Pairs LP | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Pairs LP

Art&Sport

Medalist
Like I said upthread, Flattfan: I don't defend judges, but I do have eyes, heart, mind and soul -- and I can see and feel, and maintain an open mind when superb athletes like S/S try to push themselves past their comfort zone and bring something new and different to the ice. OTOH, K/S are just trying to survive out there.

S/S syndrome indeed! May we all be so blessed! Thank you, skate gods! End of discussion.

gold12345

Medalist
Ouch, a lot of mistakes from pretty much all the pairs. K/S rebounded relatively well from the SP. Too bad for S/S, but you can't be on all the time. They have wonderful programs... They'll be fine. Denney/Coughlin were rather off today. Their usual lovely triple twist was even off. They probably should look into modifying some of those lift positions to try to make them more attractive, particularly the final lift (although a judge gave it a +3?). And Iliushechkina still needs to eat something.

I thought Caitlin is tiny. 5ft tiny.
Girl T and Boy T look great together. Their lifts, their transitions, their twist, and every hand movements are amazing. But she just can't land her jumps consistently enough. What's her success rate in landing the 3S and 3T? like 1 in 4?

No way, Caitlin Yankowskas is more like 5'3". She needs a very tall partner, not Tran.

Takahashi and Tran have such beautiful skating. To be fair, he did not really jump any better than her today. To me, their biggest issue is by far their throws. But their overall look on the ice and the gorgeous positions she hits make up for a lot of their weaknesses. They really do have some standout qualities. Still, the fact that they could get the silver here with all their mistakes just shows how poorly skated this event was as a whole.

Last edited:

cassiem

On the Ice
This is so wrong. The Canadian pair is so much better than T/T.
Well they have better jumps and throws but I personally find T/T far more watchable. They have amazing softness and elegance. When I watch them, I'm reminded how beautiful pair skating can be. I don't find that with the Canadian pairs even if they're more consistent.

Last edited:

skateflower

Match Penalty
Well they have better jumps and throws but I personally find T/T far more watchable. They have amazing softness and elegance. When I watch them, I'm reminded how beautiful pair skating can be. I don't find that with the Canadian pairs even if they're more consistent.

To me, it's the opposite. T/T are just boring with those 'lyrical' piece. Everybody can do those things with slow music. M/MT(?) are energetic and their elements are superb. I don't really like D/R though. They're too sloppy.

cassiem

On the Ice
To me, it's the opposite. T/T are just boring with those 'lyrical' piece. Everybody can do those things with slow music. M/MT(?) are energetic and their elements are superb. I don't really like D/R though. They're too sloppy.
Not everyone can skate with as much elegance as T/T. Certainly not Moore-Towers and Moscovitch.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

I definitely like M/MT a lot this year. Their Henry V program is just to die for. I think T/T is graceful, but the fact they can't do jumps is a big minus. As I said, they could be good ice dancers.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I just can't get into M/MT at all. They look really rough. She looks like a cracked out Caydee Denney circa her trailer trash day.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I definitely like M/MT a lot this year. Their Henry V program is just to die for. I think T/T is graceful, but the fact they can't do jumps is a big minus. As I said, they could be good ice dancers.

Where do you think they will be as ice dancers? Top 10 in the world?
They are top 10 in the world as a pair. Why would they trade that for a top 10 in the world in dance? A bird in the hand is certainly better than top 10 in dance.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Where do you think they will be as ice dancers? Top 10 in the world?
They are top 10 in the world as a pair. Why would they trade that for a top 10 in the world in dance? A bird in the hand is certainly better than top 10 in dance.

Hm... I haven't really thought of it like that. I just think they have qualities that would translate well in ice dancing and certainly they would be an improvement over the Reeds.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
yes, they do have all of that dancing qualities. They look really good together. their little hops here and there are just pure joy.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Takahashi/Tran have better lifts, stronger choreography, and better carriage than either Moore-Towers/Moscovitch or Duhamel/Radford. I also think they happen to be a better match than D/R as well (Mt/M are well matched to each other). Both Canadian teams are stronger jumpers, of course, and Mt/M have a beautiful program this year, one of my favourites, but PCS wise they should be between 0.5 and 1 point behind T/T on each component, imo.

Kinga

Medalist
Finally a good performance from K/S in this beautiful LP! Not clean, but... The best they have done so far with that material. This program is a masterpiece and hides their weaknesses very well. Or they stop matter, when K/S skate it without major mistakes. I am not their fan, but this one always touches me.
Just go and work on the SP, because it is horrible.

Girl T needs to learn how to land her jumps. I said last season, and I'm saying it again. I don't see them going anywhere if girl T continue to make mistake in almost every SBS jump.

Well, it seems that they get far even with her mistakes.. It makes me have VERY mixed feelings about them. Yes, they are gorgeous, but overscored, IMO.

S/S LP is possibly great stuff, but it must grow on me (it is the first time I have seen it). Maybe mistakes did not help me to receive it well.
Nice costumes though, for a change! Mistake in the lift aside, they should work on the lifts in general. They are not very attractive. IMO, even some lower ranked pairs come up with more interesting positions. S/S are so innovative. But it does not show in lifts.

A word about Italians. The beginning of the program was nice, but later the music gets too monotonous. They should break this program into 2 music pieces.

LLLLutz

Rinkside
ETA: I don't defend judges, but I do have eyes, heart, mind and soul -- and I can see and feel, and maintain an open mind when superb athletes try to push themselves past their comfort zone and bring something new and different to the ice. OTOH, K/S are just trying to survive out there.

I do see K&S developing, both technically and artistically through the years. And for a pair, facing so many difficulties (they don't match each other that well, both are old and have lots of injuries), they have done an amazing job.
After all, there's an example of both Chinese veteran pairs "trying to survive out there" in 2010 season, and both did well, very well, I would say, beating stronger technically and innovative Germans both at Olympics and worlds that year. So there is nothing impossible for K&S.

seniorita

Record Breaker
S/S program is so beautiful even with mistakes; it made me watch the movie!

K/S have a nice program as well , and i liked her COC short program dress much much better!

are judges dropping my fav I/M? She is such a joy to watch and i love their new lp; I want them to go to euros this season and i dont see it happening :no:

skateflower

Match Penalty
Finally a good performance from K/S in this beautiful LP! Not clean, but... The best they have done so far with that material. This program is a masterpiece and hides their weaknesses very well. .

I'm wondering if you watched Castile/Okolski skating to the same music before?
http://www.youtube.com/user/covertcovert#p/u/16/bdp2ijC7DTg

I am still scratching my head how K/S could win 2 world medals while C/O was never able to crack into top 8.

herios

Medalist
are judges dropping my fav I/M? She is such a joy to watch and i love their new lp; I want them to go to euros this season and i dont see it happening :no:

Is the judges fault that she doubled both her soio jumps and 2 footed her Th3loop?