Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 167

Thread: Ice Dance - Free Dance

  1. #91
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    558
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Good point. But still, I didn't see them getting held up in CoC either. In fact they scored worse than they did in Finlandia and that was with a better FD, imo.
    I didn't see Finlandia comp, but will look for a video. Did you mean that this FD was skated better there, or is it a different program?

  2. #92
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,690
    Quote Originally Posted by katia View Post
    I disagree.
    Very much disagree.
    You disagree with what? winners can't be held down because they won?

  3. #93
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    7,409
    Quote Originally Posted by jcoates View Post
    Plus they lost a point for an extended lift in the SD, so the deductions were a wash. I/K were very unsteady in places and that program is waaaay too open and lacking in difficult transitions. She is gorgeous, but I feel like they depend far too much on her looks than on precision and execution.
    This sounds terrible, but I can't help feeling that Nikita is sort of a prop for Elena. He just is kind of there...ready to show her off, you know?

  4. #94
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,818
    Looking at the protocol, I note that judges gave W/P higher GOE and PCS over S/S. In other words, in the judges' minds, they had W/P first over S/S but due to the level on one element, which was the spin, a 2.00 difference in base value resulted in S/S being ahead. They were also helped by a 1.00 deduction for extended lift, which was again, not decided by the judges. To me, W/P had the performance of the night but their error on the spin was glaring, which I noticed as well - just didn't realize the penalty was that severe, a wopping 2.00 points on that element alone because elsewhere, their levels are identical to that of the Shibs.

    Regarding I/K, there was no question in mind that FD is below both W/P and S/S today. It was very, very obvious - way too much SBS skating and separations. Their in-between skating lacks intricacy. The lifts weren't terribly original and at times shaky. They had a good lead yet they blew it. I like the fact that judges are calling it as they see it, this should give the conspiracy theorists a rest.

    Overall, I am not sure what to take away from this competition. I feel they are all bunched fairly close together from 4th to about 8th in the world and these scores reflect that. In other words, a difference 1 or 2 points could determine a team finishing 4th in Nice or 8th instead yet getting the former vs. the latter is a big deal. Should make for a pretty exciting season to follow, I look forward to the GPF. Congratulations to all the medalists, job well done.

  5. #95
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    277
    I disagree with your opinion that S/S were held down.
    And that S/S are sooo much better then W/P

  6. #96
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,609
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    Thanks for telling me! You don't feel the same way about him, do you?
    No, almost the opposite. He tends to be a little bit of a headcase - he tends to make a mistake and then lets it get to him, thus making more mistakes. In fact, the biggest surprise for me is that he actually does well with the SD this season - he really projects a confident sexuality, something he (despite the fact that he's an obviously fine specimen of the human race) finds challenging. I've actually wanted her to give up a bit of her diva to him. He needs to be more a Peizarat or Ovsiannikov (aka, easily able to handle a scene stealer) than he is. I don't think they're necessarily mismatched, but I watch every skate paranoid he'll screw up.

    But I don't really love them either. I'm happier that they made the GPF because they'll need more mileage on these programs in a competitive environment.

  7. #97
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,690
    Quote Originally Posted by cassiem View Post
    Technical ability as in ability to execute the technical elements (twizzles, lifts, and spins). That doesn't necessarily mean they have the deepest edges. I/K's program had more originality than that paint-by-numbers program by the Shib's.
    so do IK have deeper edge? WP?

  8. #98
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,554
    Z/G were six points behind the top 3 teams in PCS. That's where the horrible crap programs of S/S should be. They PCS is losing but way too high for such crap. They are bing held up because they are a Spiliband team and train with DW and VM so they must be near their level! They are getting the benefit of the doubt even though two seasons in a row now they have delivered the exact same trash and garbage programs.

  9. #99
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    7,409
    Quote Originally Posted by auser View Post
    I didn't see Finlandia comp, but will look for a video. Did you mean that this FD was skated better there, or is it a different program?
    Here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsKuF...eature=related

    They scored a 92.63 at Finlandia.

  10. #100
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,181
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    This sounds terrible, but I can't help feeling that Nikita is sort of a prop for Elena. He just is kind of there...ready to show her off, you know?
    Perhaps he is the stem, and she is the flower....?

    Or they could be following in the grand ol' footsteps of Barbara Fusar-Poli and Maurizio Margaglio.

  11. #101
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    7,409
    Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    Perhaps he is the stem, and she is the flower....?

    Or they could be following in the grand ol' footsteps of Barbara Fusar-Poli and Maurizio Margaglio.
    Hm...I'd like Elena to give the GLARE OF DEATH sometime =) Though she seems so fierce then then she totally rips that perception with all peace signs at the kiss and cry.

  12. #102
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,020
    Nikita is not as poor as Margaglio. But I do feel this team is being groomed to perform like a 90's or 00s style team, where she is the entire focus of the duo.

  13. #103
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by cassiem View Post
    Technical ability as in ability to execute the technical elements (twizzles, lifts, and spins). That doesn't necessarily mean they have the deepest edges. I/K's program had more originality than that paint-by-numbers program by the Shib's.

    lol...

    In what universe were I/K more original than S/S ? The skated to Ave Maria for god's sake! and to add insult to injury they even copied one of the Shibutani's lifts And let's not talk about their OD.

  14. #104
    Custom Title demarinis5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,995
    Quote Originally Posted by katia View Post
    @Flat Fan

    S/S were held down....they should have won.
    ups, but they won, didn't they?
    I would say that W/P were the team that was held up in the SD, they were messy and had
    more than one mistake. If the Shibs were held up please show me where. Have you looked
    at the protocols? The shibs margin of victory was minuscule and they knew coming into to the FD in 3rd place
    that in order for them to win it would be on TES and that is exactly what they did. Afterall this is sport.
    The judges gave the edge to the Shibs and imo rightfully so.

  15. #105
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    Z/G were six points behind the top 3 teams in PCS. That's where the horrible crap programs of S/S should be. They PCS is losing but way too high for such crap. They are bing held up because they are a Spiliband team and train with DW and VM so they must be near their level! They are getting the benefit of the doubt even though two seasons in a row now they have delivered the exact same trash and garbage programs.
    Wait. I'm confused. Do you like the Shibs or not??

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •