Dorothy Hamill's life | Golden Skate

Dorothy Hamill's life

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I picked up her autobio for a buck and was surprised at how much she dealt with from both husbands. Published in 2007, its no new news but new to me. She is still so pretty and I wonder if she gets any offers to skate. I remember vaguely when Dino died, she was with a real jerk, the doctor. Poor Doro had to support everybody. I remember when she bought Ice Capades and that bankruptcy. Olympic gold medalists usually have such sacrificial parents. I'm glad I only paid a buck at the library sale, but it's pretty good, not the usual glossy pr book.

Anyone read a good skating insider's book to reccomend? Is Scott Hamilton's last book worth the time?

Last edited:

jcoates

Medalist
Peggy Fleming's memoir is pretty good. She's had a much tougher life than her glamorous image would suggest, both as a teen and in adulthood. It's also got nice touches of lighthearted humor. It's called "The Long Program."

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I really wish Kristi would write one... and that Kurt would write an updated one (though every time he's asked he says he has no interest... wonder if that's because Sonia enjoys as much privacy as they can get? :laugh: )

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My favorite skating book is still Steve Milton's Skate Talk. It's a collection of interviews with skaters, coaches, and others deeply involved in the sport. Michelle is on the cover, and it's circa 1997/1998.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I really liked Toller Cranston's Ice Cream: Thirty of the Most Interesting Skaters in History [Hardcover]

I also enjoyed his various memoirs. He has published several.

Toller always writes interesting books, but I haven't seen the one you mentioned, Doris. I loved Scott's book and highly recommend it, because he talks about skating and other skaters as well as his own life. Sandra Bezic's glossy large-format book, called I think A Passion to Skate, is wonderful because the photos and her commentary combine to tell so much about the skaters she works with in terms of their craft. It's worth seeking out.

I felt bad about Dorothy when I read about her second husband. A lady of class...when some interviewer asked her about her husband's philandering, she merely smiled and said, "I don't know where he found the time!"

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Scott has two books. the one that came out in 1999 and the one that came out in 2007? 2009? somewhere in there. The second one, as I understand it, is more of an inspirational Chicken Soup for the Soul type.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^ No, skateluvr, the Scott CARES show is a one time even this year that hasn't been aired on TV. I wish TPTB would release a DVD of it, with the proceeds going to raise funds for his foundation and cancer research. I bet a number of skating fans would buy it in a heartbeat.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
^ No, skateluvr, the Scott CARES show is a one time even this year that hasn't been aired on TV. I wish TPTB would release a DVD of it, with the proceeds going to raise funds for his foundation and cancer research. I bet a number of skating fans would buy it in a heartbeat.

IIRC they did release a DVD of it a few years ago... sales were so poor they didn't do it again.

silverpond

On the Ice
Dorothy Hamill's life has had some challenges, that's for certain. She rose to megafame at the age of 19 when she won the gold medal at Innsbruck, and struggled to come to terms with her celebrity status. She wrote of the strain of touring with Ice Capades - of the expectations by the audience and herself that she would always skate a perfect routine. Her first husband, Dean Paul Martin was a playboy, and her second husband - can't think of his name but he was a former member of the Canadian Olympic ski team - was also a playboy. At least she had a beautiful daughter with her second husand. Dorothy purchased Ice Capades, and that venture went bankrupt after just after a few years. She had osteoarthritis, a condition that nearly ended her skating skating career. A few years ago she was diagnosed with breast cancer, and recently went public that she had suffered from clinical depression. She was onsite at the Vancouver Olympics and gave a few televised interviews. Without being unkind, Dorothy looked quite tired and drawn. She revealed at that time she had recently remarried for the third time. I certainly wish Dorothy all the best for personal and professional happiness.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
IIRC they did release a DVD of it a few years ago... sales were so poor they didn't do it again.

Toni, is that the DVD with Michael Feinstein as musical guest? If so , I bought it @ Mike Weiss' Foundation show a few years back. It has a wonderful cast, and IMHO, it's a real keeper.

Re: Dorothy. I have the book (received it as a gift). She has had a difficult life. I am happy to hear that she has remarried, and hope that she has much happiness in her life to come. I have always had a soft spot for her - had her wedge cut for years! :biggrin:

Last edited:

Ice Princess

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Last Christmas, my husband gave me a diamond necklace from Dorothy's line!! :) It was so special~

Treat him like gold, Ice Princess!

I was going through things the other day and came upon my Dorothy Hamill doll. Not jewels, but I will walk past a diamond display to ooh and aah at dolls any day.