great technicians, and I respect them for that. But I'm sorry, that FD was empty aside from the required elements. There was just no spark. I don't get it.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
And the Shibs are held up once again. :disapp: No way W/P should have gotten only 92 (what they would have gotten without the -1.00) for that, especially since it was much cleaner than SC. In the end, I guess it was the lift deduction that cost W/P the gold, but I don't think it should have come to that. I'm just happy that they rebounded with a great FD after their messy SD. I think this should be enough to get them to the final.

I know that S/S are great technicians, and I respect them for that. But I'm sorry, that FD was empty aside from the required elements. There was just no spark. I don't get it.

Held up where? In PCS? Oh wait, W/P scored nearly two points more than them. And the Russians scored a point higher. In tech? Hardly. Despite winning, they still left points on the table with a level 2 element and a level 3 element.

Also "again?" Sorry I don't call losing the gold by 14 points to B/S in CofC being held up "again."

katia

On the Ice
Finally, I watched W/P. They were great. S/S were bland compared to them.
(btw, why W/P got deduction ?)

I've only seen W/P a few times and I/K perhaps once before tonight. I'm a little amazed at W/P's prominence. To my eye they don't suit each other stylewise or temperament-wise, her line is gawky, and her facial expressions comical. (I love him, though!) She's like the nasty-girl villain in a movie. That moment at the end where she goes from mourning to crowing in a flash is hysterical... as is the expression on her face when she realizes they lost. Someone's going to be throwing a hissy fit.

As for the Shibs... they astound and delight me. They make the difficult look effortless while skating as one. I'm very gratified by this almost-didn't-happen win after all the criticism they've gotten here this season.

ETA: Oh, and I/K ... lovely team in terrible material. What a beautiful woman, my goodness. But Ave Maria as the background to yet another Sturm und Drang romance? No.

Last edited:

cassiem

On the Ice
I respect the Shibs' technical ability but that free dance was bland and unoriginal.

I love the potential of Weaver/Poje and Ilinykh/Katsalapov's free dances but they need more mileage.

claphappy

On the Ice
Did the Shibutanis really end that far behind the music or was the audio off? I thought they were much more crisp and fun here than at Cup of China.

yeah, i was wondering about that too. i think the audio was off because it stopped a minute or two before the video.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
One could argue that being held up doesn't mean you score higher than your opponents, but that you score higher than you should.

gmyers

Record Breaker
You said "they are so awful and kind of grotesque". That's a personal attack.

I guess they are partners in inflicting the worst programs of the season so it is personal on them. All they care about is technical things and have those grotesque fake smiles and personalities on the ice that are held so long they seem unnatural and bizarre.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I've only seen W/P a few times and I/K perhaps once before tonight. I'm a little amazed at W/P's prominence. To my eye they don't suit each other stylewise or temperament-wise, her line is gawky, and her facial expressions comical. (I love him, though!) She's like the nasty-girl villain in a movie. That moment at the end where she goes from mourning to crowing in a flash is hysterical... as is the expression on her face when she realizes they lost. Someone's going to be throwing a hissy fit.

Not seeing this performance, I don't know how much it applies, but I've made the same comments about her behaviour for at least two Nationals.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
One could argue that being held up doesn't mean you score higher than your opponents, but that you score higher than you should.

Good point. But still, I didn't see them getting held up in CoC either. In fact they scored worse than they did in Finlandia and that was with a better FD, imo.

^ I don't know how you manage to sleep at night with such horrible programs stalking the earth and winning medals.

missysays

On the Ice
I think the judges agree with the opinion that the Shibs need more mature programs before they're going to have a more solid position at the top. If you look, they had the lowest PCS scores of the top three teams. Even lower than the PCS scores they got at Cup of China. Where they won is on the TES scores today. They had the highest base value on their elements- also really nice GOEs. They whole-heartedly deserved their tech and goe scores. They have some of the most glorious, cleanest movement, edging and positions in the world. They just need better choreography and packaging. Even with this more generic and youthful program, you could tell they were really listening to the music in this outing. Really stepped up the performance in all places- I could see Alex visibly slowing down and almost sighing with the swoop of the melody and they hit that closing pose/beat at the end of the program for the first time this season. It was great outing for them and the program made me very happy. It also showed how motivated they are to make so much artistic improvement in just one week- I can't wait to see how far it goes by the end of the season. This competition also showed me that they have true competitive mettle- they're not just going to cave in. Go Shibs!!

Having said that I think W/P had a really mature program and it was beautifully skated both technically and emotionally. The deduction looked like an extended lift. Otherwise, I think they lost mainly on the base value of the elements. Once they go home and have their coach look at it, I think it will be something they can easily fix for the later part of the season.

As for I/K, I really liked this program. It has a beautiful scope to it and interesting shapes and different ways of presenting the elements, such as the mirroring/oppositional twizzles. They just need to practice it more so they raise their GOEs. Of the top 3 couples they were the only one to get negative GOEs- which was deserved because it was messy in some places.

If you look at the PCS marks, W/P would have won and I/K would have come in second.

katia

On the Ice
." I'm a little amazed at W/P's prominence. To my eye they don't suit each other stylewise or temperament-wise,"
Spun Silver
I don't agree. I think they suit each other very well. And their technical content is much better then S/S. Not only that but they work very hard. If you look at the place they were two years ago and how they danced then they made enormous improvement.
But each to their own

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I respect the Shibs' technical ability but that free dance was bland and unoriginal.

I love the potential of Weaver/Poje and Ilinykh/Katsalapov's free dances but they need more mileage.

Tell me which teams are original.
Technical ability should reflect in skating skill. S/S's SS is lower than the other two teams. They are being held down, it looks like.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Hahahaha! :rofl: That's my favorite line of the month! Well done! :thumbsup: :points:

Someone also made a comment in the SD thread to someone "Did the Shibutanis steal your lunch money?" Just thinking of the sweet Shibs sibs doing either is cracking me up right now.