NHK "highlights" on NBC RIGHT NOW | Page 2 | Golden Skate

NHK "highlights" on NBC RIGHT NOW

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Mao was great, I said she'd show up and I was right. Her costume was enchanting...such a butterfly and ASHLEy was robbed. Cannot beleive she was not bronze. Can she go to GP final?

Can she go to GP final?

I don't think so. Kostner and Suzuki are in with 28 points. Then there are Tuktamisheva and Czisney with 15 plus one more event. Kostner could rain on both Alissa's and Elizaveta's parades in France, but they will still probably both make it. Asada and Sotkinova have 13 and 11 points, respectively, with Russia to go.

Plus, even if a miracle happens, Mirai holds the first tie-breaker over Ashley, so Mirai would go if somehow someone with 20 points makes the cut. Leonova is also at 20 points and could improve by making the podium in Russia.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Well, I am glad Ashley spoke up for herself. She really deserved third place. Much better program, skate, costume, everything than Leonova, with one mistake. I hope she kicks butt at nationals. I like her passion for the sport and would be glad to have a new national champion. I am in her corner, she needs supporters.

burntBREAD

Medalist
Right now, Kostner and Suzuki are both for sure in (both have 28 points).
Tuktamisheva and Czisny both have 15 points, and will most likely easily make the GPF.
Asada has 13 points, and as long as she makes the podium at COR, will also most likely make the GPF.

That's 2 for sure, 3 almost for sure. One spot left, and I think it will go to Sotnikova, who just has to medal and place above Leonova at COR to make the GPF, not unreasonable by any means.

If Leonova does not podium at COR (I predict Asada and Sotnikova will place above her, a chance of Korpi and even Imai as well) and Helgesson does not podium at TEB (likely, as Czisny, Tuktamisheva, Kostner, and Murakami are all there), Mirai will win the tiebreaker against them and will be first alternate.

Imai still theoreticaly has a chance to qualify because she has 9 points from SA, and she is assigned to COR which is pretty open -- however, she is not the most consistent of competitors. If she places 1st or 2nd and beats Sotnikova, Leonova, and Helgesson in the process, she will win the tiebreaker and go to the GPF. Gao has even smaller likelihood -- she must place at least 2nd at COR to tie Nagasu, have Sotnikova and Leonova off the podium, and beat Nagasu's overall score to win the tiebreaker.

Kostner being at TEB could throw a wrench into things because she might take placements away from others.

I'm not 100% sure about all of these! Please check to make sure, don't take my word for it!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
OTOH, the men's from US sports included the SP's of Mroz, Miner, Kozuka & Takahashi, and that wasn't advertisted. US Sports labelling stinks.

Johar

Medalist
I had Fashion on Ice. Sarah Hughes looks so much better now than years ago. Sasha was divine!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Yes, Sarah is a lady now, with nice dark hair. It looks like she had her teeth capped and her skin looks better. She seems to be around skating more, and while I think she is elegant, her skating, once so impassioned and driven seems mediocre. She does not have that joy or charisma/expression she used to. I guess the skating/celebrity scene is what she wants. i thought she was headed to Law school. ?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I wish the NBC recap had shown Samuel Contesti rather than Brandon. Contesti's LP was on the US Sports program, and it was an enjoyable program.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I wish the NBC recap had shown Samuel Contesti rather than Brandon. Contesti's LP was on the US Sports program, and it was an enjoyable program.

It sure was. Contesti really captured the character of the music, his jumps were on, great costume
and he is such a flirt with the audience. Very enjoyable indeed.

Yes, Sarah is a lady now, with nice dark hair. It looks like she had her teeth capped and her skin looks better. She seems to be around skating more, and while I think she is elegant, her skating, once so impassioned and driven seems mediocre. She does not have that joy or charisma/expression she used to. I guess the skating/celebrity scene is what she wants. i thought she was headed to Law school. ?

Yeah, before I figured it out (I came in at the middle of the program), I thought she was Emily. I had never found anything hugely special about her skating, except the Olympic long program and that "Bye Bye Blackbird" exhibition program, but I'm glad she's doing some skating now.

In fact, I was going to ask here if anyone could let me know what I should look for in the quality of her skating: edging, positions, and so on, so I could form a clearer picture of what I'm looking at.

dwiggin3

Final Flight
I have to agree with you. Her commenting is very good. I like it better than her skating!