Cynthia Phaneuf switches to Orser | Golden Skate

Cynthia Phaneuf switches to Orser

rain

Record Breaker
This is excellent news. Phaneuf has everything it takes to be a great skater. She is powerful and gorgeous on the ice, and her jumps are actually huge — she just never seems to believe that she can land them. Her artistic expression and musical sensitivity is already second to none. Orser seems to be able to instil some fight and some confidence in his skaters, and I hope he can do the same with Cynthia.

CdnSkateWatcher

On the Ice
It's interesting ... Brian seems to be becoming a point of destination for underperforming skaters, and it seems he has an ability to pull potential out of them. It will be intriguing to see how she does ... and if he turns Cynthia around, his reputation as a turnaround artist will only be enhanced.

herios

Medalist
It's interesting ... Brian seems to be becoming a point of destination for underperforming skaters, and it seems he has an ability to pull potential out of them. It will be intriguing to see how she does ... and if he turns Cynthia around, his reputation as a turnaround artist will only be enhanced.

I don't really agree with this. Some do work out, others not as much. With Fernandez there is instant improvement, the Rippon 3 axel experience didn't work out. I hope Cynthia will fall into the first category

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I agree with herios. The turnaround coaches seem to be the Dungjens.

However, this might be the change Cynthia needs. Hasn't she been with her coaches for as long as her career? Also, this might show that she is serious about sticking around. Canada's ladies program needs her.

Last edited:

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Let's hope Brian Orser could do Phaneuf what Jason Dunjeon did to Alissa Czisny.

As of now, I usually switch channel at the very first missed jump, knowing that she would usually miss more jump landings based on my past experience of watching her. Too messy for me to watch her skating. No amount of artistry would compensate that fact.

lantern_bearer

Rinkside
Let's not forget Elene Gedevanishvilli,
IMHO she had one of her best perfomances in years at NHK, she has her triple lutz and double axel triple tow back it's such a shame about her silly fall in the foot work. I hope Brian can work some of the same magic on Cynthia... Good luck to them both!

Layfan

Record Breaker
Ah, Cynthia. She must be so frustrated. I wonder how long she has been contemplating this move. The timing is a bit strange.

I don't think Brian is a fix-it coach but I'm sure he is a very good coach. Sometimes just having someone new tell you new things or things in a different way helps. But of course, it's mostly up to Cynthia. I wish her luck.

jatale

On the Ice
If Brian sticks with coaching I have a feeling he might become one of the greats in that field. Time will tell.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Maybe Orser can break Cynthia of her habit of stalking jumps. IMO, her pops and falls are mostly caused by slowing just before she takes off.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Maybe Orser can break Cynthia of her habit of stalking jumps. IMO, her pops and falls are mostly caused by slowing just before she takes off.

A sports psychologist might help her with that. She seems scared to jump, but when she goes into the jump with seemingly no fear, she literally is one of the biggest jumpers in ladies.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Anything might help. I really don't see what some see in her. I guess I compare current ladies to Jro and she was/is so much better. I wonder who Canada feels is their fave lady over time? For me it would be Jro.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
Anything might help. I really don't see what some see in her. I guess I compare current ladies to Jro and she was/is so much better. I wonder who Canada feels is their fave lady over time? For me it would be Jro.

Barbara Ann Scott - she is still a national icon.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Barbara Ann Scott - she is still a national icon.

Really? Most people I know have no absolutely no clue who Barbara Ann Scott is. However, many of them do know about Joannie from the Olympics, with quite a few of them "like"-ing her Facebook page.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Brian sticks with coaching I have a feeling he might become one of the greats in that field. Time will tell.

I'd :love: to see that happen. Wishing that this coaching change for Cynthia works out well for both of them.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I hope that Orser succeeds with Phaneuf, but I have some doubts of her being "a lost case". She is a very athletic looking person, but apparently all that athletism does not seem to give her much help in the jumping. Actually I wonder if she is in the wrong sport? Anyway, looking forward to see how she fares with Orser.

Last edited:

skatingfan04

Final Flight
Wow. I guess I should have seen that coming, but I really didn't expect a mid-season switch. Maybe Orser can bring back the Cynthia who skated lights out at the 2010 Worlds.