The Bridesmaid Syndrome

fairly4

Medalist
i would mention,

irina slutskayia, maria butryskayia,
mao asada, davis and white,
shibutania, but they are still skating.

if you are going to include olympics than it includes,
rosalyn summner, timothy goebel, sasha cohen.
all the skaters who didn't win ogm.

if you mean nationals , worlds,
than it includes, ilia kulik, alexei urmanov, alexei yagudin-no national title, .
all the skaters who didn't win a national world title.

fairly4

Medalist
also for me -bridesmaid means 2/3 or 3/3 winning titles-national/worlds. national/worlds/olympics.

otherwise somone who didn't win is always a bridesmaid, and negatates that persons accomplishments as a skater.
because if you figure skating fans would look back and see who won you own nationals, worlds, olympics, more recently and in the past a few ogm
medalist didn't win either nationals-oksana baiul, alexi yagudin,sarah hughes
worlds-alexi urmanov, robin cousins, sarah hughes, madga julin maury,
so bridesmaid to me is degratory.
so they didn't win ogm-ogm is luck and politics, if the judges, federations want you to win, they will back you and change the rules to suit that skater/team to win.

skateflower

Match Penalty
The definition of bridesmaid is not clear here. For me, they're those skaters who are less favored by judges for whatever reasons(political, perceived critical technical or artistic weakness, boring etc) no matter how hard they try. They're those skaters who in fans' opinions, perform brilliantly and cleanly but still lose to judges' favorites from time to time.

Two opposite examples:
Russian pair P/T definitely belonged to this category even they actually won a world title. They skated cleanly at 2006 worlds but still lost to P/T and Z/Z.,
Sasha, not so much a bridesmaid. Judges loved her and would not hesitate to put her in first place despite some of her flaws. Unfortunately, she always messed up herself.

DancerLily

Rinkside
Sarah Meier used to be always the second european after Carolina (Euros 06,07,08, NHK 07...)...but she became an ultimate bride at her last competition :clap:

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
That was the case of a maid of honor stealing the groom.

More like the flower girl stealing the groom. Under no circumstance should that have happened, but oh well. She did give the best ever performance of her life there, and I suppose that's what the Olympics are about.

More like the flower girl stealing the groom. Under no circumstance should that have happened, but oh well. She did give the best ever performance of her life there, and I suppose that's what the Olympics are about.
LOL. Well put. Welcome to GS, LiamForeman and DancerLily.

silverpond

On the Ice
Too bad about Bonaly- couldn't even win over Yuka Sato!

My goodness! I could not imagine Bonaly winning over Sato at Worlds or the Olympics. IMHO, there was no comparison between these two women. Sato skated with classic grace, elegance, ease, and power, while Bonaly never actually mastered basic figure skating stroking skills. Without being critical, Bonaly's skating was an acrobatic act on the ice, with little between her jumping passes. Sorry for all of her fans - this is just my two cents, of course.